Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which can endure better living in?
Chicago Cold Season 87 50.88%
Houston Heat Season 84 49.12%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 10:35 PM

387 posts, read 355,922 times

Advertisements

Extremely Hot weather may be more annoying, but extremely Cold weather is more devastating/behavior altering...at least to me

Chicago is an awesome city and certainly not as unbearably cold as say Minneapolis or Winnipeg, but the winter is still pretty bad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 10:35 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,529,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
LOLOL!!!!! did you just say Chicagos skyline might be better than NYCs?
Again, like I told the other guy above, NYC is not Houston. And yes, to some the Chicago skyline is right up there with NYC's.

I live in DC, am from Texas. I have no dog in this fight.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:45 PM

387 posts, read 355,922 times
Extremely Hot weather may be more annoying, but extremely Cold weather is more devastating/behavior altering...at least to me

Chicago is an awesome city and certainly not as unbearably cold as say Minneapolis or Winnipeg, but the winter is still pretty bad...

Old 08-01-2015, 11:02 PM

6,287 posts, read 7,491,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Again, like I told the other guy above, NYC is not Houston. And yes, to some the Chicago skyline is right up there with NYC's.

I live in DC, am from Texas. I have no dog in this fight.
So have ever experienced an entire winter in Chicago ?

Old 08-01-2015, 11:27 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
Quote:
personally id rather the opportunity to do activities outside in the summer than being cooped up inside in the winter. that would just be depressing. sure it gets hot in Houston, but you just jump in the pool to cool off after sweating in the heat. and when you get out you usually feel refreshed and up for round 2 of outdoor activities.. i guess in Chicago you can jump in a hot tub after a cold winter day, but getting out of the warm water is brutal and all you're thinking of is how quickly you can get back inside to warm up next to a fire.
Nah, it's not really like that for people who are used to it/enjoy it. After a rigourous day having fun outside in the snow you go back in and strip down to cool off.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:41 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,510,933 times
Quote:
personally id rather the opportunity to do activities outside in the summer than being cooped up inside in the winter. that would just be depressing. sure it gets hot in Houston, but you just jump in the pool to cool off after sweating in the heat. and when you get out you usually feel refreshed and up for round 2 of outdoor activities.. i guess in Chicago you can jump in a hot tub after a cold winter day, but getting out of the warm water is brutal and all you're thinking of is how quickly you can get back inside to warm up next to a fire.
I don't know if you ever been to Chicago in the winter. But this is false. People are out on the streets in the middle of January just like they are out in the street now.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:55 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,561,555 times
with an average high below freezing, and an average low in the teens, no, i haven't spent January in Chicago. not for me.. don't get me wrong, i love snow, but id rather enjoy it in short spurts while on vacation. its almost impossible to text/do anything with your fingers after being outside in weather anywhere near Chicagos low temps. i remember having trouble texting in Waco during the winter..

Old 08-02-2015, 07:45 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,396,243 times
Quote:
with an average high below freezing, and an average low in the teens, no, i haven't spent January in Chicago. not for me.. don't get me wrong, i love snow, but id rather enjoy it in short spurts while on vacation. its almost impossible to text/do anything with your fingers after being outside in weather anywhere near Chicagos low temps. i remember having trouble texting in Waco during the winter..
Huh? They made gloves to solve this problem years ago.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:54 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,561,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Huh? They made gloves to solve this problem years ago.
Every pair of gloves I've ever used make it impossible to use a touch screen.. Or easily get car keys out of your pocket to unlock your door/any other fine detail hand/finger movements.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:35 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,265,430 times
Easily Chicago for me.

I live in a similar climate, there are a few tough days to endure but
much better than living in a steam bath for 5 months straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City