U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2008, 10:14 AM

10 posts, read 32,905 times

Advertisements

I really appreciate the thoughts and comments. They were all very insightful, including the one that told me there were no real clique's in life. Which planet was he/she on.

it really sounds like the two cities I have to choose from are both good places in live in.

The flatness does really bother me about Chicago, I'm from Scotland originally and I am very used to hillsides and mountains nearby. So checkmark to DC.

The whole DC politics thing bothers me, I think most if not all politicians have agendas are in it for themselves. I'm not sure I could bite my tongue enough in DC. Chicago seems more straightforward and open. Checkmark Chicago

Weather. Checkmark DC.

Sports Teams. Chicago definitely. (But it will tough leaving New England right now!!)

Sports - Golf, tennis - Sounds like DC.

Housing - Chicago. (but I looked, it's not that much cheaper than Boston).

So we have a 3-3 tie and on into overtime!! I think it will come down which job has the best opportunity for me. I think the location is a wash.

Thanks again, I was overwhelmed by the number of responses. It reassures me that there are so many great friendly people out there willing to help out.

I'm trying to make sure I don't miss anyine on the positive message botton.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 09:43 AM

4,945 posts, read 8,260,768 times
Now to add my three cents. Chicago is a great city. I don't think you can go wrong. DC is east coast and very different vibe.

Transportation - It's a push. Chicago has more bus ridership. DC has more subway ridership. Large parts of Chicago don't have access to the EL
Museums - DC
Sports - Chicago (except for football season. The Redskins easily surpsass the Bears for fanaticism)
Food - Chicago
Nightlife - Maybe Chicago (DC has great nightlife too)
Neighborhoods - Chicago has an abundance of good neighborhoods but in Chicago matches Georgetown, Dupont Circle and Adams Morgan
Outdoor activities - DC has more parks (You can get lost in Rock Creek Park)
Scenery - Push -I love Chicago's Waterfront/Skyscrapers but DC is beautiful too especially around the Mall during the spring
Employment - Push (Both offer great opportunities)
Traffic - Push
Culture - Push
Urbanity - Chicago is more urban downtown but some parts on the southside have a notoriously suburban feel with strip malls.
Taxes - DC
Cost of Living - Chicago
Social Scene - It is easier to meet people in Chicago
Music Scene - Chicago
Housing - (cost Chicago/architecture DC)

Old 01-28-2008, 12:28 PM

45 posts, read 150,461 times
It's a myth that everyone in DC is into politics. If you work on the Hill, you are, but otherwise people are no more political than anywhere else. If you're into politics, you'll probably make friends with like-minded people, but if not, you can easily find people to associate with who are not focused on it. I've never been into politics, and I had no trouble attaining a politics free social life in DC. Don't let that be the reason you avoid DC.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:47 PM

4,665 posts, read 8,708,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Sports - Chicago (except for football season. The Redskins easily surpsass the Bears for fanaticism)
The rest of your post was fair (although, I believe the CTA+Metra services a much greater section of Chicagoland than DC's system, although DC's system services the suburbs more often.) However, the above statement cannot stand.

The skins have a great fanbase, no doubt. But easily surpasses the Bears? The only fanbase that I will agree surpasses the fanaticism of Bears fans is Green Bay, and that's only because they have absolutely nothing else in their simple lives besides the Packers and fishing stories.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:43 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,783,990 times
Hmm, I find Bears fans to be pretty fair-weather. When they're doing well or have potential, people watch. When we know they suck and will suck for the foreseeable future, people tune out. People are watching the Bears now because they had that fluke 12-3 season a few years ago and went to the Super Bowl last year, so we're looking to see how things pan out. But a few more seasons like this last one and people will start ho-humming about 'em again.

