U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 01:49 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,969,120 times

Advertisements

[quote=Fishtacos;2623018]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Winter is surprisingly similar.

One word, wind.
3 words: Boston is windier.

"Despite its moniker of "Windy City," Chicago isn't the windiest. Dozens of cities, including Boston, New York and Dallas, have higher average annual wind speeds."

USA WEEKEND Magazine (http://www.usaweekend.com/05_issues/050710/050710weather.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 01:57 PM

7,244 posts, read 13,147,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misspetite View Post
I think most people here are going to sell you Chicago for obvious reasons but I'd choose DC. Chicago is very clique-y to me so I think you'd fare better socially in DC. Housing is more expensive though.
I will just state that I moved to Chicago from the Carolinas about 5 years ago and never had any problems, socially. I've always found the impression some have of Chicagoans as rude or clique-ish to be patently false. True, I live in a neighborhood with lots of transplants, but many of the areas on the North Side, anyway, ARE filled with transplants. I also have close friends who grew up in the city (North, South, and West sides) and have found them nothing but accomodating.

As for the weather, I think winters are better in DC, and summers are better in Chicago. I'd take summer in Chicago over summer anywhere. Hot some days, but nothing compared to NC or SC. People really get out and enjoy them, though. Festivals. Outdoor concerts all over. Outdoor dining EVERYWHERE. It's awesome.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:00 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,969,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
As for the weather, I think winters are better in DC, and summers are better in Chicago. I'd take summer in Chicago over summer anywhere. Hot some days, but nothing compared to NC or SC. People really get out and enjoy them, though. Festivals. Outdoor concerts all over. Outdoor dining EVERYWHERE. It's awesome.
Amen, brotha! Im glad Im not the only one who thinks that way. People think our entire summers suck because of the occasional nasty heat wave. Well, our heat waves here are what most areas of the south experience the entire summer. I do agree that DC winters are milder too.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:01 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,216,465 times
I agree that the stereotype (which in many cases is perpetuated by Chicagoans themselves) about being cliquish hasn't proven true for me either. That isn't to say that people can't be cliquey, but I haven't found it to be more severe than anywhere else. Quite the contrary really- I've felt very welcomed here.

And I totally agree that summer is Chicago is the most lovely place in the world!

Last edited by aragx6; 01-25-2008 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-25-2008, 02:06 PM

7,244 posts, read 13,147,857 times
Oh, and as for sports and cost-of-living:

Chicago is a sports town. It's one of the best places for spectator sports in the nation, and while it's tough to play tennis or golf much in the winter (obviously), there ARE several places to play tennis indoors.

Cost of living is more affordable than Boston or DC, but still not cheap.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:10 PM

1,816 posts, read 5,077,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allscot View Post
I live in Metrowest Boston and have similar job offers in Chicago and Washington DC.

I am interested to know if anyone has lived in either/both cities and could compare them if possible to Boston. My wife and I like the Boston area but we moved from London 15 years ago and still feel like we have a hard time fitting in (it's a bit clicky) and are ready for a change.

Which city would be a better fit in terms of social and family friendliness, housing, cost of living, weather, sports. My wife is a plays tennis and I golf.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
I think I can help you from personal experience. Boston and D.C. are much more similar in size than Chicago. East Coasters get an eye opener real quick when they experience the city's size(Chicago), big. If you want bigger, Chicago is way bigger than both of those cities.

Weather, always a hotly contended topic, D.C. is better than both of the others as far as milder winters, less snow, more seasons, better, earlier, longer Spring than either of those.

Social and family friendly, I'd go with Chicago, depending on where in D.C. metro you will be. Chicago is not a slow paced place but it isn't East Coast paced either.

Sports. D.C. is one of the nation's tennis friendliest cities. It has a big tennis community. You won't find that in Chicago with nearly the same organization, accessibility, or participation. Chicago scores much better in golf than it does tennis. Golf scores well in many cities these days. .....Chicago is primarily a pro sports viewership town. Cubs/Sox, Bears, Bulls, Hawks. It is also home to a big legion of Big Ten University grads who move to the Regional Big City. But sports in general are big in Chicago. Participation opportunities exist plenty in D.C. but D.C. isn't as big of a sports town when it comes to the viewership, except the Redskins. It does have the teams, but the attention and coverage isn't the same.

