Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2008, 09:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torresdale View Post
Wow. Well, thank you for correcting me on every single thing I said. And I look forward to you making me feel stupid in the future, thanks!
I wasn't trying to make you feel stupid. Sorry if you took it that way. I have heard these words somewhere else and commented on that. I just thought it was interesting. I have never heard "jughandle" used anywhere. I'll take your word for it that it's a Philly thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 09:34 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Here's one - In the deep south older people often pronounce yes "Yayus". This is especially true among older women. Also I heard my late mother call soft drinks Cokecolas. I always heard her say the k in that word.

Unfortunately I hear the word "Jayzus" for Jesus. I don't think everything intended for the long e sound needs converting to the long a. But if you don't down here you get accused of bein' a yankee (a folk from somewhere else!)

Old 06-16-2008, 06:51 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
I still call a yard a yard, not a lawn. I will also still call an outside faucet a spigot. If something is knocked over it's tumped.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:58 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
When we first married, we lived in Fayetteville and had friends from the Northeast. I found it confusing when she would mention that she was going to bring something to somebody. In the mountains of NC we take something to somebody and we ask them to bring it to us; but when they bring it to us they are taking it to us. In other words, if you are in the possession of something, you are taking it; but you ask the other person to bring it. I had never heard someone say they were bringing something to someone in my entire life. Everyday is an education.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:28 AM

539 posts, read 1,804,070 times
I'm not sure if it's the amalgamation of so many languages or what - but Louisiana has a dialect which I still can't quite understand. The people often turn many syllables into one and one into many.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:46 PM

41 posts, read 136,004 times
First off I wanted to say that this is a great thread. I am from the Binghamton, NY area close to the PA border. We tend to use words literally. The only thing we may do is shorten the word or term just to save time.

For instance hearing the word "pop" will irritate almost everyone here. The original term was "soda-pop", meaning soda is what it is, and pop is what it does. So people that say pop are looked at like they are really fascinated by the idea of carbonation or something. And some people will look at it like a free pass to "pop" you in the arm.

We do say coke as well, but only when we want a coke. Even a waiter/waitress will say "we only have pepsi, is that o.k.?" On a side note when I was a kid in Salt Lake City they referred to soda as fountain drinks, and pretended to not know what soda was.

If you say tennis shoes here you will be asked how much tennis you play and how good are you at the game.

If someone says ya'll or yonder the usual response is if the person is somewhat nice is why don't you go back over the border to Pennsylvania, if they are not so courteous it's why don't you go back over the border to Pennsyl-tucky

If you say ma'am to any female no matter how old they are, they will be offended, which I have never understood. Same goes for sir. You will almost always hear "my father or grandfather was sir". I think it is respectful to use these words. I think it sounds better than "hey lady" or "hey guy, but people in this country are obsessed with staying young.

We use the term sub here, but grinder and hoagie are acceptable as well. The fact is we just love huge sandwiches and anyone who also loves huge sandwiches no matter where you're from. As evidence of this if you remember when subway only had two breads white and wheat, they decided to do a few month trial on their new breads to see what people thought. They targeted the two biggest sub markets in the world, the Seattle area and Syracuse and Binghamton NY.

The only other one I can think of is that we use both turn signal and blinker. But one is positive and the other is negative. For instance " I like it when people use their turn signal, or I always make sure to use my turn signal when changing lanes on the highway."

The other would be " look at that jack*** driving with his blinker on. Or that a-hole refuses to use his blinkers and he wont stop cruising in the left lane."

Old 06-16-2008, 12:51 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yo is slang that is used most everywhere. It is possible it started in Philly.
Took me awhile to figure out why this is: In the thickest Phillyspeak, "you" is pronounced "yo."

Old 06-16-2008, 01:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
According to my daugher who went to college in Minnesota, "Interesting" in Minnesotan is something you say when you can't think of anything nice to say.

Ex:

Person A: "I'm going to paint my house pink".

Person B: "Interesting".

Old 06-16-2008, 02:06 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
As far as the saying is Pepsi ok thing, when you serve Pepsi products you have to legally say that it is Pepsi or the restaurant can be fined.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:37 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
According to my daugher who went to college in Minnesota, "Interesting" in Minnesotan is something you say when you can't think of anything nice to say.

Ex:

Person A: "I'm going to paint my house pink".

Person B: "Interesting".
Haha! It's the same as "Bless your heart" in the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City