Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you think is in line to be the next Chicago?
Washington DC 4 3.85%
Boston 3 2.88%
Los Angeles 4 3.85%
San Francisco 7 6.73%
Dallas 8 7.69%
Seattle 5 4.81%
Philadelphia 9 8.65%
Houston 28 26.92%
Atlanta 18 17.31%
Miami 4 3.85%
Detroit 4 3.85%
Other 10 9.62%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 10:41 AM

869 posts, read 1,277,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
"next" in terms of what?
transit? skyline? population? crime/homicides? wealth? debt? etc...
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 11:48 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,977,685 times
There is no one city that will become an exact shoe size to fit Chicago in every category all at once. You would have to break down the categories. Here are some examples.

Busiest Airport (single airport not counting more than one) - Atlanta

"City" Population - Houston

"CSA" Population - Washington DC

Rapid Transit (closest to CTA) - Washington DC Metro

Regional Rail -

Daily and Annual Ridership: MTA Metro-North Railroad New York (closest in total). Metra Philly is actually half of Chicago which isn't close.

Track System Length: NJTransit 385 miles (Metra however is about a hundred miles longer in size at 487 not counting South Shore Line to add 90 miles) Metra would rank 2nd to NYC's MTA in track miles length. Now when it comes to ridership NJTransit would be ahead of Metra. At one point Chicago by far had the largest rail passenger system in the country during the 30's and 40's until a lot of the lines have been converted to freight as the automobile became more common.

Bus Transit- Los Angeles

Residential Highrises - Miami

19th Century urban development - On scale between Philly and NYC

Most Skyscrapers closer to Chicago in number - Houston. Chicago is also half of NYC's according to wiki. However, during our life time there will be no one city in the country that will match Chicago in the total count so I wouldn't hold your breath. Chicago is literally a mountain of skyscrapers that would comprise of many 'cities' downtown skyscrapers to even come up with that number. The only way something like this would happen is if Houston or Philly would build at Dubai's speed over night which is highly unlikely.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:06 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Oh, there is Chicago envy on this forum.
You think people really envy Chiraq?

Old 07-13-2015, 12:34 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,099,989 times
looked at the OP again...noticed OP is from Philly...with the rash of Chicago-Philly (quite boring by now, find something new), I wonder if this thread was mean't to mock Chicago...if so, well done...very slick if this was your intention

Old 07-13-2015, 01:41 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
OMG A European who CLAIMS to have lived , virtually all over the US? Then mocks most things in threads about the US. In World and European forums and a lot in Canada ones. With a anti-American bias....on the US and especially its cities to food.

I'd say it is more you with this AMERICA ENVY. It is far more for you then just Chicago.... . Seems you never were happy in visits or living? THEY NO DOUBT WERE DECADES AGO TOO. Which I do not believe was as varied as you have said in threads? Seems your comeback is you know from having lived there.... in many threads a city or state is in the Topic?

Old 07-13-2015, 02:27 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,086 times
I haven't lived in all those places, I'm just interested in their over the top crime rates and urban decay. It's hard to ignore Chicago in that sense.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:35 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post

I certainly do, otherwise so many people wouldn't compare it on this forum. Maybe not envy, but they sure do seem to want to be the next Chicago. By the way, it's not Chicago residents starting all these threads. Chicago has some urban decay, as do all other large cities, but it definitely has its very beautiful and wealthy areas. You go ahead and concentrate on what you want, though...you know, the negative.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:24 PM

41 posts, read 55,647 times
Steeps...First of all it is THERE not THEIR..I am FROM CHICAGO AND I LIVE HERE..you don't. What I am stating are facts..not mocking. I still love my city but I am a realist..Chicago is in very bad shape in many ways. It is heartbreaking

