U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:01 AM

7,244 posts, read 13,140,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Let's take a look at density. DC, Baltimore, Philly, Chicago and Boston are all between the 9,000 - 12,000 persons per square mile range. Chicago does not come nowhere near NYC's density. SF even has a higher density than Chicago. NYC is 25,000 per square mile and Manhattan is double that.

I agree with a lot of what you said above. I mean, some of it is subjective (like the scenery stuff), but most of it is pretty accurate. This bit was a little misleading, though.

First of all, Chicago does NOT have "density at its urban core" like NYC. It may feel New Yorky in spots, but the numbers don't support it. The densest neighborhood in Chicago ( according to this site: Chicago Neightborhoods: Population & Population Density: 1980 to 2000 ) is the Near North with 48,500 people per square mile. All of Manhattan (without even singling out a specific neighborhood) has over 66,000 residents per square mile. There are neighborhoods that FAR exceed that.

Now, that's NYC. DC is far less dense. Chicago has an overall density of around 12,500 a sq mi. DC's is just over 9,000 a sq mi. As far as I know, no neighborhood in DC can compete. I read something about Capitol Hill being among the densest with 35,000 in 2 sq miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 11:05 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,999,503 times
Having been a student in Wash DC for 4 years, and Chicago resident for 5, I would pick Chicago. Here are some random observations

> Transportation - DC metro is nicer, though I preferred the frequency, coverage, AND PRICE of Chicago's EL. I give the edge to Chicago also noting that they have better Taxi coverage.
> Sports - Chicago hands down. Its argued that Redskins have a better draw, which is fine, but football season overall (Colleage and Pro) is better in Chicago.
> Museums - Definetly DC. Free in most cases, plentiful, and in a beautiful setting.
> Parks - For beaches and fun in the sun areas then Chicago. For a combination of open spaces, trails, hills, waterfront views (Georgetown, Potomac), and off-beat nooks and crannies then DC. I took advantage of both places equally.
> Weather - Not a make or break deal for either cities, but I had a slightly easier time getting used to DC (from Grand Rapids, MI), than I did in Chicago (From DC)

Old 01-30-2008, 05:03 PM

14 posts, read 89,502 times
After growing up in Minnesota, spending 4 years at college in DC, having my entire social group be transplants from New England, and wishing that I could just pick up and move to London, I was faced with the same decision.

In the end, I'm in Chicago.

DC is great, it is one of my first loves when it comes to cities. You have to remember, that DC is a commuter city, so unless you and your family are planning on dropping serious change to buy a place in Georgetown, you're likely to be living the Northern Virginia or Bethesda. And people ARE cliquey, especially about one thing: politics. People practically introduce themselves with their name, occupation and party. It's fun for a while, but I knew I couldn't last another election. The entire city tenses up. Yes, DC has the mall and all of the museums along it, but other than that, the greenery that you'd like to enjoy is rather limited - unless you'd like to share your park bench with the bum who is peeing in the bush beside it. In terms of PT, DC is leaps and bounds cleaner, easier to use, cheaper, and reliable, but it's limited. There are only 5 lines, and they don't extend very far. Most people will drive to the outer station, then hope on the Metro. Also, buses are totally unreliable.

Chicago does have it's own monsters to conquer, like last night's sideways wind, and the PT system that is constantly running behind, but the Midwest is a better place to raise kids. It's evident among my friends which people where raised in each part of the country. Midwestern kids have better manners on the whole, and are generally more considerate of others. That isn't the case if you stay out East. There is greenery all along the city, and the cost of living is lower, so you might be able to buy a home within the city limits! Also, as I walk the Chicago streets, I'm hitting pavement, rather than cobblestones, and the sidewalks don't tell me which way to look as I cross the road, but I feel like Chicago is more like London than DC - more architectural variety and more diversity.

Personally, I went with Chicago. I think you should too.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:07 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,942,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthea View Post
Chicago does have it's own monsters to conquer, like last night's sideways wind
Doesnt wind normally blow sideways?

I know what you meant though, just having some fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or