Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Dallas. Better reputation?
Houston 83 25.38%
Dallas 195 59.63%
Draw 49 14.98%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 08:07 PM

69 posts, read 118,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
wow, im not sure if you're purposely trying to be ignorant, or not realizing it.. but CNN Money Magazine ranks best cities between 50,000-300,000 people. you do realize DFW has ELEVEN cities between 100,000-300,000 people (couldn't find a list starting at 50,000). Houston has ONE between 100,000-300,000.

the city of Dallas is about half the size of Houston, yet the DFW metro is slightly larger than Greater Houston, because DFW has a ton of suburban cities not included by Dallas. many of Houstons suburban areas are inside the city of Houston, and thus don't qualify for CNN Money Magazines best places to live in.

so the 85,000 people in the city of Carmel make up the whole state of Indiana?what about the other 6.5 million people? why would they care about Carmels ranking or Money Magazines list of best places to live, and thus know about DFW suburbs?

funny how this link popped up in my searches of each cities suburban populations..

Houston suburbs dominate 'Best Places to Live in Texas' list - Houston Chronicle
I'll admit that was a stupid comment I made, but I still, as a non-texan, view Dallas has having a bit of a better rep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 10:14 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,543,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Those bridges are apart of the Trinity River project, which has been delayed for years. The project calls for turning the floodplain into a park and putting lakes around the Trinity.
unfortunately the original vision of that project will likely never be realized.

We spent $19 Million for Trinity Lakes. Don't Expect a Lake. | Dallas Observer

Old 08-02-2015, 02:03 AM

20,508 posts, read 33,399,290 times
That's because they are to busy trying to build a 2 billion dollar freeway inside the levee and inside the park. Just backwards. Opposite of what a park is suppose to be.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:03 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,543,940 times
well yeah, but i meant that its pretty much impossible for them to build the big lakes (and some of the things that went with them) that they originally wanted to build as part of the Trinity project.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:34 AM

12,734 posts, read 9,424,115 times
Houstonians seem obsessed with Dallas and other cities.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:17 PM

6,267 posts, read 7,447,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Houstonians seem obsessed with Dallas and other cities.
You have it backwards Dallas and "other" cities are obsessed with Houston. Houston is without a doubt the most hatted city on the internet.....Get over it...

Old 08-02-2015, 05:07 PM

352 posts, read 568,210 times
Default Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
I knew Dallas would win the polls, its just something about North Texas that just screams "High End", i always considered Dallas as the city that represents the "big city life" here, but after living in Houston and briefly in Dallas I think things are changing. Some folks like Houston, some like Dallas, but I think that Houston is getting much deserved attention, just wish the city would focus more on urbanity and public transportation.
Agreed, and I say its a draw.

After living in both places also, I'd say that both metro's are equally liked and disliked by folks so, their overall reputations seem fairly equal. Basically, besides a few differences, both places have jobs, housing, decent school options and hot summers. Folks just pick which one has the better overall opportunities and comfort level that fits their bill, so it seems.

When people outside of Texas ask me about which one is "better", i just tell them to visit both cities for a few days during August and decide.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:53 PM

20,508 posts, read 33,399,290 times
Dallas is rarely talked about in city vs city. You can see that practically one Dallasite has posted in this thread and that was only a few pages ago. Dallasites do not come to this part of the forum.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 08-03-2015 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: Removed orphaned quote

Old 08-03-2015, 12:08 AM

6,267 posts, read 7,447,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Dallas is rarely talked about in city vs city. You can see that practically one Dallasite has posted in this thread and that was only a few pages ago. Dallasites do not come to this part of the forum.
If that is true then why do they avoid city vs city ? I mean Dallas seems to have such a great reputation here and all

Old 08-03-2015, 08:33 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,650,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
If that is true then why do they avoid city vs city ? I mean Dallas seems to have such a great reputation here and all
Because, perhaps, they dont feel the need to constantly try and boost their city to a bunch of strangers who they will never meet.

Im antagonistic and I dont care so thats different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City