Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 04:27 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,918,320 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh's most important "Second City" would be an actual city neighborhood - Oakland followed by East Liberty.

If it were a different municipality, it would be:

Tier 1:
Cranberry
Mount Lebanon
Robinson/Moon

Tier 2:
Monroeville
Greensburg
Washington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 01:40 PM

10,107 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Baltimore-Annapolis.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:42 PM

574 posts, read 689,510 times
Minneapolis
-St Paul, second city(which sucks since they were established first)
-Bloomington - suburb(technically its a city but...)

Old 07-17-2015, 10:17 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I'd say Arlington takes that spot.
Historically, yes, but now, Plano for sure. Plano has far more corporate offices and headquarters than Arlington, which mainly functions as a bedroom community for both Dallas and Fort Worth. There are amusement parks and sports stadiums in the city and a fast growing university, but Plano has a far higher cachet and has become an office center in its own right. You have people from all over Collin County and even the City of Dallas who commute to Plano for its jobs. It's definitely the most important suburb in the DFW area.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:37 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I'm thinking Pasadena needs to be in the mix when discussing 2nd cities in the Houston area. It is basically thought of as the center of the industrial heart of the Houston area. All the other suburbs you listed are basically white collar enclaves and commuter cities (bedroom communities) of Houston.
Galveston is probably the most well known 2nd city in the metro. But I can see Pasadena being the most economically important 2nd city.

I'd probably rank them:

2. Galveston
3. Pasadena
4. The Woodlands
5. Baytown
6. Sugar Land

Old 07-17-2015, 10:48 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Galveston is probably the most well known 2nd city in the metro. But I can see Pasadena being the most economically important 2nd city.

I'd probably rank them:

2. Galveston
3. Pasadena
4. The Woodlands
5. Baytown
6. Sugar Land
Do you think The Woodlands surpassing Pasadena in the future? Seems like The Woodlands is not only growing fast with lots of new residents, but seems to attract a lot of major companies there too.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:44 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
I always thought Decatur was more important than Marietta. It has a bigger and far more charming downtown that has way more sex appeal to creative types and young professionals. It's home to Emory and the CDC. It's connected to Atlanta via MARTA. As spread out as Atlanta is, in my mind I actually do have a hard time calling it a suburb rather than a closer in neighborhood, but alas, it is technically a suburb. Relative to Atlanta, Marietta is definitely more of a "suburb". Aren't Decatur and Buckhead about equidistant to Midtown/Downtown (and both are well within the Perimeter)? I mean they would certainly be suburbs in other cities, but Atlanta is just so spread out that it almost feels like anything within 10 miles, practically Sandy Springs included, feels like "the city" and anything outside of the Perimeter/10 miles feels like suburbs.
I wouldn't say Decatur is more important than Marietta. The downtown in Decatur isn't that much bigger but I do think it's better. However, Marietta feels more of an independent city compared to Decatur and it's due to the fact that Decatur is much closer to Atlanta's city limits...

Old 07-18-2015, 08:46 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,017 times
Raleigh-Cary

Old 07-18-2015, 11:25 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Do you think The Woodlands surpassing Pasadena in the future? Seems like The Woodlands is not only growing fast with lots of new residents, but seems to attract a lot of major companies there too.
I don't see The Woodlands ever passing Pasadena. I say that because the Port of Houston will always be the most important economically to Houston. The Woodlands will always be more attractive place to live and work but because it's so planned and so much of the space is devoted to keeping it a nice safe and beautiful place to live it will always be limited.

But I could see Galveston falling to the 3rd slot and Pasadena moving to the first slot and The Woodlands moving ahead to the 2nd slot. The Woodlands is quickly becoming a very attractive place to not only live and work but also a place to visit.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:44 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,267,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore-Annapolis.
See, I'd have said Towson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City