Cubs fans, on the other hand... the only thing like it is Red Sox fans.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:51 PM

4,945 posts, read 8,260,768 times
There is no comparison between the Redskins and the Bears. The Skins average more than 90,000 fans each game and have led the league in attendance since 97. They have a waiting list bigger than the Packers. They and the Cowpokes have surpassed the Yankees as the two wealthiest franchises in all of sports.

IMHO, Chicago is a much better sportstown than DC. Cubs and Sox trumps the Nats, Bulls and Wiz are even and the Hawks trump the Caps but not by much. However, Redskins football dominates. If you ever go to a game in Carolina or Northern Florida, you will see what I mean. I went to a game in Tampa two years ago and there were so many Skins fans that it was crazy. Same thing with Jacksonville and Charlotte. Now there is talk of the Skins moving back into DC and building a new stadium with a retractable roof that will seat over 100,000. The current stadium is only 11 years old. The Skins owner is trying to keep pace with Jerry Jones and his new toy in Dallas that will host the 20011 Super Bowl. The Bear's stadium only seats 60,000 plus. You could never do that in DC. There would be a riot because the fans would go crazy!

Last edited by DC's Finest; 01-28-2008 at 02:12 PM..

Old 01-28-2008, 02:04 PM

11,972 posts, read 26,845,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
The only fanbase that I will agree surpasses the fanaticism of Bears fans is Green Bay, and that's only because they have absolutely nothing else in their simple lives besides the Packers and fishing stories.
Them's fightin' werds! I'd get real mad and come find youse, but I got to go milk a cow before I head out to da fishin' pond!

Anyway, this former Wisconsinite non-outdoorsy lactose intolerant city slicker says "Go Pack!". And thanks for perpetuating idiotic stereotypes about Wisconsin. Really.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
There is no comparison between the Redskins and the Bears. The Skins average more than 90,000 fans each game and have led the league in attendance since 97. They have a waiting list bigger than the Packers. They and the Cowpokes have surpassed the Yankees as the two wealthiest franchises in all of sports.

IMHO, Chicago is a much better sportstown than DC. Cubs and Sox trumps the Nats, Bulls and Wiz are even and the Hawks trump the Caps but not by much. However, Redskins football dominates. If you ever go to a game in Carolina or Northern Florida, you will see what I mean. I went to a game in Tampa two years ago and there were so many Skins fans that it was crazy. Same thing with Jacksonville and Charlotte. Now there is talk of the Skins moving back into DC and building a new stadium with a retractable roof that will seat over 100,000. The current stadium is only 11 years old. The Skins owner is trying to keep pace with Jerry Jones and his new toy in Dallas that will host the 20011 Super Bowl. The Bear's stadium only seats 60,000 plus. You could never do that in DC. There would be a riot because the fans would go crazy!
They have a longer waiting list than the Pack? Okay, my argument is conceded. Victory to you. I've got a lot of family in the Baltimore/Annapolis/DC area, so my point of reference is the few times I've been out there watching games with them.

Althought, I don't think the Bears would have any problem filling a 100,000 seat stadium, as that would mean there would be plenty of season tickets that would be affordable to the average fan again. The decision to remodel soldier field meant that most fans were priced out of the stadium.

To Drover, I'd tend to disagree, and note the current apathy towards the team (I struggled to watch games this year) follows a 15 year period of almost constant suck. One can only take 3 yard passes on 3rd and 10 for so many years.

To Lookout Kid, I kid I kid, it's hard to make a packers reference without throwing out some type of lame joke. Although in my defense, I watched the NFC championship in a bar filled with Packer fans who brought thundersticks, that's right thundersticks, to the bar to aid in their obnoxiousness. I thought I could grudgingly root for Favre until I saw men in their late 20's clapping those together. Then I became a Giants fan.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:52 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,783,990 times
^^^ LOL... you must have been at Will's on Racine...

Old 01-28-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
^^^ LOL... you must have been at Will's on Racine...
It was Redmonds on Roscoe/Sheffield. Mental note never to go to Will's on Racine though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or