Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer
San Francisco 150 62.76%
Miami Beach 89 37.24%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 05:42 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I called friends and family recently and they said they've gotten plenty of rain recently. I was down there last month, and boy did it pour. You need to be updated, because Miami's "drought" ended in June Before Texas' began. It is a toss up for me and the dry season being in summer. I would rather it be in fall. I would not want it in winter though, as that would limit the amount of snow we get. I wish we got more snow than we do, and I wish it was more snow than freezing rain, which unlike snow, has very little redeeming qualities outside of being neat to look at later.
South Florida is still under severe and extreme drought conditions. DFW is only abnormally dry as of August 11.

United States Drought Monitor > Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 08:13 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,103,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
How old are you people?
Old enough to see an STD 50' in front of me
Comes with time.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:53 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
We ask that during the "rainy season" as no one expects rain in summer, even in really wet years it doesn't happen.
San Diego got nearly 2 inches of rain in July; normally they get only 0.02 inches so it's a whopping 100 times or 10,000 percent of normal! August has been rather uneventful for us, but didn't you guys get some thunderstorms up in the Bay Area about a week ago?

Summer rain is exceedingly rare here but when it happens, it's a good indicator that the drought will come to an abrupt end this winter.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:53 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,341 times
Only on city-data could a question about a totally subjective topic run 27 pages with people trying to convince others that they are somehow "wrong".

Old 08-19-2015, 02:11 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
All 3,110 counties ranked by scenery and climate.
Every county in America, ranked by scenery and climate - The Washington Post

San Francisco ranked 6th. Highest of any urban county in the United States.

Miami-Dade ranked 838th.

Wow.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:31 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
South Florida is still under severe and extreme drought conditions. DFW is only abnormally dry as of August 11.

United States Drought Monitor > Home
Hmm, outdated info. Been following the weather down there in South FL and it's been raining almost everyday for weeks (actually I was down there last week and it rained on and off). Definitely not drought conditions; you can tell by looking at the trees/lawns etc..

Old 08-19-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Hmm, outdated info. Been following the weather down there in South FL and it's been raining almost everyday for weeks (actually I was down there last week and it rained on and off). Definitely not drought conditions; you can tell by looking at the trees/lawns etc..
That's not how it works. The rain may have picked up recently, but every place needs a certain amount of rainfall before official drought conditions are removed.

This Thursday the drought measurements taken on August 18 will be released, and we'll see where South Florida stands. But as of last week, Miami is still in drought.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
That's not how it works. The rain may have picked up recently, but every place needs a certain amount of rainfall before official drought conditions are removed.

This Thursday the drought measurements taken on August 18 will be released, and we'll see where South Florida stands. But as of last week, Miami is still in drought.
Usually from January to June, there's very little rain all over FL(by the time summer arrives, we get more rain than the PNW).

As i said I lately drive down there every month or so and there are no signs of drought. The environment is lush and green(year round). If you want to talk about droughts, talk about CA.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Usually from January to June, there's very little rain all over FL(by the time summer arrives, we get more rain than the PNW).

As i said I lately drive down there every month or so and there are no signs of drought. The environment is lush and green(year round). If you want to talk about droughts, talk about CA.
I understand your point, but I think I'll stick with the professionals on this one. There's more to it than just how the trees and grass look.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I understand your point, but I think I'll stick with the professionals on this one. There's more to it than just how the trees and grass look.
The professionals' reports are based on the fact that (again), it rains very little from January to May(actually March-April-May are the driest months); so in a way there's a sorta "natural" drought every year. Then come June/July, it starts pouring, with heavy thundering etc.. until late September.

Perhaps you should listen to people who have lived in South FL than the pros..

If there was a severe drought in effect, all plants/vegetation would look brown or in distress or you would have to deal with random fires, as in much of CA. That ain't the case in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City