Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Dallas. Better reputation?
Houston 83 25.38%
Dallas 195 59.63%
Draw 49 14.98%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 01:19 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Oh there you go again! You mean because DFW is more "Midwestern" and Houston is more "southern"? You are just finding a different way of saying the same thing you have been saying since I have been reading your post on CD which is if you don't like the south for whatever reason you will not like Houston.. As if DFW is not southern or less southern than Houston. Like I posted before you are either pregnant or you are not. Dallas/DFW is just as southern as Houston is whatever degree that may be.
No, you're full of it and your logic sucks.

You're either pregnant or you're not is the most stupid comparison I've read.

Houston is more southern than DFW. Period. That not a bad thing, it's not a good thing. It's a fact. I've lived in both and you're incapable of see the world from a non-Houston perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 01:35 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
No, you're full of it and your logic sucks.

You're either pregnant or you're not is the most stupid comparison I've read.

Houston is more southern than DFW. Period. That not a bad thing, it's not a good thing. It's a fact. I've lived in both and you're incapable of see the world from a non-Houston perspective.
lol ok forget the analogy. Others in this thread have posted that DFW is just as southern as Houston, who are not from Houston, and are obviously not posting from a Houston point of view. Perhaps you would like to reply to their post .

BTW you may want to edit that full of it remark....

Old 07-25-2015, 01:50 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post

Houston is more southern than DFW. Period. That not a bad thing, it's not a good thing. It's a fact.
It is a fact that Houston is further south than Dallas, as Miami is further south than Jacksonville. But it is only your opinion that Houston as a whole is more culturally southern than Dallas, and you have yet to expound on this opinion.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:00 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I gotcha now for the first part, but you're still saying the same thing you've said before. Houston still feels more like Louisiana and has a stronger black culture than Mexican culture. Mexicans here are just like Mexicans in other parts of the South; they add little to the culture compared to the whites and blacks. I would go ahead and say that the Asians have some strong culture here too.
I disagree. To show you, I will go ahead and show you what most of "the South" combined looks like against real Latino and/or Hispanic cities/metropolises like Southeast Florida (Miami) and Houston, to a lesser extent the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex too.

Houston's Mexican population is larger than entire "Southern" states put together, when you look at its total Latin American population (there are over half-a-million Latinos in Houston that aren't Mexican), it literally single-handily is larger than an agglomeration of "Southern" states, by Total Latin American and/or Hispanic population.

Observe.

Total Population:
- Greater Miami/Fort Lauderdale CSA: 6,558,143
- Greater Houston CSA: 6,686,318
- Greater Dallas/Fort Worth CSA: 7,352,613
- "The South" [MS + AL + GA + S.C. + N.C. + KY]*: 37,130,702

Total Latin American and/or Hispanic Population:
- Greater Miami/Fort Lauderdale CSA: 2,611,284
- Greater Houston CSA: 2,363,291
- "The South" [MS + AL + GA + S.C. + N.C. + KY]*: 2,319,447
- Greater Dallas/Fort Worth CSA: 1,886,924

* The "South" states in the brackets are abbreviations for Mississippi + Alabama + Georgia + South Carolina + North Carolina + Kentucky, for those that may not be familiar with some of the abbreviations.

So two cities and their suburbs/urbanized area that only have 6.5 million and 6.6 million people, respectively, have larger and more diverse Latino/Hispanic populations than an organization of Southern states with 37 million people. It isn't until you add Tennessee that "the South" finally pull away from Houston and Miami/Fort Lauderdale on total Latin American or Hispanic population.

Total Population:
- "The South" [MS + AL + GA + S.C. + N.C. + KY + TN]*: 43,680,054

- "The South" [MS + AL + GA + S.C. + N.C. + KY + TN]*: 2,617,374

^ That is until both Miami and Houston surpass even that (and they will, their Latino population growth is more than all those states in the South combined). In both cases, Houston and Miami's Latino populations are also more diverse than that of "the South's" while simultaneously being larger than it too. Threw in Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex in there too.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I disagree. To show you, I will go ahead and show you what most of "the South" combined looks like against real Latino and/or Hispanic cities/metropolises like Southeast Florida (Miami) and Houston, to a lesser extent the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex too.

Houston's Mexican population is larger than entire "Southern" states put together, when you look at its total Latin American population (there are over half-a-million Latinos in Houston that aren't Mexican), it literally single-handily is larger than an agglomeration of "Southern" states, by Total Latin American and/or Hispanic population.

Observe.

Total Population:
- "The South" [MS + AL + GA + S.C. + N.C. + KY]*: 37,130,702

- "The South" [MS + AL + GA + S.C. + N.C. + KY]*: 2,319,447

* The "South" states in the brackets are abbreviations for Mississippi + Alabama + Georgia + South Carolina + North Carolina + Kentucky, for those that may not be familiar with some of the abbreviations.

So two cities and their suburbs/urbanized area that only have 6.5 million and 6.6 million people, respectively, have larger and more diverse Latino/Hispanic populations than an organization of Southern states with 37 million people. It isn't until you add Tennessee that "the South" finally pull away from Houston and Miami/Fort Lauderdale on total Latin American or Hispanic population.

