Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 02:56 PM

4,511 posts, read 4,043,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
Seattle would be high up on that list, though I would also note that Tacoma is quickly becoming the seat of black culture in the Pacific NW.
Why would a predominately non black city be one of the worst cities for blacks when there are cities with black neighborhoods with high crime and homicide rates? Seems like any city known for bad black neighborhoods would be the worst for black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 04:06 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Why would a predominately non black city be one of the worst cities for blacks when there are cities with black neighborhoods with high crime and homicide rates? Seems like any city known for bad black neighborhoods would be the worst for black people.
Many times, "cities with bad black neighborhoods", also has Black neighborhoods that are fine/nice. You also have to consider amenities as well.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:02 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Black people in Southern California, especially the closer they are to Los Angeles would gladly beg to differ.

Maybe in Texas, but not in other parts of the country. Also, most native Hispanics/Mexicans in Texas are very socially conservative and more assimilated with whites than Black people are. I don't understand why so many Black Americans think that Latinos are automatically going to side with them or are their allies politically or socially. They're going to look out for themselves and have their best interests at heart like most other races. As usual, so many Black Americans are looking to align with other people who wouldn't give us the time of day if the tables were turned.
You're speaking from your experience and I am speaking from my own. That should be clear. It sounds like you come from a place where there is a lot of division between the different ethnicities. That's not how it is where I'm from; especially among those born after 1980.

So you shouldn't presume to know who would or would not give me the time of day. You know as well as I do that some of our own people would go out of their way to make sure I didn't get the time of day.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:13 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Predominantly White places like Salt Lake City, or Portland, or somewhere in New Hampshire, may have low Black on Black homicide rates, but they may have an abundance of Housing discrimination issues, police brutality, racial profiling, and anti-black hiring practices. Black on Black crime isn't the only pressing issue in the Black community. A Black person may do fairly well in a suburb of Baltimore, Philly, Detroit, LA, Chicago, DC, Atlanta etc, DESPITE those cities having a high Black on Black homicide rate. Thus those cities being an overall net positive for Black people vs a City with a relatively small Black population.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:04 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Black people in Southern California, especially the closer they are to Los Angeles would gladly beg to differ.

Maybe in Texas, but not in other parts of the country. Also, most native Hispanics/Mexicans in Texas are very socially conservative and more assimilated with whites than Black people are. I don't understand why so many Black Americans think that Latinos are automatically going to side with them or are their allies politically or socially. They're going to look out for themselves and have their best interests at heart like most other races. As usual, so many Black Americans are looking to align with other people who wouldn't give us the time of day if the tables were turned.
Man I got to agree you 100% here.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:36 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
You're speaking from your experience and I am speaking from my own. That should be clear. It sounds like you come from a place where there is a lot of division between the different ethnicities. That's not how it is where I'm from; especially among those born after 1980.

So you shouldn't presume to know who would or would not give me the time of day. You know as well as I do that some of our own people would go out of their way to make sure I didn't get the time of day.
Really. Where I am from in Texas, me and my friends only got alone with very few Hispanics (really the ones who wanted to be black and felt as though they know the struggle when they dont). They thought we were so cool and until they started getting reckless with certain words. Now, I never had major issues with any, but you can sense the tension. The ones that came from different countries use to make fun if us being slaves, that alone tells alot there. Even now, I live in Houston and most Hispanics here have preconceived notions about us, not all but some. Trust me, its not all Kumbaya here as stated, well at least to me its not.

But the worst place for blacks would have to be the Rio Grande in Texas and areas like New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, the Dakotas, Idaho (though I herd good thing about Boise, but I doubt it). I've been to the Rio Grande (Del Rio) and that place is not fun for blacks at all. Omaha was pretty decent to, though I wouldn't live there, but it was decent.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:38 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post

Well maybe in your little world, but I'm speaking about generalities and the overall nation here. BTW, I was born in 1982, so that's irrelevant because there's still ethnic division with millennials and the tail-end of Gen-X.

And your last sentence may be somewhat true with black folks who aren't awake yet, but its a strawman argument that you've built to deflect from the fact that Latinos and other ethnic groups will stick together while a lot of Black Americans are still begging for acceptance from these other groups. It may not be what you want to hear, but we'll see how your Latino brothers and sisters vouch for you when the going gets tough and you get some wake up calls in your life on down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade
Man I got to agree you 100% here.
Thank you. There's nothing wrong with forming friendships with people of other races, but I've never understood this need for so many black people who are always so eager to run up in person of another race's face as if everything is all good when a lot of them wouldn't return the favor. Or that Black-Latino relations work to a black person's advantage. Once a large Latino population reaches critical mass and gain political power, blacks are ignored and are at the bottom of the totem pole in terms of career opportunities and political power.

Anyway, back on topic, I'd say that Orange County, Phoenix, Portland, Miami-Dade County, Omaha, Memphis, Louisville, Cincinnati, Grand Rapids, and St. Louis. Arguably Los Angeles and OC, Phoenix, and Portland because there are hardly any black people in those areas and they have the passive-aggressive hipster racism to a T in those areas. The rest of the cities I named because there are large black populations, but there are either really strained race relations in general and/or the black middle class communities are smaller and the cultural amenities many of them enjoy are few and far between.

Last edited by biscuit_head; 07-07-2015 at 08:51 PM..

Old 07-07-2015, 08:49 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,921 times
Quote:
Well maybe in your little world, but I'm speaking about generalities and the overall nation here. BTW, I was born in 1982, so that's irrelevant because there's still ethnic division with millennials and the tail-end of Gen-X.

And your last sentence may be somewhat true with black folks who aren't awake yet, but its a strawman argument that you've built to deflect from the fact that Latinos and other ethnic groups will stick together while a lot of Black Americans are still begging for acceptance from these other groups. It may not be what you want to hear, but we'll see how your Latino brothers and sisters vouch for you when the going gets tough and you get some negro wake up calls in your life on down the road.

Thank you. There's nothing wrong with forming friendships with people of other races, but I've never understood this need for so many black people who are always so eager to run up in person of another race's face as if everything is all good when a lot of them wouldn't return the favor. Or that Black-Latino relations work to a black person's advantage. Once a large Latino population reaches critical mass and gain political power, blacks are ignored and are at the bottom of the totem pole in terms of career opportunities and political power.

Anyway, back on topic, I'd say that Orange County, Phoenix, Portland, Miami-Dade County, Omaha, Memphis, Louisville, Cincinnati, Grand Rapids, and St. Louis. Arguably Los Angeles and OC, Phoenix, and Portland because there are hardly any black people in those areas and they have the passive-aggressive hipster racism to a T in those areas. The rest of the cities I named because there are large black populations, but there are either really strained race relations in general and/or the black middle class communities are smaller and the cultural amenities many of them enjoy are few and far between.

Not true, there are places in CA (LA) that are majority Hispanic that have black mayors and councilman.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:52 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Not true, there are places in CA (LA) that are majority Hispanic that have black mayors and councilman.
Sure...Compton and Hawthorne and that's just about it. I'm sure that will change as the demographics change more and blacks flee to the Inland Empire, Vegas, or down South.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:57 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,921 times
Quote:
Sure...Compton and Hawthorne and that's just about it. I'm sure that will change as the demographics change more and blacks continue moving to the Inland Empire, Vegas, or down south
No...Curren Price is a Black LA councilman who presides over a majority Hispanic district, the previous council member Jan Perry, was also black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City