Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2018, 07:45 PM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Lexington Mass, it would put me close to my native hometown Salem, MA. Lexington wouldn't be my first pick (too much traffic in that area I-95/128 belt), but it's a nice affluent suburb of Boston with some remarkable Revolutionary War history. I don't think I could live in Missouri, can't place where in the state Lexington is without googling.

Rochester, NY vs Burlington, VT
Lexington, Mo., is the county seat of Lafayette County, the county to the east of Jackson County (Kansas City, Independence) and part of the Kansas City MSA. One reason I chose it besides the name parallel is that it too was the site of a battle - in this case, during the Civil War. The (First) Battle of Lexington took place in the fall of 1861 when Union troops attempted to take control of the town from the pro-Confederate Missouri State Guard. The Union forces lost, ensuring Confederate control of the western Missouri River valley in the state for a while.

The Lafayette County Court House is the oldest still in use in the state. A cannonball from the battle is embedded in one of the columns holding up the portico over its main entrance.

Rochester, N.Y., or Burlington, Vt.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 11:15 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Lexington, Mo., is the county seat of Lafayette County, the county to the east of Jackson County (Kansas City, Independence) and part of the Kansas City MSA. One reason I chose it besides the name parallel is that it too was the site of a battle - in this case, during the Civil War. The (First) Battle of Lexington took place in the fall of 1861 when Union troops attempted to take control of the town from the pro-Confederate Missouri State Guard. The Union forces lost, ensuring Confederate control of the western Missouri River valley in the state for a while.

The Lafayette County Court House is the oldest still in use in the state. A cannonball from the battle is embedded in one of the columns holding up the portico over its main entrance.

Rochester, N.Y., or Burlington, Vt.?
Burlington, VT

A close call. Burlington offers a lot for a city with a population of just 43,000. Like the setting on Lake Champlain and nearby scenery. It is a walkable town, has Church Street Marketplace downtown, and is just 95 miles to Montreal. Has less traffic and crime than Rochester. Is slightly closer to NYC than Rochester. Closer to the Atlantic coast, too. Those factors would make it worthwhile to put up with the slight inconvenience of being further from a major airport.

Denver, CO or Pittsburgh, PA?

Last edited by chessgeek; 07-30-2018 at 11:31 PM..

Old 07-30-2018, 11:45 PM

9,682 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Burlington, VT

A close call. Burlington offers a lot for a city with a population of just 43,000. Like the setting on Lake Champlain and nearby scenery. It is a walkable town, has Church Street Marketplace downtown, and is just 95 miles to Montreal. Has less traffic and crime than Rochester. Is slightly closer to NYC than Rochester. Closer to the Atlantic coast, too. Those factors would make it worthwhile to put up with the slight inconvenience of being further from a major airport.

Denver, CO or Pittsburgh, PA?
Denver because it is a nicer city. Denver has a better vibe.

Nashville, TN or Memphis, TN?

Old 07-31-2018, 07:43 AM

655 posts, read 2,183,355 times
Nashville. It's a fun town, and has a lot going for it right now.

Philadelphia or Phoenix?

Old 07-31-2018, 07:46 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
Nashville. It's a fun town, and has a lot going for it right now.

Philadelphia or Phoenix?
Philadelphia. I've never been but I'm quite intrigued. It's more urban, it's connected to the Bos-Wash, it's closer to the coast, has better hockey, and WAY better weather IMHO.

Santa Fe, NM or Grand Junction, CO?

Old 07-31-2018, 09:47 AM

Santa Fe. Give me some red/green!

Austin or Denver?

Old 07-31-2018, 01:02 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Austin cuz its in Texas and its warmer

El Paso,Texas or Albuquerque,New Mexico?

Old 07-31-2018, 05:51 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Austin cuz its in Texas and its warmer

El Paso,Texas or Albuquerque,New Mexico?
Albuquerque, NM

At least I know someone there. Don't know anyone in El Paso. Santa Fe and Taos are close for a day trip. ABQ is also closer to the Grand Canyon, southern Utah national parks and Las Vegas. While still hot, I think the summer days are usually 5-10 degrees cooler, too. ABQ, with its high elevation, also gets a little snow in winter.

Las Cruces, NM or Midland, TX?

Last edited by chessgeek; 07-31-2018 at 06:13 PM..

Old 07-31-2018, 06:05 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Albuquerque, NM

At least I know someone there. Don't know anyone in El Paso. Santa Fe is close for a day trip. Albuquerque is also closer to the Grand Canyon, southern Utah national parks and Las Vegas. While still hot, I think the summers are usually 5-10 degrees cooler, too.

Las Cruces, NM or Midland, TX?
Midland, Texas cuz i live here and its close to family and no state tax and the oil industry.

Phoenix,Arizona or St.Paul,Minnesota?

Old 07-31-2018, 06:11 PM

Phoenix. It's larger and more diverse. Though, if you'd said Minneapolis, I may have answered differently.

Hartford, CT or Bridgeport, CT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City