Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 12:14 AM

211 posts, read 369,887 times

Advertisements

My hometown of grand rapids, mi is horrible for African Americans no mainstream radio station. Just a community radio wygr. Only club is the elks. Nothing and no infrastructure for blacks. Its hard to even get a job outside of a factory even with a degree. For entertainment or concerts u have to go to Detroit or Chicago. Entertainment is so bad that the highlight if the year was a concert with kool moe dee. In 2015. All from a city of 200,000 and a metro of a mill+.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 10:13 AM

832 posts, read 1,253,834 times
Well, first off, most segregated violent city since you might end up in bad areas and have your kids having bad people as friends....

Old 07-11-2015, 10:49 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,216,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stizz44 View Post
In New England, Boston/Hartford/Providence even NYC the vibe is a lot different. There are a few Latinos that try to be white. But for the most part Blacks and Latinos are united together. I think it comes from the Latino population up North is from Puerto Rico/DR where there is a lot of black heritage.

Mexicans seem to just be on some other agenda. Hence, there is a large division amongst Latinos when it comes to Mexicans. South American Latinos and Caribbean Latinos seem to look down upon Mexicans.
Puerto Ricans and Dominicans have a much bigger and more overt African influence than Mexicans do, most of whom are Mestizos (European and Native mix). There are Afro-Mexicans, but they make up a very small percentage of the population, around 4 percent or so. Most of them live in Veracruz and Oaxaca. There are a few places in Northern Mexico consisting of the descendents of escaped slaves from Texas who intermingled with the local population. Be that as it may, the African influence in Mexico is much smaller than it is in the Caribbean and some Central American countries. The notion of some shared heritage between Black Americans and Mexicans due to African ancestry is greatly exaggerated and desperate. So that explains a lot of the division between Mexicans and Blacks in many places. Don't get me wrong, there are communities where Mexicans and Blacks get along. Some are even comfortable enough to call each other the N word, though that wouldn't fly with me.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:22 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,781,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Puerto Ricans and Dominicans have a much bigger and more overt African influence than Mexicans do, most of whom are Mestizos (European and Native mix). There are Afro-Mexicans, but they make up a very small percentage of the population, around 4 percent or so. Most of them live in Veracruz and Oaxaca. There are a few places in Northern Mexico consisting of the descendents of escaped slaves from Texas who intermingled with the local population. Be that as it may, the African influence in Mexico is much smaller than it is in the Caribbean and some Central American countries. The notion of some shared heritage between Black Americans and Mexicans due to African ancestry is greatly exaggerated and desperate. So that explains a lot of the division between Mexicans and Blacks in many places. Don't get me wrong, there are communities where Mexicans and Blacks get along. Some are even comfortable enough to call each other the N word, though that wouldn't fly with me.
I haven't seen anyone exaggerate anything. I certainly never said the African heritage in Mexico was overt. I said it was present and it is.

How about you just stick to the objective and quit corrupting other's statements.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:09 PM

93,128 posts, read 123,711,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr to okc View Post
My hometown of grand rapids, mi is horrible for African Americans no mainstream radio station. Just a community radio wygr. Only club is the elks. Nothing and no infrastructure for blacks. Its hard to even get a job outside of a factory even with a degree. For entertainment or concerts u have to go to Detroit or Chicago. Entertainment is so bad that the highlight if the year was a concert with kool moe dee. In 2015. All from a city of 200,000 and a metro of a mill+.
Amway, Meijer or Bissell, among others, don't have any other types of jobs available? What about organizations?

How's OKC?

Old 07-11-2015, 05:17 PM

211 posts, read 369,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Amway, Meijer or Bissell, acomputer ers, don't havtemps other types of jobs available? What about organizations?

How's OKC?
here are jobs available just not hiring African americans. Amway only hires temos for 18 months then lays off for 6 months bissell idk meijers does hire. Factory work is bountiful though lol.

Okc has been real cool for me. My first job here was a computer tech at hitachi. For me its alot more opportunity and the area is booming. We got concerts every week just about.3 stations to choose from and multiple soul food resturants.

Last edited by mjlo; 07-12-2015 at 09:04 PM..

Old 07-12-2015, 04:18 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,961,367 times
Dubuque, Iowa. I've heard that city is racist as hell.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:04 PM

93,128 posts, read 123,711,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Dubuque, Iowa. I've heard that city is racist as hell.
It doesn't appear to be discouraging Black folks from moving there: US2010

Old 07-16-2015, 08:54 AM

21,604 posts, read 12,702,618 times
Boston suffers from some of the same as Seattle. The difference is we've been a solid 24% of the population for 25 years, no fluctuation and no decline like what is seen in Seattle. Many of the African Americans here get heavily involved with non profits churches and universities and effectively put pressure on our Irish and Italian political core. We have a sort of silent agreement with them, African Americans make up a very large percentage of the non transplant and non student population that actually votes in the elections and we are over represented in many city departments, and especially in the youth population and in community engagement. This has declined some in the past 10-15 years and given way to a younger generation of blacks raised in a more multi cultural Boston who look to make fundamental changes in the ecnomic stnaing and social standing of Blacks in the entirety of the metro whilst preserving our historic enclaves. In a sense less "give us the neighborhood; pro-black" mentality and more of a "can we be included in this prosperity?" mentality

These blacks are more accepted by their younger white peers than other generations of blacks who were more at odds and had maybe more of a working business relationship with the Irish politcal elite. Multi-racial organizations like Future Boston actively look to include black people in what they call the "#NewBoston."

The black community in the city has gotten poorer and more immigrant based however, as the city has gotten richer. The black middle class has been pushed south along Route 28 and Route 24 into previously irish and jewish neighborhoods as we did in the 60s-80s. The hey day for Bostons Black middle class was '85-'00. This is when we got Ed OG, New Edition, Donna Summer, Benzino and the Source, Dana Barros, Guru, The Ten Point Coalition and the Boston Miracle, Mel King, Free hell even Marky Mark and his all black Funky Bunch...

Now were dispersed....most of the middle class African Americans live in Milton Stoughton Avon Randolph Quincy Braintree Dedham and Holbrook and lower middle class folks in Brockton. In much of Boston's metro south you can find a very even mix of middle class african americans whites (usually irish) and asians (usually chinese) (hispanics prefer the northern city-suburbs).

The southern neighborhoods of Boston that were once exclusively white (Hyde Park, Mattapan, Roslindale and even West Roxbury now) have become home to much of the black population that used to live in the center of the city in Roxbury(Mission Hill esp) Fenway and the South End. Many of us have relocated back to where our grandparents came from in Virginia or North Carolina. Some of the middle class West Indians have started moving back to Florida but not with the vigor of blacks in New York City. Boston is a very good city to be poor or low income in, terrible for middle and lower middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City