Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you think makes the best shows / movies?
NYC 7 24.14%
LA 20 68.97%
No way to tell if ie a native LA actor is performing on NYC streets vs a native NYC actor 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 12:09 PM

4,512 posts, read 4,043,147 times

Advertisements

When you watch a show / movie are you able to tell if it is predominantly produced and acted out with actors from new york vs los angeles? If so where do you think makes the best shows / movies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 02:50 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Living in New York, I can easily tell if a scene was actually shot on the streets in NYC or if its just a set in some other city/movie studio set. However, the poll question seems to be different from your post question, so I didn't vote in the poll.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:51 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times
What do you mean by "who makes the best shows/movies"? Even when they're filmed on location in NYC, 95% of the time its a studio back in LA. Sit the through credits of your favorite NYC movie or TV show sometime.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Living in New York, I can easily tell if a scene was actually shot on the streets in NYC or if its just a set in some other city/movie studio set. However, the poll question seems to be different from your post question, so I didn't vote in the poll.
Top 5 things I notice that clue me in that the movie I'm watching that's set in NYC was actually filmed here:

1. Orange or Red Metro buses in the background

2. California-style red painted curbs

3. Ficus or Palm trees (production teams usually keep palms out of the shots but always let ficuses slip through for some reason)

4. I recognize a street/building/landmark as something in my neighborhood

5. I remember seeing the scene being filmed 6-12 months prior

Old 08-07-2015, 03:57 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,428,286 times
They're both equally iconic

Old 08-07-2015, 11:17 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,921 times
Los Angeles is the film/television capital of the country. Lots have films and television shows take place in multiple cities but are something filmed in Los Angeles. Most recent example I can think of is Agent Carter. The show takes place in New York (it will apparently take place in Los Angeles next season), but it was all filmed in Los Angeles/Burbank. I recognized a lot of the scenes as DTLA shots, especially the Los Angeles Theatre on Broadway.

I agree that both have played significant roles in film and television.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:45 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
What do you mean by "who makes the best shows/movies"? Even when they're filmed on location in NYC, 95% of the time its a studio back in LA. Sit the through credits of your favorite NYC movie or TV show sometime.
... owned and financed by a media conglomerate headquartered in New York.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Los Angeles is the film/television capital of the country. Lots have films and television shows take place in multiple cities but are something filmed in Los Angeles. Most recent example I can think of is Agent Carter. The show takes place in New York (it will apparently take place in Los Angeles next season), but it was all filmed in Los Angeles/Burbank. I recognized a lot of the scenes as DTLA shots, especially the Los Angeles Theatre on Broadway.

I agree that both have played significant roles in film and television.
Quite a few TV shows (and films) set in Southern California (and NYC) are now shot in Atlanta. Los Angeles no longer holds exclusive rights to this little trick of the entertainment industry.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
... owned and financed by a media conglomerate headquartered in New York.
I'd rather live in the city filled with the creative types that are actually producing the content than the city with the bankers and capitalists. At my friend's birthday tonight I wound up chatting with the lead special effects guy working on Agents of SHIELD, and then wound up meeting the former-Activision artist that was the lead animator on Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1, 2, and 3.

But I guess if I was in New York I could have had a conversation with...a stockbroker or corporate VP? Sounds scintillating. Color me jealous.

Last edited by DistrictDirt; 08-08-2015 at 12:07 AM..

Old 08-08-2015, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
I'd rather live in the city filled with the creative types that are actually producing the content than the city with the bankers and capitalists. At my friend's birthday tonight I wound up chatting with the lead special effects guy working on Agents of SHIELD, and then wound up meeting the former-Activision artist that was the lead animator on Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1, 2, and 3.

But I guess if I was in New York I could have had a conversation with...a stockbroker or corporate VP? Sounds scintillating. Color me jealous.
Oh don't I know it! I'm too professional to name the A-listers I was on set with in Atlanta last night, but maybe I'll get some good photos at tomorrow's wrap party -- if I decide to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City