Total Population:
- "The South" [MS + AL + GA + S.C. + N.C. + KY + TN]*: 43,680,054

- "The South" [MS + AL + GA + S.C. + N.C. + KY + TN]*: 2,617,374

^ That is until both Miami and Houston surpass even that (and they will, their Latino population growth is more than all those states in the South combined). In both cases, Houston and Miami's Latino populations are also more diverse than that of "the South's" while simultaneously being larger than it too. Threw in Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex in there too.
So the rest of the South does in fact have a larger Latino population than Greater Houston or DFW

Old 07-25-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
So the rest of the South does in fact have a larger Latino population than Greater Houston or DFW
Yeah, only takes a combination of 7 whole American states, a population base of over 43 million people, and vast land area of 327,000 square miles to do it too (to finally surpass the individual metropolitan areas of Houston and Miami, lesser extent Dallas/Fort Worth).

LOL.

Back to my point though, Houston's Latino population doesn't take anything away from its Black and/or African-American population, which is over 1.1 million people, that is substantial in itself. My point was that it is by zero means whatsoever like the rest of the South (its Mexican or Hispanic/Latino population I mean).

Old 07-25-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah, only takes a combination of 7 whole American states, a population base of over 43 million people, and vast land area of 327,000 square miles to do it too (to finally surpass the individual metropolitan areas of Houston and Miami, lesser extent Dallas/Fort Worth).

LOL.

Back to my point though, Houston's Latino population doesn't take anything away from its Black and/or African-American population, which is over 1.1 million people, that is substantial in itself. My point was that it is by zero means whatsoever like the rest of the South (its Mexican or Hispanic/Latino population I mean).
To rephrase, it seemed like he was saying that, in general, a Mexican in Houston is just like a Mexican anywhere else in the South.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
To rephrase, it seemed like he was saying that, in general, a Mexican in Houston is just like a Mexican anywhere else in the South.
Possibly yeah.

I'm not Mexican nor do I live in Houston anymore and haven't in a few years now, so I don't personally know how Mexican people live in Houston versus the rest of the South.

One thing I do know, since I have a lot of Latino friends (especially in Houston), is that Houston has far far far more amenities and things going for it that make Latinos feel comfortable there. This is not so readily apparent in the rest of the South (outside of Texas and Florida). A lot of places in the South seem to demographically be the same as United States Circa 1918, personal observation.

Houston's a beast of a logistical connection to Mexico. By plane or cruise, you can get to any relevant city in that country by ease from Houston. Not just Mexico, Latin America in general. So if Mexican people in Houston are like those anywhere else in the South, that could be true, it is also true that their amenities and offerings are exponentially far more abundant and superior in Houston versus other points in the South.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:15 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Possibly yeah.

I'm not Mexican nor do I live in Houston anymore and haven't in a few years now, so I don't personally know how Mexican people live in Houston versus the rest of the South.

One thing I do know, since I have a lot of Latino friends (especially in Houston), is that Houston has far far far more amenities and things going for it that make Latinos feel comfortable there. This is not so readily apparent in the rest of the South (outside of Texas and Florida), some parts of which are straight up segregated in zone formats, with demographics that still resemble United States Circa 1918.

Houston's a beast of a logistical connections to Mexico. By plane or cruise, you can get to any relevant city in that country by ease from Houston. Not just Mexico, Latin America in general. So if Mexican people in Houston are like those anywhere else in the South, that could be true, it is also true that their amenities and offerings are exponentially far more abundant and superior in Houston versus other points in the South.
I think it's pretty inaccurate to generalize the "rest of the South" outside of Houston that way. It's not all the same...some places are better for Latinos than others.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It's not all the same...some places are better for Latinos than others.
Atlanta is a good city for Latinos/Hispanics (and Mexican people) in the MS-AL-GA-SC-NC-TN-KY region of the South. It is the largest hub for Mexican and Latino/Hispanic culture in MS-AL-GA-SC-NC-TN-KY region of the South. That being said, it is in no way competitive with Houston or Dallas/Fort Worth on things for Mexican people, nor competitive with Miami, Houston, and Dallas/Fort Worth on Latino and/or Hispanic culture and amenities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I think it's pretty inaccurate to generalize the "rest of the South" outside of Houston that way.
I think Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex is as attractive of a place to Latinos/Hispanics and specifically Mexican people as Houston is. I also think Miami/Fort Lauderdale area is better than Houston for Latinos, although not Mexican people. I think these three though; 1) Miami/Fort Lauderdale, 2) Houston, and 3) Dallas/Fort Worth, in that precise order, are the best three in South for Latinos and/or Hispanics (not counting places on the Border with Mexico or San Antonio, both of which are obvious).

I wanted to share that I do think there is a place better than Houston for Latinos in the South (Miami/Fort Lauderdale) and another one that's nearly as good (Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex), since you think I'm being under-appreciative to other places in the South outside of Houston in regards to Latinos and/or Hispanics.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 07-25-2015 at 06:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City