Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you think is in line to be the next Chicago?
Washington DC 4 3.85%
Boston 3 2.88%
Los Angeles 4 3.85%
San Francisco 7 6.73%
Dallas 8 7.69%
Seattle 5 4.81%
Philadelphia 9 8.65%
Houston 28 26.92%
Atlanta 18 17.31%
Miami 4 3.85%
Detroit 4 3.85%
Other 10 9.62%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 06:20 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times

Advertisements

well, we all know NY would love to be, but it ain't going to happen. (yes, just kidding)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 06:34 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanciLou View Post
Steeps...First of all it is THERE not THEIR..I am FROM CHICAGO AND I LIVE HERE..you don't. What I am stating are facts..not mocking. I still love my city but I am a realist..Chicago is in very bad shape in many ways. It is heartbreaking

You don't live here..AN earlier post of yours said you lived in Chicago in the 80's..so how can you have a grasp of what day to day life is like in Chicago NOW and how it has been throughout the decades? You cannot. Chicago is and always will be a beautiful city in many ways. But a trip downtown (thats always clean and always plowed) does not reflect the "real Chicago". Or when a 20-something moves here fresh out of college they love it..but often reality sinks in for them Many cities put their best face on for tourists..Chicago is not alone. But as my hometown I have the right to say the truth. You dont live here so what makes you an expert? Looking up stats online and posting out of date info?
My question for you..why don't you move here? Maybe your outlook will change
The guy is laughable and annoying. He's posted on the Philadelphia board with his " expert" advice about what should have happen in a city he has never lived in. Philly either doesn't have enough trees(nevermind our huge municipal parks)or there are way too many rowhouses. Then there are his silly comparisons between Chicago and Phila. Two cities with completely different histories.

And since I am learning he hasn't lived in Chicago in 30 years nothing he says has any legitimacy.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:42 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The guy is laughable and annoying. He's posted on the Philadelphia board with his " expert" advice about what should have happen in a city he has never lived in. Philly either doesn't have enough trees(nevermind our huge municipal parks)or there are way too many rowhouses. Then there are his silly comparisons between Chicago and Phila. Two cities with completely different histories.

And since I am learning he hasn't lived in Chicago in 30 years nothing he says has any legitimacy.
That's a pretty inflammatory statement. Just because someone doesn't live in a city, or hasn't for years, doesn't mean there is no legitimacy to what they say. There's this thing called Google, and it can link anyone to a world of information. You can't discount the Internet. Also, visits can produce a lot of information, especially if you've been keeping up with the newspapers of a city, family and friends who may still live there with information, etc. Just because you don't live in a city, doesn't mean you're completely in the dark. Silly of you to think so.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:47 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:

Where are you from? You don't even list it, so according to your standard, you have no legitimacy? Props to those who aren't afraid to list where they're from.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:26 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times
Quote:

Realizing Philly thread posters ABHORE Chicago comparisons accepting only NYC. My comment of ROW HOMES NOT BEING MY FAVORITE HOUSING in a Philly thread. WAS ON PAR WITH YELLING FIRE IN THE THEATER . Philly being 65% Row homes. Not including Double-Homes/Duplex varieties. HAD ME BOMBARDED WITH NEGATIVITY.

My comments on Chicago's superior housing choices of Single homes with set-backs from sidewalks and streets WAS ....not liked. In comparison to Philly's walled blocks of tight Row homes.

I never addressed Philly Parks. Merely Philly could do a LOT MORE WITH THEIR RIVERFRONT and Center City/Downtown has no grand Parks. Some Colonial era small squares in neighborhoods yes. Mentioning Chicago's Grant and Millennium Park Again did not go well.
I NEVER BERATED PHILLY. I applaud all cities bouncing back in GENTRIFICATION of Philly's Center City and expanding to other neighborhoods.

Someone in this thread...who mentioned 20-somethings moving in apparently meant those responsible for much of the Gentrification.... Perhaps they are not fond of?

I mentioned CHICAGO FULL HUGE TREE LINE STREETS TO ITS FRONT LAWNED BUNGALOW BELT.
PHILLY ESPECIALLY many un-gentrified neighborhoods as my previously posted streetview360s showed, have NO GREEN FRONTAGE or Trees. That truth did not go well either. Of course many Philly row blocks... especially Colonial and later 20th century blocks have plenty of trees. But there was a BOOM in PHILLY of these TIGHT PLAIN BLOCKS OF WALLED TO WALL SOLID BLOCKS OF ROWS FOR THE MASSES. That are prevalent especially on its the North side.

