Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2015, 01:19 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,004,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Most South Carolinians think this way if they do not live in Charleston.
Reason: There's nothing else in South Carolina to compare with Charleston, it's in a class by it's self.
Greenville is a pretty awesome city, and I think it holds its own against Charleston in many ways.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:42 PM

875 posts, read 1,656,992 times
Overrated: Atlanta (like, really overrated)
Underrated: Houston

Old 09-19-2015, 02:13 PM

37,835 posts, read 41,708,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Greenville is a pretty awesome city, and I think it holds its own against Charleston in many ways.
As does Columbia; SC isn't a large state but it's pretty well-balanced with three cities more or less on the same level, each with its own regional sphere of influence and diverse assets.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:34 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,213,564 times
Underrated: Dallas (the center of the world)

Overrated: Miami (a cesspool that belongs in california)

Old 09-19-2015, 04:04 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,505,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Hmmm interesting stereotypical analysis.
If it helps your butthole heal faster, most of Santa Rosa and Walton counties are full of similar people.

Not that this on subject or anything

Old 09-19-2015, 05:19 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,474,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Underrated: Dallas (the center of the world)

Overrated: Miami (a cesspool that belongs in california)
I don't think Miami is overrated at all. I also don't think Dallas is the center of the world.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:34 PM

5,794 posts, read 5,574,247 times
Quote:
But can you simply remove part of a metro and declare your city to have a larger economy. VB is part of Norfolk's metro no matter how you slice it, so there is no scenario without it.
What are you talking about? I'm not suggesting to remove the Beach from the metro. I'm saying that Virginia Beach accounts for a sizable portion of the metro GDP, and without it (and Newport News) Norfolk as a city doesn't have a strong enough economy or industries to be level with Richmond. When I spoke of simulations, I'm just trying to find out if there is documentation on what the three core cities contribut to the regional economy individually. I didn't think I said this in a confusing manner; hopefully this clears it up...

Old 09-19-2015, 06:38 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,419,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
I'm not going to dispute that, but I will say that St. Louis city proper doesn't look much better and actually reminds me a lot of Memphis.
Lol, how is STL related to this thread convo?

Old 09-19-2015, 06:40 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,004,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
What are you talking about? I'm not suggesting to remove the Beach from the metro. I'm saying that Virginia Beach accounts for a sizable portion of the metro GDP, and without it (and Newport News) Norfolk as a city doesn't have a strong enough economy or industries to be level with Richmond. When I spoke of simulations, I'm just trying to find out if there is documentation on what the three core cities contribut to the regional economy individually. I didn't think I said this in a confusing manner; hopefully this clears it up...
That's exactly what I'm talking about - "without it". There is no without it. It's very simple...you can't remove a sizable portion of any city and THEN compare it favorably to yours. It doesn't work that way. Or I guess you could be playing the city-limits card like some people do when their city doesn't compare favorably, but I'm sure you know that MSA is the standard for city-to-city comparisons.

I hope I said that clearly enough...and I hope you noticed that I wasn't the only one who called you on this little trick.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:49 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,540,312 times
Quote:
That's exactly what I'm talking about - "without it". There is no without it. It's very simple...you can't remove a sizable portion of any city and THEN compare it favorably to yours. It doesn't work that way. Or I guess you could be playing the city-limits card like some people do when their city doesn't compare favorably, but I'm sure you know that MSA is the standard for city-to-city comparisons.

I hope I said that clearly enough...and I hope you noticed that I wasn't the only one who called you on this little trick.
And, of all places, you CAN'T do that with Hampton Roads at all. The cities relate to each other in a way that other places don't compare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.