Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 07:57 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,618,026 times

Advertisements

This is something that is interesting to me, as this forum has members from all over the nation, and even Canada. What are the Top 50 U.S. Cities as of right now, in 2015?

Cities change over time and lose/gain prominence. There was a time Detroit was certainly a top 10 city, and most everyone agrees today it is probably closer to 20 than 10...

When thinking of this topic, I'm not asking about "tiers", per se, although if that's how you choose to categorize in order to answer, that's cool. Also, im not particularly asking for cities to be placed in order, unless you feel like an order is necessary. I'm already of the impression that there are only 11 true "major" cities (NY, Chi, LA, SF, DC, Boston, Philly, ATL, Miami, Houston, Dallas in no order) in the country today, so my biggest thing is the most important regional cities next. And 50 is a large number, I only settled on that as an even-out because there are 50 states. If you want to shrink the pool, be my guest...

The criteria I judge are the normal factors: economy, education, influence in pop culture, finance and wealth, diversity of economy, diversity of population, historic significance, etc. A new wrinkle I never considered before is a city's potential within the next decade, how that influences their ranking. And because most of us are American on here, this gives me a chance to see what the general American socio-demographic nerd views our cities, rather than what we read in publications...

So is Birmingham a top 50 city? Oklahoma City? Rochester? Newark or Jersey City? Oakland? All comments are helpful; nothing is out of bounds here as I'm simply trying to gauge American perspective on the importance of our cities...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 09:53 PM

603 posts, read 930,768 times
I would just go with the fifty largest metro areas as the top fifty. Here is a link with them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Newark is a suburb of New York City so it wouldn't count. Similar situation with Oakland to San Francisco.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:08 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,545,940 times
Seattle? Not a major city? Baltimore? Detroit?

Old 07-21-2015, 10:09 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,685,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
When thinking of this topic, I'm not asking about "tiers", per se, although if that's how you choose to categorize in order to answer, that's cool. Also, im not particularly asking for cities to be placed in order, unless you feel like an order is necessary. I'm already of the impression that there are only 11 true "major" cities (NY, Chi, LA, SF, DC, Boston, Philly, ATL, Miami, Houston, Dallas in no order) in the country today, so my biggest thing is the most important regional cities next. And 50 is a large number, I only settled on that as an even-out because there are 50 states. If you want to shrink the pool, be my guest...
I would add Seattle as #12 to your top major city list and call it a day

Old 07-21-2015, 11:30 PM

@righton @resident

Maybe because I'm from the East Coast, so Seattle isn't generally spoken of here, but is it really a major city? Because I look at Miami/Dallas/Boston/Philly as 'probably' the bottom four of the top 11, in no order. For Seattle to be included, it'd essentially have to be considered as equal weight to those four cities. And I just see it as a clear, significant step behind those four. Again, I am from the East, so I just may not have a handle on Seattle's stature. Would you say it's all-in-all of equal weight to any of those four?

I generally think of Seattle as being in that crowded middle tier of cities like Detroit and Baltimore, cities that are a clear step (or two) behind Miami/Philly/Dallas/Boston. Speaking of which, yes I guess the "major city" phrase can be stretched to include a grip of cities, but the 11 I listed, I just feel are self-sufficient and of a greater international profile than anywhere else here. Detroit and Baltimore both were unquestionably "major" at one time; today, I think it's debatable. Although I'd say Detroit is probably closer to being major because it is larger, straddles an international border and has the benefit of being the only major city in its state/general area. Both have definitely lost prominence over the years, though...

And I disagree about Oakland. I'm not certain how I'd rank a top 50 myself, but I feel like it has to have a place somewhere. It isn't a typical suburb, and pretty much is what the Bronx or even Queens are to New York. Oakland would definitely be an important city of it weren't close to SF....

And I can't figure out whether OKC is truly one of the Top 50 cities in the nation....

Old 07-22-2015, 02:54 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,882,970 times
Yes Seattle and Detroit are major important cities like Miami/Philly/Dallas/Boston and others are. and none of these cities are 2 tiers above the other.

Detroit and Windsor combined make an area of 5.7 million which is in the top 10 in population.

Miami's GDP is in the 200B range with Seattle and Detroit. The rest of the cities are in the 300B range however.

As for fortune 500 companies. Dallas has the most at 21 (ranking even higher than LA... wow). Detroit and Boston tie at 13. Seattle comes in at 10. Philly has 8. and Miami has 7. I was actually surprised that Baltimore doesn't have any fortune 500 companies in their area but their close to DMV.

Idk what metric your using to come up with only 11 major cities but as of right now I see at least 3 or 4 more that can hang with your list. Unless population is your biggest factor, if so then you still have to at least include Detroit and Phoenix before the population really dips down.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Yes Seattle and Detroit are major important cities like Miami/Philly/Dallas/Boston and others are. and none of these cities are 2 tiers above the other.

Detroit and Windsor combined make an area of 5.7 million which is in the top 10 in population.

Miami's GDP is in the 200B range with Seattle and Detroit. The rest of the cities are in the 300B range however.

As for fortune 500 companies. Dallas has the most at 21 (ranking even higher than LA... wow). Detroit and Boston tie at 13. Seattle comes in at 10. Philly has 8. and Miami has 7. I was actually surprised that Baltimore doesn't have any fortune 500 companies in their area but their close to DMV.

Idk what metric your using to come up with only 11 major cities but as of right now I see at least 3 or 4 more that can hang with your list. Unless population is your biggest factor, if so then you still have to at least include Detroit and Phoenix before the population really dips down.
Ah, I see what you're saying. According to gdp, I have to include Seattle if I include Miami, but Detroit and Phoenix are a little ways behind. Yet, according to population, I have to include them ahead of Seattle...

To answer your question, I don't consider population a huge factor, but strength of economy, I most definitely do. I am open to considering Detroit a major city, largely because of its historical significance to the nation, added to reasons I listed earlier. But I have a hard time calling Phoenix a major city. It's a big city, but "major"? On what metric? Besides population growth, I see no reason, and again, population growth is not essential, though there is an amount of importance. Raleigh is exploding in growth, for example, and while firmly within the top 50, it isn't a "major city" by any metric besides growth..,

Old 07-22-2015, 08:32 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post

Minneapolis is right behind Miami in terms of GDP and ahead of Detroit. It also has more Fortune 500 companies than Seattle, Miami, and Detroit. It's definitely in the same tier as Seattle and Detroit.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:35 AM

591 posts, read 819,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Minneapolis is right behind Miami in terms of GDP and ahead of Detroit. It also has more Fortune 500 companies than Seattle, Miami, and Detroit. It's definitely in the same tier as Seattle and Detroit.
Ehh I think Minneapolis is still widely considered in the Portland, Denver tier. Below Seattle.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:22 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,803,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
And I can't figure out whether OKC is truly one of the Top 50 cities in the nation....
By the numbers, it is. The metro area has almost 1.4 million in population and the city's economic growth isn't doing too bad right now. When it comes to actual quality of life and real amenities, I have a difficult time thinking of any other city that punches so far below its weight. OKC, given its size and economic strength, should be much better than it is. For one reason or another, the city can't seem to attract the kind of amenities or quality urban development that comparably-sized and smaller cities around the country are able to get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City