Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2016, 09:16 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Not saying that people on here have these opinions, because most people on CD love cities and take the time to research different elements of cities.... the general public, not so much.
So where are all of these well informed CD members and why do most of them never post here?

Old 04-30-2016, 09:55 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romedot View Post
Overrated: Austin, Asheville, Charlotte, Savannah, NOVA
Underrated: Durham, Jacksonville, Norfolk, Richmond, Louisville, Birmingham,
You listed a bunch of cities and lumped in Nova, a major suburb of DC. Is it because Nova steals alot of the spotlight in Virginia vs. your hometown Norfolk, which you listed and underrated?

Old 04-30-2016, 10:18 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
So where are all of these well informed CD members and why do most of them never post here?
I was more so speaking about those who have been on here for a while/have consistently made informed posts. Looking back it, yeah I think I gave too much credit to CD posters. Being from Phoenix, I know for a fact that 90 percent of the ppl making vast generalizations about Phoenix haven't stepped foot in the city, and it comes out in the inaccuracy of their posts (I'm sure this is the same for ppl who have views on Houston, dallas, atlanta, ect).

Old 05-01-2016, 03:21 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCE-DARKNESS View Post
Overrated: Most of the Dixie Cities.

Underrated: NOLA, Charleston, Savannah, & Nashville.

Those underrated Dixie Cities are centrally located rather than spread out like most of the Sunbelt region.
Nashville is very sprawly and spread out.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:14 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,428,855 times
People that thin Atlanta is overrated are people that have never really ventured further than up and down and away from Peachtree St.
The don;t go through Inman or Candler Park Neighborhoods,walk the Beltline,stroll in Piedmont Park hike up Stone Mountain or have tome to visit the Mountains just North of Atlanta to check out beauty of the Waterfalls,hang out in Downtown Roswell,Decatur,check out outdoor theater in the sustainable community of Serebe in the backdrop of of beautiful Chattahoochee Hills with its rolling hills where horse farms abound,shop at Ponce City Market or go anywhere near Atlanta 28 county metro area but think they saw everything there is because the road the Skyview and drank coke from around the world after seeing some fish at the aquarium.
My business involves me interacting with visitors all the time and most recently today when this couple was "asked by a friend why are they stooping in Atlanta for a day heading to Florida?"Their friend was perplexed.They had never been but they aid the 24 hours they spent was more that what they expexted and planned to reyurn again because of the great experience they had,

I promise you I have rarely ever run into anyone visiting out city who hated it .In fact is almost always one of" pleasant surprises".

I dont think Savannah is ever overrated,Unless you expected NYC.Savannah is simply unique and a unique city can never be overrated.

Many of these cities people have listed are not overrated or underrated. Who has an expectation bad or good of Norfolk?

Old 05-01-2016, 12:23 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
People that thin Atlanta is overrated are people that have never really ventured further than up and down and away from Peachtree St.
The don;t go through Inman or Candler Park Neighborhoods,walk the Beltline,stroll in Piedmont Park hike up Stone Mountain or have tome to visit the Mountains just North of Atlanta to check out beauty of the Waterfalls,hang out in Downtown Roswell,Decatur,check out outdoor theater in the sustainable community of Serebe in the backdrop of of beautiful Chattahoochee Hills with its rolling hills where horse farms abound,shop at Ponce City Market or go anywhere near Atlanta 28 county metro area but think they saw everything there is because the road the Skyview and drank coke from around the world after seeing some fish at the aquarium.
My business involves me interacting with visitors all the time and most recently today when this couple was "asked by a friend why are they stooping in Atlanta for a day heading to Florida?"Their friend was perplexed.They had never been but they aid the 24 hours they spent was more that what they expexted and planned to reyurn again because of the great experience they had,

I promise you I have rarely ever run into anyone visiting out city who hated it .In fact is almost always one of" pleasant surprises".

I dont think Savannah is ever overrated,Unless you expected NYC.Savannah is simply unique and a unique city can never be overrated.

Many of these cities people have listed are not overrated or underrated. Who has an expectation bad or good of Norfolk?
I listed Atlanta as overrated and lived there for two years in midtown by piedmont park and did everything you listed above. I said its overrated because Atlanta gets alot of kudos for being amazing compared to its other southern peers but when you compare it to the other great cities in the country its about average imo. Austin is the same....

Old 05-01-2016, 12:59 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Overrated: Houston (like, really overrated)

Underrated: Beaumont & Galveston, the most desirable spots in SE Texas
Beaumont??

Old 05-01-2016, 01:40 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,109,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah, and Asheville get ridiculous levels of love on this site.
Perhaps because it's actually deserved? I think it definitely is. People don't get all mushy when they set eyes for the first time on Raleigh or Montgomery or Fayetteville. But NOLA, C'town, Sav'h, or Asheville? Yep. Fairly often.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:43 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Perhaps because it's actually deserved? I think it definitely is. People don't get all mushy when they set eyes on Raleigh or Montgomery or Fayetteville for the first time. But NOLA, C'town, Sav'h, or Asheville? Yep.
The love for Asheville is most certainly not deserved.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:11 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
people get mushy when they see Asheville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City