You don't live here..AN earlier post of yours said you lived in Chicago in the 80's..so how can you have a grasp of what day to day life is like in Chicago NOW and how it has been throughout the decades? You cannot. Chicago is and always will be a beautiful city in many ways. But a trip downtown (thats always clean and always plowed) does not reflect the "real Chicago". Or when a 20-something moves here fresh out of college they love it..but often reality sinks in for them Many cities put their best face on for tourists..Chicago is not alone. But as my hometown I have the right to say the truth. You dont live here so what makes you an expert? Looking up stats online and posting out of date info?
My question for you..why don't you move here? Maybe your outlook will change

Old 07-13-2015, 08:03 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanciLou View Post
Steeps...First of all it is THERE not THEIR..I am FROM CHICAGO AND I LIVE HERE..you don't. What I am stating are facts..not mocking. I still love my city but I am a realist..Chicago is in very bad shape in many ways. It is heartbreaking

You don't live here..AN earlier post of yours said you lived in Chicago in the 80's..so how can you have a grasp of what day to day life is like in Chicago NOW and how it has been throughout the decades? You cannot. Chicago is and always will be a beautiful city in many ways. But a trip downtown (thats always clean and always plowed) does not reflect the "real Chicago". Or when a 20-something moves here fresh out of college they love it..but often reality sinks in for them Many cities put their best face on for tourists..Chicago is not alone. But as my hometown I have the right to say the truth. You dont live here so what makes you an expert? Looking up stats online and posting out of date info?
My question for you..why don't you move here? Maybe your outlook will change
I call Chicago my adopted hometown. I became part of the city the years I was there. Realizing I said I lived there in the 80s first half. Should tell you I am no longer young. Though fit and told I look much younger. So to ask... why I do not move there? Is after circumstances occurred back then. To have me move back near my hometown and Parents ect. I then married and to move probably would be in retirement and perhaps to a warmer climate.

We were all 20-something once LOL. I WAS IN CHICAGO A 20-SOMETHING TOO... LONG BEFORE IT WAS FASHIONBLE. Why be bitter for those WHO WENT TO SCHOOL AND GOT THE DEGREES? Then make it a better city far more then not.... As for the city seeking tourist. It is working. ALL are impressed with its downtown and Lakefront and attributes. Why .. TripaAdvisor has it #2 in the nations cities. They get high feedback from visitors. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travelers...ions-cTop-g191

As for truth. The plight of the middle-class are not unique to merely Chicago. My taxes increased pretty drastically this last year. Schools are a culprit and the usual.... nothing gets cheaper overall is the normal. I see declines in my hometown. It too is broke and the County. But not the worst area to live by far. But no big increases in jobs mean the % on welfare there... will continue. Some for multiple generations with bad genes I say? Poor health and mental issues.

PA is highly Row homes in old stock small town housing and cheaper there. Philly is 65% mostly tight Row homes. Believe me ... its bad neighborhoods like on its North side. Are not with nice set-backs and green space in front and decent back yards and alleys for garages. Like Chicago's past planners created for it.

Example Philly bad neighborhood

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9879...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9918...7i13312!8i6656

Chicago bad neighborhoods

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8587...2!8i6656?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7735...2!8i6656?hl=en

LOVE THES OLD GREYSTONES IN A BAD NEIGHBORHOOD. THAT WAS VERY VIBRANT ONCE. STILL LOOK GOOD HERE. SOME PRIDE FOR THE OWNERS I AM SURE. If these were on the North Shore of Chicago. They would be million dollar+ homes.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8552...2!8i6656?hl=en

I WOULD JUST TRY TO COME ACROSS LESS BITTER AND IF YOUNG AND THINGS SO BAD? YOU CAN START OVER ELSEWHERE. THEN BITTERNESS LEAVES. Not make it a pattern to demean your hometown you love. But others who do complement it as if liars?.....Some do see a glass as half-full but can rise? Or half-empty and dropping?

Last edited by steeps; 07-13-2015 at 09:00 PM..

Old 07-13-2015, 09:44 PM

41 posts, read 55,647 times
OMG Steeps..you jumped all over someone who posted above yet you DONT LIVE IN CHICAGO..you just keep posting links.. its kinda weird and I cant help but wonder if yu are trying to relive your time here.

For the LAST time I am a native and I love here--You arent' and dont live here BYE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City