The biggest Differences: D.C is more like Boston is size. Are you comfortable with that size or do you want much bigger?(I see it all the time, Chicago is much too big for some and great for others, and D.C. is too small for some and great for others) Also, Chicago is a very Midwestern City in tone. It isn't the East Coast and that is good or bad based on your opinion. Both cities offer tons of traffic issues and good public transportation. Proximity to other cities/states. D.C. has big advantage here if you want to road trip on a weekend. Cities and States are much closer together out East. Chicago is definitely more spread out and less congested based on city size. There are plenty of transplants in both cities, so you won't have a problem there. Chicago offers more in quantity of things to do, i.e....let's say you wanted to see a play...you'd pick from say 50 different ones...or restaurants, etc...More doesn't always mean it's an advantage but again depends on your preferences. Obviously there are tons of Federal Govt jobs in D.C which will make it feel much different than Chicago. Weather is different. While D.C. isn't exactly Florida, weather will be different in Chicago. Summer and fall are best in Chicago. D.C and Boston are more expensive than Chicago. Chicago isn't a cheap place, but less expensive than those two.

You would need to visit both and see if you have a strong opinion one way or another on some of the basic differences. They are both good places to choose from.

Last edited by Fishtacos; 01-25-2008 at 02:19 PM..

Old 01-25-2008, 02:14 PM

1,816 posts, read 5,077,542 times
[quote=Steve-o;2623052]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post

3 words: Boston is windier.

"Despite its moniker of "Windy City," Chicago isn't the windiest. Dozens of cities, including Boston, New York and Dallas, have higher average annual wind speeds."

USA WEEKEND Magazine (http://www.usaweekend.com/05_issues/050710/050710weather.html - broken link)

We are talking about Chicago and D.C. Chicago is a great place, but it has cold windy harsh winters in the city, and Spring is not much reprieve. I could see if somebody said the hot humid summers of D.C. were too much for them, but I'd take the rest of the year weather of D.C. over Chicago. It's one category, but imo, and many others' opinions, that's one of the negatives to consider when stacking up the pros and cons. I'll be objective about it.

And, yes, coming from Boston, the adjustment wouldn't be as tough as a lot of other places, but perhaps that is something that matters to them.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:27 PM

50 posts, read 315,212 times
Having gone through a winter in both places, Chicago is much worse in the winter. DC it will snow once or twice a season now, and everyone panics and that's pretty much it. In Chicago snow be on the ground for a month. Go to Wikipedia for Chicago and DC; from November through March, DC has 10 degrees on Chicago--and while ten degrees doesn't seem like much, there is a big difference between 42 and 32 . . .

Old 01-25-2008, 03:09 PM

11,972 posts, read 26,857,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by july View Post
The public transportation in DC is about a million times better than in Chicago, and the traffic is better.
Actually, this is quite far from the truth. Yes, DC has nicer trains and stations, and everything is newer, faster, and cleaner. But Chicago's public transportation system is much more extensive than DC's... And is more useful in that it actually goes more places in the city. I've always found the DC system to just be too limited. It's really nice in terms of the newness, but isn't that well integrated into the city. You can really get around Chicago using public transportation--though it can be frustrating with all of the construction and infrastructure rot. If they brought Chicago's public transportation back up to the level it was just ten years ago, it would be wonderful!

Anyway, you can't go wrong with any of these choices. DC and Chicago are two of my favorite U.S. cities. Boston is great too, and many people say it's the most "European" American city. So you may actually find that you like Boston more than either of your new choices.

Chicago has a lot more going on than DC in terms of things to do outiside of work and family, but I'm not sure if that's important to you. And it's not like DC is a boring place... There are plenty of great restaurants and cultural offerings in DC. Outside of the crazy government stuff, it does seem to have a slower pace than Chicago--and it's MUCH more expensive--but both towns are great in my book.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:17 PM

11,972 posts, read 26,857,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I agree that the stereotype (which in many cases is perpetuated by Chicagoans themselves) about being cliquish hasn't proven true for me either. That isn't to say that people can't be cliquey, but I haven't found it to be more severe than anywhere else. Quite the contrary really- I've felt very welcomed here.
People are always complaining about different cities being "clique-y" on this board, and that baffles me. To me, that conjures images of high school lunch room drama. It usually seem like the people who are most worried about this are a bit socially akward themselves, and that perhaps they need to look in the mirror instead of blaming an entire city for not immediately liking them. It just sounds so silly! Aren't we all adults here? I don't think I've ever seen a "clique" in my adult life in Chicago, other than with the ultra rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or