Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which can endure better living in?
Chicago Cold Season 87 50.88%
Houston Heat Season 84 49.12%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 10:06 PM

41 posts, read 55,659 times

Advertisements

Steeps..

I live here--you dont..I am stating facts--and YES Chicago IS losing population..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 06:37 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Lived in Chicago, currently live in Houston.

Houston summers are more tolerable by a LONG shot.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:08 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanciLou View Post
Steeps..

I live here--you dont..I am stating facts--and YES Chicago IS losing population..
Some make this thread about things to vote and comment? Not about weather at all. Then it compels others to comment on that.

Chicago certainly has issues it has more of.... to the nation has too, the Middle-class especially has and Chicago as a Big city, issues more unique to it. The new census is to show a tiny increase in population. The metropolitan area still a decent increase. But smaller then other Big cities.

Every era has its issue those living in Chicago had to be unhappy about? Or choose to move. Some eras were better overall? Why we look back. The US has issues with a .....being threatened middle-class. Good paying jobs for low-skilled workers are far less around today. But it ALWAYS WAS TRUE.. If poor? The Big city is NOT the best place to be.

The sunbelt has had population increases for decades now. That northern cities have less of. Job growth to losses to more severe winters, are reasons for the transfer of populations. Even by me in PA. Small towns suffer many of the same issues of Big cities. Rising Taxes and other cost and wages not keeping up. It affects poor to lower middle-class the most. But lower income people are leaving Bog cities. While young professionals moving to their cores.

But to outsiders visiting a city. They have a perspective that is more visible and outward vs the issues locals face. For those seeing Chicago's majestic Downtown, higher-end gentrified neighborhoods. The VIBRANCY IS ALL AROUND. Other neighborhoods still look well. The Bungalow belt intact of neat homes with green lawns and tree-lined streets. The 50s 60s still look good. That ALONE surly does not tell the story of eroding good jobs, rising taxes and other cost.

Crime is surly always part of our Big cities. It overall is not getting better. Many small towns all around me in PA have MAJOR CRIME INCREASES. As Big cities have criminals move from there into other areas. Lower income people especially with families. Are leaving Big cities for better schools for their children and far less gang activity. Lower housing cost and rents. It is less about moving FOR JOBS IT SEEMS.

Well all in all.... even small towns that faced los of its once manufacturing base. Have similar issues. But gentrification of parts of their towns? Not really there. Increases in Big cities of NEW Younger URBAN HIGHER EDUCATED PROFESSIONALS. Does not just overall TRICKLE DOWN To the rest of their city's masses.

I am all for..... if young and not happy where living, not finding successful job prospects? That they attain more skills in education. Or look to other areas of the nation to start new lives. Easier said then done I realize? But many do and especially if one has other family in them areas? I originally had relatives in Chicago. When I made my move when young.
But knocking your city in threads not about living cost and cost of living? Really do no help. Just fuel mockers and these with agendas that seem to manifest in negative views on particular cities on C-D.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:19 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecwwwc View Post
I never said anything about 'solving' it - I said it works. Meaning you layer and you feel warmer. I was responding to a poster who said that was not true.
You feel warmer, of course but you still feel terrible on those really cold days. And Chicago gets plenty of those. Even small things.

I remember countless times at gas stations, I had to remove my gloves to use the touch-screen prompts and in that short time my hands stung, froze, and were in terrible pain.

You cannot compare that to a Houston summer. When is the last time 90 degrees and humidity caused anyone pain?

Old 07-13-2015, 08:46 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
1) my hands stung, froze, and were in terrible pain.

2) When is the last time 90 degrees and humidity caused anyone pain?
1) LOL! I read that part in a cartoon wuss voice. I hope that's what you really sound like!
2) Every single time it goes above 90 it's painful for me. Add in "Florida humidity," and I'll take 20 degrees every single time.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:59 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
If you think Chicago has horrible summers, don't go to Houston. The "Chicago Heat Wave" of 1995 is an annual reality for much of the South.

You should probably move to a place where people can't tolerate anything......like San Diego or LA (yet they still complain).
And guess where most of us are from, that frozen h%ll like Chicago. No more below zero for me.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:03 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,973 times
For now, Chicago winters. Im fine with bundling up, and I'd rather run in the cold, than heat. Now, when im older lazy and in retirement i'll change my mind, but for now I'll take the cold.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:27 AM

579 posts, read 664,467 times
As far as I'm concerned, Chicago cold season (Montreal and Minneapolis are similar in this respect)

Old 07-13-2015, 09:30 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,224 times
Interesting how people try to insinuate that Chicago has the worst weather in the country. Chicago's weather is very similar to that of Boston.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:32 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Interesting how people try to insinuate that Chicago has the worst weather in the country. Chicago's weather is very similar to that of Boston.
Chicago is colder than Boston, this year was an exception. My sister lives in Boston, I lived in Detroit (which has similar weather to Chicago if not a bit warmer). Not to say Boston winters are desirable. I'd take a Houston summer over a Boston, NYC, or Philadelphia winter too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City