I mentioned I could see HIGH-RISES lining Philly's Riverfront drive which has available land and is broad with flowers and trees nicely planted in its median. Donald Trump had a major high-end one planned on the River. But was canceled due to the 2008 crash. Again oh we tried it or how dare a outsider tell locals what they can very well....come up with their own...

Another comment I made was Philly's main thoroughfare through Downtown, Broad Street. It has a plain median cars park on, I could see with green even flowers as parts of Chicago's main thoroughfare of Michigan Ave have and trees. WELL JUST RECENTLY THE CITY DID ANNOUNCE SUCH A PLAN . But it was mocked when I mentioned it . I was proven RIGHT and PHILLY WILL DO THIS TO BROAD STREET NOW... CONCEPT LOOK �� http://www.uwishunu.com/wp-content/u...ights-comp.jpg

There were threads "What can Philly do to improve and gain more tourist" I mentioned Chicago's Navy Pier and a Amusement one on Philly's Riverfront would be nice and draw tourist as Chicago's ...NOT WELL RECIEVED LOL. Oh I posted pictures for example, and streetviews on where on the Riverfront is a smaller pier and land across to developed too.

I noted that much of Philly and all of Chicago. Still had BOOM GROWTH LATE 1800s Through the first half oh the 20th century. CHICAGO CONTINUED ITS FULL ALLEYWAY SYSTEM. PHILLY DID NOT. THE SQUEEZED MORE HOMES ON ALLEY SIZED STREETS THEN.
Philly developers actually PROMOTED this style of housing for the masses. At the Chicago Worlds Fair. For $2,500 You could buy one. CHICAGO DID NOT FOLLOW THAT LEAD. In part because of new rules after the Chicago Fire.

Posting pictures and streetview360° made some VERY HEATED. Over HOW DARE I.

I also noted Chicago went to its Craftsman Bungalow belt 1/3 of the city. 1910-1940. Philly continued its blocks of tight rows at the low end. But did add set-backs for other varieties of Row blocks with green frontage. At least West Philly in University Park. Are nice Victorian Grand Singles.

But this thread on WHAT CITY IS THE NEXT CHICAGO? Is not really on housing. It is on level of importance in the Nation in Population to Business, Finance, Banking ect. No other city will reach NYC level. San Francisco with Silicon valley already claims Metro GDP passed Chicago metro. Toronto (not in the US) Surpassed the City proper population in North America. Houston is next eyeing city proper population surpassing and has done much annexing of communities. But Washington DC eyes its Metro overtaking Chicago metro population in the future. Atlanta also sees It could be situated for a boom to greatly grow.

I could add DO NOT mention Chicago in Cleveland threads. A Thread calling Cleveland a mini-Chicago.... was unacceptable to them and to say Cleveland could have more of a Lakefront like Chicago has. Did not either.

Last edited by steeps; 07-14-2015 at 10:45 AM..

Old 07-14-2015, 11:29 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,862 times
Quote:

Cosign. How one can speak on not just one but TWO places they don't live in is beyond me.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:32 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
The only city that reminds me of Chicago at all in North America is Toronto. Chicago and Toronto actually have a lot in common more than any other US city and Chicago and they are both Great Lakes Cities.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:39 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Where are you from? You don't even list it, so according to your standard, you have no legitimacy? Props to those who aren't afraid to list where they're from.
I'm a native Philadelphian and have familial roots, regarding the city, going back a century. Good enough for you?

Old 07-14-2015, 11:40 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Cosign. How one can speak on not just one but TWO places they don't live in is beyond me.
This is the city vs city forum. If people are not speaking as experts about cities they've never visited, never mind this live stuff, none of these threads would have more than one page of replies.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:43 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
That's a pretty inflammatory statement. Just because someone doesn't live in a city, or hasn't for years, doesn't mean there is no legitimacy to what they say. There's this thing called Google, and it can link anyone to a world of information. You can't discount the Internet. Also, visits can produce a lot of information, especially if you've been keeping up with the newspapers of a city, family and friends who may still live there with information, etc. Just because you don't live in a city, doesn't mean you're completely in the dark. Silly of you to think so.
That's horse****. The local perspective IS the best perspective. The internet, while informative, cannot substitute that. Things happen quicker in real life than even the internet. Google street view isn't even up to date. How would one know that Frankford Avenue is undergoing construction by the waterfront if you weren't here in Philadelphia? I live in the area and even that caught me off guard. It isn't exactly broadcast on the internet. That's just one example. Stats and bits of data don't tell the whole story.Neighborhood demographics is probably the best example. Yelp can't tell you everything. I'd say the local perspective is at least 75% the true vibe of an area--internet, tv, stats, etc make up the rest...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City