Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston or Chicago
Boston 145 38.56%
Chicago 231 61.44%
Voters: 376. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 01:40 PM

230 posts, read 1,142,251 times

Advertisements

love them both for completely different reasons. what do you like to do outside of school? what are your interests? what types of crowds do you usually find yourself comfortable in. You'll be able to be comfortable in both places probably, but one might be better than the other based on what your "thing" is. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 01:44 PM

26 posts, read 158,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
Can you explain a little bit more specifically in what you are looking for in a city?

Both are great cities, but different in many ways. It will help if you can provide some type of criteria for yourself.
I would like a diverse city with good sports and a lot of history, but I like large metro areas as well. I am also into the performing arts and like a lot of music. Food is also a big deal with me.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:46 PM

167 posts, read 213,785 times
Boston by a hair

Old 01-23-2008, 05:38 PM

bump ......

Old 01-23-2008, 05:53 PM

307 posts, read 1,397,132 times
It depends.. this is a hard choice. I like both cities.
If I had to choose I would pick Boston.

Some beautiful gothic architecture, has a european feel to it in the older areas. Plus Boston is by the ocean, the water there is slightly warmer then Lake Michigans.

Boston is surrounded by many interesting areas. The Catskill Mountains in NY State, Montreal, Canada (Sort of far, but totally different atmosphere) -- New York City is a four hour drive away.

Just the atmosphere of Boston seems much more .. classier london/zurich style.
Chicago is more modern, metropolitan and busier.

Chicago modern
Boston original and character

don't mistake Boston is a large city too though, there is many things to do there for the young scene. Clubs, theatre, the beach, cruises.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:16 PM

What else can anyone tell me?

Old 01-23-2008, 08:20 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
I have lived in Boston my whole life but Chicago, along with San Fran round out my favorite cities I've been to. I voted Boston, but it does depend what you're looking for.
Having spent a fair amount of time during visits [never lived in these], can say that these are the top three in my book - but getting back to Beantown and Chicago, man, that is a rough choice; so much fun, excitement, shopping, sports, history, great people, scenery, vittles, culture, atmosphere, etc. in both, would be a very hard choice. Guess, like others here have posted, instead of looking at the city, maybe look at its surroundings to help choose - Chicago you have the lake and then WI nearby for attractions, whereas the White Mtns. and other hills plus the ocean near Boston... so again, close call. If you are planning on living IN the city itself, might check out the city's mass transit routes, range, etc. to maybe see how those compare too. Good luck!

Old 01-28-2008, 09:30 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
From what I've gathered Boston has got an overall worse attitude,and that is up at the top of the list for me because that contributes to the overall vibe.
Plus Chicago is much bigger,more to do.
The weather would be a drawback though.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:18 AM

904 posts, read 2,872,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by draketheshocker11 View Post
I would like a diverse city with good sports and a lot of history, but I like large metro areas as well. I am also into the performing arts and like a lot of music. Food is also a big deal with me.
Based on your criteria, I'd go with Chicago. It's considerably larger than Boston and more diverse. It has a tremendous theater scene and lots of live music, and I think more nightlife generally (plus the bars stay open later. Boston has an oddly early last call, must be the lingering Puritan influence). There's a gazillion restaurants serving up all kinds of dishes, and the locals seem to take their food pretty seriously.

I'd say sports is a wash. Boston's teams have obviously had lots of success lately, but in terms of the seriousness of the fans, I think it's about even. Boston wins on history, but Chicago is no slouch in that department, either. And, to be fair, Boston is no slouch in the areas where I said Chicago trumps it. Still, seems like Chicago would work well based on those things.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:16 AM

633 posts, read 1,441,901 times
Boston is a great city! For people, it's probably second to Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City