Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 01:05 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,823,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
There is no research to be done. If Georgia did not give tax incentives & breaks do you really think Hollywood would come calling? Florida gave those incentives too decades ago & Miami was also too be the "Hollywood" south then and when that vanished you had CSI : Miami being filmed back in LA.
Atlanta has a "niche" in the film industry which is good but don't think once those incentives disappear they won't suffer a similar fate.
Just look at how many Canadians cities that Hollywood chooses in Vancouver & Toronto over American ones in movies.
You need to get over being so threatened by Atlanta, Bob. You don't wear it well at all, and your biased and outdated opinions are just that - and are continually proven wrong.

Miami may eventually get a 'real' economy. Just sit back and enjoy the view of the current highrise boom, fueled by absentee foreign empty nesters 'parking' their cash temporarily. It's all good. Maybe Burger King will decide to keep their HQ's there, and not decamp to Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 04:56 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,781,021 times
LOL @ BOB FROM MIAMI!

I worked background on a film shoot in downtown Atlanta last night (actually just got home at 4 a.m.). The project wraps tomorrow. Every member of the crew that I spoke with has another job lined up starting next week. On the elevator going to our cars, one of the technical directors said "I'd love to go back to LA because the Georgia heat is killing me BUT THERE ARE NO JOBS THERE."

I worked tonight with a woman who just moved to Atlanta two weeks ago after 20 years in LA. She hadn't worked there in 6 months. She's worked EVERY DAY since she's been in Atlanta -- and just rented out her 1987 car for 13 weeks to a production company that's about to start shooting a period TV series in Atlanta. "Guess I'll have to rent another car to drive," she shrugged.

Two of the guys I worked with tonight were in a hurry to leave set at 3 a.m. Why? Because they had a 6:30 am call time in Norcross for the "Divergent" sequel -- which they've been doing, off and on, for the past month in addition to working other jobs. I could have worked on another movie starting at 6 am Friday as well but declined because I don't enjoy being up for 24-36 hours. I just do this for fun and some extra income.

THIS is the reality of the film and TV industry in Georgia right now. At last count there were around 45 productions currently under way. There is simply too much work and not enough people.

And now I'm going to bed. Later y'all!

Last edited by Newsboy; 08-07-2015 at 05:11 AM..

Old 08-07-2015, 07:50 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,660,156 times
Kudos to Newsboy, JMatl & Paris-On-Ponce for putting some factual context into this thread to support what is going on here in Atlanta & Georgia with the film industry, pitiful, jealous, drive-by sling shot arrows from afar notwithstanding... LOL!

Old 08-07-2015, 10:34 AM

8,468 posts, read 14,904,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Atlanta is not significantly cheaper...get real. The French Quarter may be expensive, but that's about it.
No, they are correct. My sister moved to New Orleans last year. You wouldn't believe what a house goes for in the New Orleans area. I'm talking $200k+ for a rundown shotgun house. I was quite shocked.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:40 AM

8,468 posts, read 14,904,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I'm trying to get into the film industry, and from all my research and searching for extra casting slots, something in Atlanta always pops up. It's definitely the new Hollywood at the moment.
You should definitely try your luck. Unlike LA, there aren't a million people walking around who are "actors", but they still have plenty of open casting calls for movies. You might get lucky like this kid, who got the recast of Spiderman for the next Marvel movie during a screentest between shooting Civil War in Atlanta a few months ago:

How the New 'Spider-Man' Team Was Chosen - Hollywood Reporter

Old 08-07-2015, 04:13 PM

632 posts, read 928,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You need to get over being so threatened by Atlanta, Bob. You don't wear it well at all, and your biased and outdated opinions are just that - and are continually proven wrong.

Miami may eventually get a 'real' economy. Just sit back and enjoy the view of the current highrise boom, fueled by absentee foreign empty nesters 'parking' their cash temporarily. It's all good. Maybe Burger King will decide to keep their HQ's there, and not decamp to Toronto.
Wow Bobdreamz. You got served!

Old 08-07-2015, 06:48 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,608,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
Wow Bobdreamz. You got served!
He typically does. But he always comes back for more.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:11 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,560,136 times
Keep dreaming Atlanta is the next "Hollywood"! Trashy crap like "Real Housewives of Atlanta" and Tyler Perry in a wig in every other movie.
Yeah.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Keep dreaming Atlanta is the next "Hollywood"! Trashy crap like "Real Housewives of Atlanta" and Tyler Perry in a wig in every other movie.
Yeah.
And there he goes! Ignorance truly is bliss isn't it Bob?

Old 08-07-2015, 09:30 PM

Default I'm

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
You should definitely try your luck. Unlike LA, there aren't a million people walking around who are "actors", but they still have plenty of open casting calls for movies. You might get lucky like this kid, who got the recast of Spiderman for the next Marvel movie during a screentest between shooting Civil War in Atlanta a few months ago:

How the New 'Spider-Man' Team Was Chosen - Hollywood Reporter
Those screen tests for the new Spiderman were, of course, done at Pinewood Studios amazing new production complex in Fayetteville GA -- the most advanced film studio IN THE WORLD!. Pinewood Atlanta is home studio for the new generation of movies in Marvel's cinematic universe. "Ant-Man" was filmed there last year. "Captain America Civil War" is about to wrap. "Guardians of the Galaxy 2" will start production in February. At least 3 more Marvel films are already under contract and will follow. Together, more than $1 BILLION will be spent on making movies in Fayette County over the next 3 years!

By then, Pinewood's full 700-acre development plan will be complete -- 27 sound stages, more than 2 million sf of support facilities, workshops, warehouses and office space, as well as hundreds of homes, two hotels, shopping, restaurants, an amphitheater and a film academy.

And there's not one Tyler Perry / Madea film or "Real Housewives" episode anywhere in that mix!

http://fayette-news.com/pinewood-stu...lopment-plans/

Last edited by Newsboy; 08-07-2015 at 09:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City