Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston or Chicago
Boston 145 38.56%
Chicago 231 61.44%
Voters: 376. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 02:03 PM

312 posts, read 436,637 times

Advertisements

I'm neutral so allow me to chime in.

The "Cape Cod" which is this: All sizes | Cape Cod Sunset | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/32110445@N02/3718575455/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)

The "Indiana Dunes" which is this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...sBathHouse.jpg

Neither of those look all that impressive, LOL. More senseless fighting over "just average" things. Ever been to the beaches in Hawaii, Florida, US Virgin Islands, or California? Now those are beaches worth bragging about, "Cape Cod" and "Indiana Dunes" while look nice and charming for what they are aren't impressive enough to be bickering back and forth like a middle aged couple. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 02:07 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,451,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
This must be another insult Chicago thread. Are you serious. Chicago vs Boston. Boston's cute and all but come on. Let's not disrespect Chi-town like that. Chi-town is one of the big three. Come on people let's stop comparing CSA's. Even with Csa's chicago is almost three millon bigger. But let's face it, half of my family is from New England. I never thought Providence or Manchester was apart of Boston no matter how you spin it. The msa of Providence alone is 1.6 million. Take that away from Boston's CSA. Boston city limits-over fife hundred thousand close to six hundred. Chicago city limits, over two million headed to thee. Boy if people didn't know anything about american cities, they just might get the impression that Boston is bigger and better than it really is. Nothing against Boston, but it's like saying downtown SJ is bigger and better than mid-town manhattan.
If this was a "insult Chicago" thread--which it wasn't--you quickly turned it into an "insult Boston" thread.

First, no one is claiming Boston is as big as Chicago...I didn't see a single mention of CSAs in this thread and I haven't seen CSA comparisons for a long time. Boston is 620,000 in its city limits (not just under 6 as you said) which encompass 48 square miles. The population at 158 square miles is about 1.5 million. It's still not nearly as big as Chicago, but Boston is hardly small.

Second, this isn't a comparison of size. It's based on preference. Just because Chicago is bigger, doesn't necessarily mean it's better.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post

The "Cape Cod" which is this: All sizes | Cape Cod Sunset | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/32110445@N02/3718575455/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)

The "Indiana Dunes" which is this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...sBathHouse.jpg

Neither of those look all that impressive, LOL. More senseless fighting over "just average" things. Ever been to the beaches in Hawaii, Florida, US Virgin Islands, or California? Now those are beaches worth bragging about, "Cape Cod" and "Indiana Dunes" while look nice and charming for what they are aren't impressive enough to be bickering back and forth like a middle aged couple. LOL
Ehhh, well you're probably alone in calling those places "just average". Conde Nast put two Massachusetts beaches on their "Best of..." list for Eastern beaches. Not as impressive as Hawaii...but when homes in Nantucket are fetching $20mil+ on a regular basis, I'd say some people must like it.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Ehhh, well you're probably alone in calling those places "just average". Conde Nast put two Massachusetts beaches on their "Best of..." list for Eastern beaches. Not as impressive as Hawaii...but when homes in Nantucket are fetching $20mil+ on a regular basis, I'd say some people must like it.
I'm all in favor of coastal places, trust me the ocean or large body of water just have a bit of extra "wow I love living here" type of experience haha. I have no doubt that housing costs could reach as high as $20 Million there, and I'm sure its lovely to have property there as well but it shouldn't be overall determining factor.

But I think we have different views. For example, what I find impressive in Massachusetts is this: All sizes | martha's vineyard | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59066424@N00/2778900387/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Martha's Vineyard looks sweet and definitely sweet enough worth bragging for.

For beaches overall though, I'm very picky and beaches have to be the best of the best, I give points to cities that have beaches though over the ones that don't in their MSA's or CSA's. But if we're going to go over and brag page over page about beaches it should be over something grandeur and spectacular.

Something with white sand beaches, clear and as transparent as a mirror type water, blue or turquoise glow, with the most chillax and "in the zone" type of weather to support it for at least 6 months of the year.

My opinion of spectacular beaches are these:

Malibu: All sizes | Malibu Coastline | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/videoal/183920686/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Key West: All sizes | Exploring Key West | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/coreydouglas/2826983498/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)

La Jolla Cove (San Diego): All sizes | La Jolla | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/abradyb/482179474/sizes/o/in/photostream/ - broken link)

US Virgin Islands: All sizes | Trunk Bay, St. John, US Virgin Islands | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/yirongandrui/30561567/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Hawaii: All sizes | Ironwood Tree (Casuarina equisetifolia) Bellows Beach in Oahu Hawaii/ Beach/ Pacific ocean/ Rabitt island/ HI | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jekaphotography/5126586150/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Those beaches above, those are worth fighting every moment to defend their merits. Martha's Vineyard is worth fighting over and proving it has merits, those places are beautiful and know how to be the best without words having to show forth.

However petty fighting over beaches that aren't the most spectacular or stunning by image, it isn't worth it. Maybe its stupidity to view things this way but I never really got the hang of arguing for anything that wont stand out as THE best. I'm sure its a great beach, and must be a lot of fun, a beach is a beach and having a beach in your metro is gift enough to be thankful for but unless it stands out like those above it shouldn't be argued for relentlessly.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:37 PM

I didn't really see many people "arguing relentlessly" about these things though...they just mentioned that these amenities were located nearby.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I didn't really see many people "arguing relentlessly" about these things though...they just mentioned that these amenities were located nearby.
Oh didn't say people were already fighting over for it relentlessly now. I factored in the "going to happen" part, it's City-Data I'm sure if you asked which city has better Burger King's people here would be up and arms over it in a matter of moments to argue for it.

