Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Francisco becoming more Influential than Los Angeles?
San Franciso is Becoming more Influential Globally 72 37.89%
Los Angeles is Still more Influential Globally 118 62.11%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 02:27 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,437,252 times

Advertisements

Nope. Just going off your absurdity.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:36 PM

414 posts, read 508,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Not only do we lead the west, we OWN the west.
Bahahaha. You are a complete fool.

Economy by GDP
Bay Area: 535 billion (SF metro is only 388B, less than half of LA)
LA: 855 billion
West Coast: 4+ trillion

You comment is just too funny. The bay area is definitely 2nd fiddle to LA when it comes to economic power. Neither metro "owns" the West. Sorry, but cattle drivers in Idaho couldn't give two s**ts about Uber and iphones. Just because SF people obsess over the latest apps doesn't mean the rest of us care.

Population
Bay Area population is HALF that of LA. LA also has more significant sizes of immigrant/ethnic communities simply because of its size.

Culture
Sorry but Hollywood is the symbol of cultural globalization and it has been since the 1930s. 95% of people in developing countries have no connection to the Bay Area and its tech. The ONLY glimpse of American culture, film, lifestyle, etc. is through Hollywood productions or affordable products like Coca-Cola.

Travel
LA trumps the Bay Area in international travel and LAXis the unmatched center for international travel from the West Coast.

Diversity
The ethnic/foreign communities of LA far outnumber those of the bay area. I wouldn't be surprised if even the Chinese community of LA is larger... LA continues to be the central point for new immigrants to the US, the true sign of an internationally known city.

The only thing that the Bay Area leads is technology and Northern California.

Quote:
It's not El Niño that's changing your weather, actually the rest of you are feeling the effects of being in the Bay Area's shadow.
I'm sorry, but San Diego has never been in the "shadow" of San Francisco. Quite ironically, it's the opposite because we have great weather and you have clouds.

I am unapologetically proud to be born and raised in SD. While I realize that it's not a world-class city, I don't particularly care. I've lived in Hong Kong, Shanghai, New York, and DC. They are all more interesting, diverse, and internationally significant than SF.

SF can have its tech economy. I like San Diego and I like the people. Crime is very low, weather is great, traffic is the best out of all major metros, we don't have race issues, the outdoor activities here are unlimited, housing is cheaper than SF, and we have REAL Mexican food. We have booming biotech, beer, and diversity.

If anything, SF should be striving to be more like us. Reinventing the east coast city on a hilly peninsula doesn't make your city special. It has a lot of problems. Your arrogance being one of them.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:48 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
lol what are you talking about? Obviously not, hence the list..

That list criteria is a pretty bad way of gauging the income levels of an area anyway.

never said it was a gauge of income just was urpised that no SF areas made the list on continuity given the wealth of SF, but alo that the disparity in zips is by no mean isolated to SF in fact would argue since it has higher overall wealth would have expected it to show up relative to some others and was the point

Old 10-25-2015, 04:22 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianpieohmy View Post
Bahahaha. You are a complete fool.
Haha
Quote:
You comment is just too funny. The bay area is definitely 2nd fiddle to LA when it comes to economic power. Neither metro "owns" the West. Sorry, but cattle drivers in Idaho couldn't give two s**ts about Uber and iphones. Just because SF people obsess over the latest apps doesn't mean the rest of us care.
The entire world obsesses hence Apple is the most valuable company in the world. Hello?

lol

Quote:
Population
Bay Area population is HALF that of LA. LA also has more significant sizes of immigrant/ethnic communities simply because of its size.
Versus the Bay Area, LA seems to be inflated by several million people who are more a drain than a contributor to the economy, so really thank God we arent infested with so many losers.

Quote:
Culture
Sorry but Hollywood is the symbol of cultural globalization and it has been since the 1930s. 95% of people in developing countries have no connection to the Bay Area and its tech. The ONLY glimpse of American culture, film, lifestyle, etc. is through Hollywood productions or affordable products like Coca-Cola.
I dont care if they know they have a connection or not, who cares? But Hollywood is losing out to the Bay Area in the direct influence it has in people's lives. 1 billion people use Facebook, 1 billion use Youtube, yet more billions use Google, Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin, Craigslist, Wikipedia, etc and most of the 3 billion smart phones being used in the world run on either iOS or Android.

