Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Dallas. Better reputation?
Houston 83 25.38%
Dallas 195 59.63%
Draw 49 14.98%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 10:45 AM

12,836 posts, read 22,009,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Sad but true. Being anything in Texas that isn't called Austin has a bad reputation outside of Texas or more conservative places. But frankly, at least as far as the large cities are concerned, its pure ignorance.
Eh, I don't know. San Antonio has a pretty good reputation to a lot of people up here that don't know anything about Texas. My girlfriend was born there (though she moved before she was out of diapers), so it often comes up as "Oh, I've heard great things about San Antonio!" For smaller places, people talk about Corpus Christi, South Padre, and San Marcos come up positively too when people talk about Texas. Same for College Station when college/partying is in the discussion.

Dallas does have sort of a stereotypical "Country/ Everything's Bigger In Texas" reputation about it, but not completely in a bad way. There's sort of a romance about it among many.

On the other hand, Houston really (and surprisingly) isn't on anyone's radar. I have a friend who lives there and works for NASA, and I have another who is a chemical engineer. They both like it a good deal, but aren't at all in love with it. It rarely comes up in conversation. I wouldn't say it's looked upon negatively as much as I'd say people just don't talk about it. I feel like many smaller cities (Charleston, Asheville, Boise, Denver, Nashville, Salt Lake City, Tampa, Orlando, Portland, etc.) across the country come up in conversation here as much as or more than Houston does.

So to answer the original question, Dallas is probably viewed more positively, but Houston isn't viewed all that negatively. It's just not really part of the conversation. Comparable to Phoenix in that regard (although I'd argue Phoenix may even be mentioned more).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 10:51 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
I don't have to show you anything. You have done it all over City-Data and you have gotten called out about it by various posters on a regular basis, yet you STILL continue to make the ludicrous claims every time Black and Mexican/Latino relations are brought up on City-Data. Everybody knows this, and it's all there for anybody on City-Data to see, yet you keep on doing it.
Of course you won't show me because you can't show me.

I'm not sure what various posters you're referring to, but if they, like you, have consistently proven to be less knowledgeable on these subjects than I am, I can certainly see why they would have a problem with the things I say.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:54 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,101,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Of course you won't show me because you can't show me.

I'm not sure what various posters you're referring to, but if they, like you, have consistently proven to be less knowledgeable on these subjects than I am, I can certainly see why they would have a problem with the things I say.
Sure, man! If you say so!

The proof is in the pudding (all over City-Data). I'm not going to play that "go through someone's posting history, follow them all over City-Data, and quote all of their old posts" game with you. I don't have the time for it. But anyone who has seen you post about this continuously on City-Data knows it's part of your M.O.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 07-23-2015 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: Grammatical error

Old 07-23-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I don't have to show you anything. You have done it all over City-Data and you have gotten called out about it by various posters on a regular basis, yet you STILL continue to make the ludicrous claims every time Black and Mexican/Latino relations are brought up on City-Data. Everybody knows this, and it's all there for anybody on City-Data to see, yet you keep on doing it.

EDIT: You also like to go back and quickly edit your responses to people who catch you in the wrong, after you catch yourself lying to cover up your previous lies and misinformation. Just thought I'd add that since you have done it again while I was right in the middle of quoting and replying to what you originally posted, which makes it look like I didn't quote the entire thing, or misquoted it.
Where's the lie, though? The burden of proof is on you, sir.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Sure, man! If you say so!

The proof in the pudding (all over City-Data). I'm not going to play that "go through someone's posting history, follow them all over City-Data, and quote all of their old posts" game with you. I don't have the time for it. But anyone who has seen you post about this continuously on City-Data knows it's part of your M.O.
Seems to me like you have plenty of time. You've quoted me about five times now but still haven't disproved anything I said.

Since it doesn't look like you'll be corroborating your point anytime today, I'll save us both some time and end this discussion now.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:01 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Dallas does have sort of a stereotypical "Country/ Everything's Bigger In Texas" reputation about it, but not completely in a bad way. There's sort of a romance about it among many.
I recall meeting a Australian tourist who came to Dallas expecting that and was highly dissappointed until I suggest he visit Fort Worth. I kept in contact with him and he loved Fort Worth!

Old 07-23-2015, 11:10 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,101,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Seems to me like you have plenty of time. You've quoted me about five times now but still haven't disproved anything I said.

Since it doesn't look like you'll be corroborating your point anytime today, I'll save us both some time and end this discussion now.
That's another part of your M.O. here on City-Data; trying to go behind someone after they have already ended the discussion with YOU and pretending you ended it first (last ditch effort to try to save face). LOL, enjoy the rest of your afternoon, sir!

Old 07-23-2015, 12:41 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,065 times
Quote:
The thing is that most of Houston feels like an extension of Mexico. If the question were asked "who has more power in the city?", then I think that African Americans do. They have more control at city hall though not quite like whites. But, if we talk about the entire city, the city feels more Hispanic on the whole. These arent neighborhoods where Hispanics are conforming to black culture for the most part either. These are neighborhoods where almost everything is in Spanish and all the shops cater to the various Hispanic ethnicities.
Oh I don't disagree. Houston is not San Antonio, Phoenix or LA yet in terms of Hispanic political influence.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:25 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
I recall meeting a Australian tourist who came to Dallas expecting that and was highly dissappointed until I suggest he visit Fort Worth. I kept in contact with him and he loved Fort Worth!
This was my first experience visiting DFW (though I wasn't disappointed by Dallas). It was Fort Worth that exuded more of the generic Texas stereotypes than Dallas.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:26 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,772,850 times
Quote:
The thing is that most of Houston feels like an extension of Mexico. If the question were asked "who has more power in the city?", then I think that African Americans do. They have more control at city hall though not quite like whites. But, if we talk about the entire city, the city feels more Hispanic on the whole. These arent neighborhoods where Hispanics are conforming to black culture for the most part either. These are neighborhoods where almost everything is in Spanish and all the shops cater to the various Hispanic ethnicities.

DFW is attracting blacks at a surprisingly higher rate despite the fact that Houston is more popular among African Americans. I think part of the explination lies in the fact that, for whatever reason, DFW is a much larger magnent for immigrants from Africa (sans Nigeria). But thats only a portion of it.

Looking at the incoming data into both areas, most blacks that move to Houston come from other parts of the South. Most blacks from DFW are coming from Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis and other parts of the Midwest. This does re-enforce what Ive said over and over: Houston is a MUCH more Southern city than Dallas. Dallas always felt more like a blend of Midwest/Great Plains/Southern where as Houston is almost straight Gulf Coast/Southern. Both are being modified greatly since they are attracting tons of immigrants (domestic and international). People like to act like cities are what they are and will never change, but thats just not true. There was a time when even Miami wasnt a Latino city...
Houston does not feel like Mexico. If anything it feels like Lousiana!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City