U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 11:18 AM

103 posts, read 110,327 times

Advertisements

We all know none of these cities are on the coast or in a state that borders the pacific so that disqualifies them from being considered "west coast" and I know "west coast" is a loose term because we have the Pacific Northwest, Bay Area, Southern Cali, Central Valley, ect. but from what you can gather which one of these cities fits the west coast best?

Las Vegas
Phoenix
Denver
Salt Lake City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 03:43 PM

5,602 posts, read 3,473,482 times
Phoenix. The people, the scenery, the culture, etc, most closely resembles what most think of when they think of the West Coast, and thats California. Plus, I swear half the population here are ex-Californians anyways. lol

Old 07-21-2015, 04:13 PM

696 posts, read 821,079 times
Las Vegas and Phoenix no doubt.

Phoenix = Desert San Diego (conservative / family oriented)
Vegas = Desert LA (modern/progressive/entertainment capital)

Old 07-21-2015, 04:38 PM

325 posts, read 191,525 times
Phoenix is kind of the overflow of Riverside County or an extension of the Inland Empire - it's where you go when you can't afford LA. Nothing "coastal" about it, but some lower-middle class Californian elements to be certain (although it is predominately flavored by the reactionary weirdos from the Midwest that settle it).

Las Vegas is an odd bird - and I wouldn't confuse the fact that nearly 1/3 of the visitors are from Southern California with it being similar to LA.

Oddly enough, I think Denver has some commonalities with the PNW that shouldn't be too overstated.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:23 PM

125 posts, read 97,319 times
Phoenix is like a bizarro, less culturally progressive, less dense, less urban, and much less interesting version of the LA Metro area. Las Vegas is a playground for West Coast cities. It's a stretch, but Denver is probably most similar to the PNW and the Bay Area culturally.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:05 PM

21,275 posts, read 20,883,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoolguy View Post
We all know none of these cities are on the coast or in a state that borders the pacific so that disqualifies them from being considered "west coast" and I know "west coast" is a loose term because we have the Pacific Northwest, Bay Area, Southern Cali, Central Valley, ect. but from what you can gather which one of these cities fits the west coast best?

Las Vegas
Phoenix
Denver
Salt Lake City
Maybe you could explain what a "west coast" city "feels like" to you. That would be helpful to those of us considering posting.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:21 PM

2,604 posts, read 4,827,949 times
Salt Lake City? No. SLC feels like a Utah city, Intermountain West.

For example, SLC is nothing like Portland or Seattle or San Fran or LA in any regards.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:22 AM

327 posts, read 373,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exlamatir View Post
Phoenix is like a bizarro, less culturally progressive, less dense, less urban, and much less interesting version of the LA Metro area. Las Vegas is a playground for West Coast cities. It's a stretch, but Denver is probably most similar to the PNW and the Bay Area culturally.
define "bizzaro" , LA is everything mentioned plus incredibly overpopulated, polluted and overpriced at this point. If Phoenix is everything LA is not can't that be looked at as a good thing for some people?

Old 07-23-2015, 01:51 AM

4,334 posts, read 3,147,124 times
Las Vegas. Las Vegas, outside of the strip, looks just like Palm Springs, Indio, and Inland Empire. Las Vegas also has managed to attract some California chains that Phoenix does not have, like Von's. Also even the Las Vegas development of suburbia reflects more of California's architecture better than Phoenix. Also Las Vegas desert looks more like SoCal desert in my opinion.

To be fair Phoenix is not too far from it. Easily #2 and not by much. Phoenix reflects San Diego more, I'll agree to that, but there are more things that make Phoenix unique from southern California. Outside of the saguaros (Phoenix's most recognized and unique item), Phoenix has Native American reservations within the metro, and even farmland. The California farmland is much more inland and not included in the San Diego/Los Angeles metros I believe. The development is slightly different. The differences are easier to spot if you've been to all four.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:55 PM

8,440 posts, read 10,721,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Maybe you could explain what a "west coast" city "feels like" to you. That would be helpful to those of us considering posting.
I agree, Katz. All could meet elements of what coastal cities feel like.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or