I'll leave the name out, I don't have a dog in this fight nor a bone to pick with anyone but here's the quote that I personally think would situate someone who would get "overly" defensive in a few hours to backlash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Oh lawd! I love Chicago, but there's no comparison; I'm sorry. I won't even waste keys explaining why the Indiana Dunes isn't Cape Cod, etc. For you to think so must mean that you've never been to the Northeast (and that includes New York, BTW). This thread has now gone down the path of absurd, if it wasn't there already.
Lets face it, this forum is only successful in registering the number of posts daily because its competitive. Everyone wants to be top dog, and here where they can mask themselves behind computer screens, its oh so easy to do.

Really, both places have beaches. That's already a win, that's an amenity millions in both cities have and can enjoy. You're already further ahead of Phoenix, Atlanta, Dallas, Saint Louis, Denver, Albuquerque, Pittsburgh, and the likes so whats there not to like?

Old 04-14-2011, 03:06 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,518,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
This must be another insult Chicago thread. Are you serious. Chicago vs Boston. Boston's cute and all but come on. Let's not disrespect Chi-town like that. Chi-town is one of the big three. Come on people let's stop comparing CSA's. Even with Csa's chicago is almost three millon bigger. But let's face it, half of my family is from New England. I never thought Providence or Manchester was apart of Boston no matter how you spin it. The msa of Providence alone is 1.6 million. Take that away from Boston's CSA. Boston city limits-over fife hundred thousand close to six hundred. Chicago city limits, over two million headed to thee. Boy if people didn't know anything about american cities, they just might get the impression that Boston is bigger and better than it really is. Nothing against Boston, but it's like saying downtown SJ is bigger and better than mid-town manhattan.
Come on, that's not much of an argument. Chicago's one of the "big three" so it's incomparable to cute Boston?

If this is about preference or what someone figures quality of life is then populations don't really matter, at about 620,000, Boston is more than "big enough" to have what any person needs. If that's somehow not enough for someone and you don't want to count the CSA which is pretty valid in Boston's case then look at the regular Boston area, over 4,000,000 should be enough, or is that not up to a Chicagoan's standards? Is population all Chicago has here, cause that's how you make it sound.

You actually have the exact same attitude that everyone else disparages Chicago with, your skyline is cute and everything but it's an insult to NYC to compare it to that massive one, the number of buildings it has dwarfs Chicago, it's incomparable. And geez, only 2,690,000 in the city limits? LA has over 1 million more just in it's limits and by metro 3 million more and by CSA it's not even close, of course we all know that this is what makes Chicago such a backwater compared to LA. And Chicago's headed to three million? I guess you didn't see the last census results indicating your guys' decline. Chicago doesn't belong in the big three, the new big three is NYC, LA, and Houston, or maybe DC after the CSA eclipses Chicago.

Ok, so I don't really have anything against Chicago or believe it's gonna decline or anything, I'm just saying it's kinda funny to make comments like that about Boston or any city really. With your logic they can just as easily apply to your city, or anyone else's. Boston is comparable enough to Chicago.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:31 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post

You, sir, are an idiot. Moderator, bring it on.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:43 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,478 times
Quote:
If this was a "insult Chicago" thread--which it wasn't--you quickly turned it into an "insult Boston" thread.
It's funny; I usually don't go down this path on these silly forums, but I'm in the mood, I guess Actually, it HAD turned into an "insult Chicago" thread, but ironically by some very disaffected New Yorker who feels he's trapped in Chicago (pssst. Lake Shore Limited and a number of other options will get you home in no time at all!), not by Bostonians.

But, you're right. Somehow it got back on the rails - in a very negative way - and the craziness just keeps getting more ridiculous. Why bother "defending" Boston? You and I both know it's not necessary - my advice is to just move on. Peace!

Old 04-14-2011, 03:43 PM

818 posts, read 1,387,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
You, sir, are an idiot. Moderator, bring it on.
Well what he said made sense IMO I agree with him neither cities are premier beach resorts for there to be infighting and neither compare to CA, HI, or FL beaches. I love Boston but I dont go there for beaches nor do I think Boston has better beaches than Chicago IMO. Boston however does have better topography

I dont intend on playing devils advocate but with all due respect, youre really not in any position to be calling other posters idiots with posts like these
Quote:
I don't know, it may have the best university in the country (U. of Chicago). It certainly has the best 20th century architecture (no American city can compete). It certainly has the best waterfront park in a U.S. city, by a long shot. It probably has the best shopping street in the U.S. (N. Michigan is much better than Fifth Avenue, in my book). I could keep going ...

BTW: Wasn't this a Chicago vs. Boston thread, 'cause you seem to have turned it into a Chicago vs. NYC thread. Nothing wrong with that, I guess. I just want to understand what the topic is.
Quote:
Ditto my last post. My comment on U. of Chicago stands. I guess familiarity breeds contempt, or something like that ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City