The Bay Area has redefined the way human beings live and communicate and you think Khloe and Lamar is more important?

bwahahaha

Quote:
Travel
LA trumps the Bay Area in international travel and LAXis the unmatched center for international travel from the West Coast.
Yes LA has more tourists.

But SF has been getting the most important visitors by far:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Magazine
Modi and Jinping are far from the only world leaders to travel to Silicon Valley over the years. In my time here, I’ve met leaders from France, Ireland, the Philippines, Singapore and many more. Their interest reflects the growing power of Silicon Valley companies and the area’s financial backers, with whom leaders want stronger ties in hopes of attracting investments and influence.

World leaders are visiting Silicon Valley for another reason, too: To send a message to their own people, to say “I understand technology is important and can lead to a better way of life.” A March report by Accenture, for instance, found that increased use of technology could add $1.36 trillion to the world’s biggest economies by 2020. The study is based on the Accenture Digital Density Index, a tool that helps companies make better strategic investments based on granular measures of digital performance...
Why World Leaders Need Silicon Valley

Quote:
Diversity
The ethnic/foreign communities of LA far outnumber those of the bay area. I wouldn't be surprised if even the Chinese community of LA is larger... LA continues to be the central point for new immigrants to the US, the true sign of an internationally known city.
Well, since the Bay Area is more racially diverse, more integrated and also has a high rate of international immigration, its safe to say your statement is bs. Nice try tho.

Quote:
The only thing that the Bay Area leads is technology and Northern California.
Also, $5 Trillion in Investment Capital from around the world. Ten times more than Southern California and more than anywhere except New York.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but San Diego has never been in the "shadow" of San Francisco.
Haha San Diego is cute, but not powerful enough to be a part of this conversation so yeah...

Last edited by 18Montclair; 10-25-2015 at 04:58 PM..

Old 10-25-2015, 04:31 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,109,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
never said it was a gauge of income just was urpised that no SF areas made the list on continuity given the wealth of SF, but alo that the disparity in zips is by no mean isolated to SF in fact would argue since it has higher overall wealth would have expected it to show up relative to some others and was the point
Yes you've said the same thing a few times now but it appears you still don't understand the list.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:06 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Jesus Christ how many times does this topic need to be discussed?? LA is still more globally influential today than SF. SF is catching up, but its economy is too reliant on tech and that could pose a problem if companies decide to relocate or build large branches in cheaper, well-educated metros or if the tech industry collapses again. Is it possible for SF to pass LA? Yes. Is it likely? No. End thread. Monty go home because you're always the only one that doesn't understand this concept.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:09 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,611 times
What a dumb thread.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:19 PM

Why one in four Silicon Valley homebuyers wants to leave

https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/lyf...q-to-nashville

Old 10-25-2015, 05:29 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
SF is becoming more important than Earth. The GDP per capita trumps anything else on Earth. And Earth is nothing without Tech. SF also has better weather than anywhere on Earth. SF is more diverse than Earth. Earth has way too many poor people. SF is like super rich. Anyone who doesn't agree that SF is the most important city this side of planet Xenon X1is just too poor to know any better. They Need To Spend some time at Stanford or anyone of the dozens of university here. All of our universities are THE best university in the universe. We are that awesome.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
SF is becoming more important than Earth. The GDP per capita trumps anything else on Earth. And Earth is nothing without Tech. SF also has better weather than anywhere on Earth. SF is more diverse than Earth. Earth has way too many poor people. SF is like super rich. Anyone who doesn't agree that SF is the most important city this side of planet Xenon X1is just too poor to know any better. They Need To Spend some time at Stanford or anyone of the dozens of university here. All of our universities are THE best university in the universe. We are that awesome.
This. This is exactly how SF boosters sound on a daily basis and exactly how the citizens on the ground speak. I've never heard people in a city walk around so much saying how much they love their city. In LA, NYC, Chicago, SD, pretty much every other city in the world, people walk around talking about normal stuff. I can't tell you how often I heard people walking around SF reminding their SF friends how perfect SF is. Even on social media, NYC friends just check themselves in somewhere, post a picture, show what they're doing. LA friends post a picture of the beach or show what good restaurant they went to. SF friends have to say how perfect the city is in every post. Best city, best sunset, best food, best anything. If you have to tell people how great you are, you're not that great. That's how that works. If you WERE that great, everyone would know it.

LA>SF globally for the long foreseeable future. Get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City