U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Francisco becoming more Influential than Los Angeles?
San Franciso is Becoming more Influential Globally 72 37.89%
Los Angeles is Still more Influential Globally 118 62.11%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2015, 04:08 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,327,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It depends how permanent this tech "bubble" may be....whether the SV is in danger of becoming another Detroit industry-wise in 20-30 years. For now, Hollywood is losing money (due to technology) and the SV is gaining money.
Bay Area NIMBYism will almost certainly stop growth in its tracks, which means it's far more likely LA will solidify itself before it is surpassed. Whatever NIMBY issues LA has, at least it isn't San Francisco.

And seriously, Lol @ a "Game of Thrones" premiere = media shifting to the Bay. Only a huge booster would read anything into that clickbait title.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:19 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,228,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Bay Area NIMBYism will almost certainly stop growth in its tracks, which means it's far more likely LA will solidify itself before it is surpassed. Whatever NIMBY issues LA has, at least it isn't San Francisco.

And seriously, Lol @ a "Game of Thrones" premiere = media shifting to the Bay. Only a huge booster would read anything into that clickbait title.
I like HBO. They moved into Westlake/Macarthur Park when everyone else seems too terrified to.

HBO Writers Moving Into Westlake's Historic Hayworth Theatre - GentrificationWatch - Curbed LA

Old 08-15-2015, 04:51 PM

31,583 posts, read 53,140,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It depends how permanent this tech "bubble" may be....whether the SV is in danger of becoming another Detroit industry-wise in 20-30 years. For now, Hollywood is losing money (due to technology) and the SV is gaining money.
Yes, Hollywood has really lost a lot of ground.

As far as your question about a "bust", certainly in a capitalist, market driven economy, there are ups and downs, but this is not a boom in one industry.

Silicon Valley has now integrated into other industries, such as finance, auto design, telecommunications, media, medical devices, biotech, energy, fashion, etc. to a point that the tech economy within the Bay Area is now very diversified.

Apple is not just a computer maker. They are a music provider, a wireless communications provider, even developing autonomous cars and so forth.

Google is not just the largest search engine in the world, but its also the largest media company in the world, they are the largest wireless communications platform in the world, they develop self driving cars, medical devices, etc.

And so forth.

And now, as demonstrated by articles in the NY Times and LA Times, as well as an industry ranking of media owners, it's confirmed by experts in the industry that the Bay Area is now a major epicenter of the industry the LA boosters thought was safe, MEDIA.

Sorry, but as the LA Times correctly pointed out, media companies must embrace the digital economy to remain relevant, and the Bay Area is the capital of the digital economy.

Honestly, we've only just begun.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:53 PM

31,583 posts, read 53,140,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
I feel bad for people who spend an inordinate amount of time on this, when it's a beautiful day outside.
It's not beautiful, it's scorching hot. I want my damn morning fog and ocean breeze back.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:49 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,506,180 times
Yeah this is much too hot, for me (currently in Santa Cruz).

Old 08-15-2015, 10:04 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,118,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

It's not beautiful, it's scorching hot. I want my damn morning fog and ocean breeze back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Yeah this is much too hot, for me (currently in Santa Cruz).
But the warm summer nights make up for it.

I dunno, I was in the office all day. It was 72 and cool in there. It was 95 outside though here in DTLA.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:51 PM

317 posts, read 269,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsonme View Post
the eve of NYC's collapse spells the dawn of LA's emergence
Fantasies are unhealthy. Then again, it's almost part of the LA culture isn't it?

Old 08-15-2015, 10:59 PM

366 posts, read 274,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
I like HBO. They moved into Westlake/Macarthur Park when everyone else seems too terrified to.

HBO Writers Moving Into Westlake's Historic Hayworth Theatre - GentrificationWatch - Curbed LA
All it says is that a bunch of writers in the region moved there. You make it sound like HBO moved it's entire headquarters there.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:35 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,506,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
But the warm summer nights make up for it.
Unfortunately I don't like nights this warm glad you are enjoying it though

The Giants game tonight had very nice weather though.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:38 PM

135 posts, read 118,900 times
I used to love San Francisco.

Then I started coming here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.