U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2018, 10:39 AM

6,193 posts, read 6,850,935 times

Advertisements

lol since you both answered me, I'll go ahead and answer you both regarding: Chicago vs Boston vs Philadelphia

Chicago. I think all things considered, all three have enough pros to make this a really tight consideration for my family. But we own a condo in Chicago and I used to live there so that tips the scales in its favor.

Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 10:55 AM

4,733 posts, read 2,289,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
lol since you both answered me, I'll go ahead and answer you both regarding: Chicago vs Boston vs Philadelphia

Chicago. I think all things considered, all three have enough pros to make this a really tight consideration for my family. But we own a condo in Chicago and I used to live there so that tips the scales in its favor.

Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia?
I should probably recuse myself from this one, but since I believe I've answered a "St. Louis vs. Kansas City" comparison, I'll weigh in here too.

Pittsburgh is the second most spectacularly situated city, topographically speaking, in the United States, just behind San Francisco. And the core city has made an impressive comeback since the disappearance of the steel industry.

But its region hasn't - it remains severely depressed, and people continue to leave it. Sheesh, they've even been leaving Pittsburgh itself, or at least Allegheny County, over the last four years.

Not to mention that its downtown isn't as lively after dark as Philadelphia's is.

Pittsburgh has the stronger tech economy, but the Philadelphia region remains Pennsylvania's economic engine. The quality of life here is high, the cost of living reasonable by East Coast standards, and you can be in New York or Washington in under two hours if you need to be.

Not that I feel I need to be in either of those cities, though I enjoy visiting them.

So: Philadelphia by a mile - or 300.

Columbia, Mo., or Columbia, S.C.?

Old 11-06-2018, 06:08 PM

3,232 posts, read 1,410,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I should probably recuse myself from this one, but since I believe I've answered a "St. Louis vs. Kansas City" comparison, I'll weigh in here too.

Pittsburgh is the second most spectacularly situated city, topographically speaking, in the United States, just behind San Francisco. And the core city has made an impressive comeback since the disappearance of the steel industry.

But its region hasn't - it remains severely depressed, and people continue to leave it. Sheesh, they've even been leaving Pittsburgh itself, or at least Allegheny County, over the last four years.

Not to mention that its downtown isn't as lively after dark as Philadelphia's is.

Pittsburgh has the stronger tech economy, but the Philadelphia region remains Pennsylvania's economic engine. The quality of life here is high, the cost of living reasonable by East Coast standards, and you can be in New York or Washington in under two hours if you need to be.

Not that I feel I need to be in either of those cities, though I enjoy visiting them.

So: Philadelphia by a mile - or 300.

Columbia, Mo., or Columbia, S.C.?
Columbia, SC. IMO, it's an underrated smaller metro. Has a surprising amount to do there. Love its proximity to Charlotte, Charleston, and Atlanta. Columbia, MO is a nice place, but not to the degree of Columbia, SC.

Syracuse, NY or Burlington, VT?

Old 11-06-2018, 06:11 PM

9,353 posts, read 18,128,323 times
Burlington, VT because I'm moving there in four months

Greenville, SC or Charlottesville, VA?

Old 11-06-2018, 06:16 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,946,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Burlington, VT because I'm moving there in four months

Greenville, SC or Charlottesville, VA?
Greenville, SC for sure. A large city with more to offer.

Murfreesboro, TN or Cary, NC?

Old 11-06-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Greenville, SC for sure. A large city with more to offer.

Murfreesboro, TN or Cary, NC?
Murfreesboro. I prefer the Nashville area to the Raleigh/Durham area. More to do overall.

Omaha, NE or Madison, WI?

Old 11-07-2018, 10:50 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,362,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Murfreesboro. I prefer the Nashville area to the Raleigh/Durham area. More to do overall.

Omaha, NE or Madison, WI?
Madison. And it's not even close.

Redondo Beach, CA or Alexandria, VA?

Old 11-07-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Madison. And it's not even close.

Redondo Beach, CA or Alexandria, VA?
Oh my goodness! That's a tough one. They're both expensive, so that cancels that out. I love the DC are and 4-season climates. But I love the beach and the many recreational assets of the LA area. I'll go with Redondo Beach.

Colorado Springs, CO or Ft. Collins, CO?

Old 11-07-2018, 11:54 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,362,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Oh my goodness! That's a tough one. They're both expensive, so that cancels that out. I love the DC are and 4-season climates. But I love the beach and the many recreational assets of the LA area. I'll go with Redondo Beach.

Colorado Springs, CO or Ft. Collins, CO?
I have an aunt in Redondo Beach an uncle in Alexandria .

I actually purposed this match up a few days ago. I think I'll go with Colorado Springs. I've never been and there are some things that are off-putting to me but I certainly wasn't impressed with my visit to Fort Collins.

Fort Lauderdale or Virginia Beach?

Old 11-07-2018, 07:47 PM

631 posts, read 1,963,453 times
Fort Lauderdale! I love it down there. The weather, the diversity, the food -- all of it wins over VB, handily!

Ann Arbor, MI or Indianapolis, IN?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or