U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2019, 12:18 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,519,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASJackson814 View Post
Ottumwa, IA. Based on the photos I saw, the town looks nicer. Plus it's population is a bit larger.

Lakeport, CA or Rosendale, NY?
Rosendale. I prefer that part of NY to NoCA.

Rochester, MN or Santa Rosa, CA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 02:45 AM

156 posts, read 49,916 times
Santa Rosa, CA by a landslide. Hour away from the Bay Area and sits in some of the most beautiful scenery in the states!

Las Vegas, NV or Miami, FL?

Old 06-22-2019, 04:03 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,519,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Santa Rosa, CA by a landslide. Hour away from the Bay Area and sits in some of the most beautiful scenery in the states!

Las Vegas, NV or Miami, FL?
Miami. More attractive area. I prefer a tropical ocean climate to a desert climate.

Boston, MA or Portland, OR?

Old 06-22-2019, 04:28 AM

4,950 posts, read 2,406,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Miami. More attractive area. I prefer a tropical ocean climate to a desert climate.

Boston, MA or Portland, OR?
For a moment there, I thought you had written Portland, ME, and would have picked the smaller New England metropolis, which punches well above its weight. But you're referring to the bigger Portland (which takes its name from the smaller one, btw: the people who settled it came from New England, and the area reminded them of that part of the Maine coast), so in that case, Boston.

Seattle or San Francisco?

(Aside: I was on a Broad Street Line subway car once that was wrapped in ads urging riders to visit Seattle. Just before I got off, I heard a father tell his son, who had asked him what the ads were about, "They want people from Philadelphia to visit Seattle. I don't think that would be good for Seattle.")

Old 06-22-2019, 06:47 AM

633 posts, read 253,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
For a moment there, I thought you had written Portland, ME, and would have picked the smaller New England metropolis, which punches well above its weight. But you're referring to the bigger Portland (which takes its name from the smaller one, btw: the people who settled it came from New England, and the area reminded them of that part of the Maine coast), so in that case, Boston.

Seattle or San Francisco?

(Aside: I was on a Broad Street Line subway car once that was wrapped in ads urging riders to visit Seattle. Just before I got off, I heard a father tell his son, who had asked him what the ads were about, "They want people from Philadelphia to visit Seattle. I don't think that would be good for Seattle.")
Going into this, I thought I was going to say San Francisco since I have experience there & I really like it. But after further thought and research, I'll say Seattle. Seattle because of it's lower cost of living, can no income tax, higher African American percentage (even though in the Bay Area nearby Oakland is better at this, yes I looked up the percentages), higher job growth, percentage of people who are young adults(I searched this), summer weather(SF is particularly a cool/colder city in the summertime).

Even though SF has it's advantages (More known tech industry, better winter weather, less rain, higher Hispanic & Asian population, history, transit, things do do), Seattle still does well in most of these categories and I just can't justify San Francisco's ridiculous cost of living. I'd still rather visit SF though.

Boston, MA or Washington, DC?

Old 06-22-2019, 07:52 AM
mlb

3,178 posts, read 2,853,807 times
Seattle's COL is just as ridiculous.

You have to choose cities/towns miles from the core of large cities - including Boston or DC to lower costs.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:02 AM

9,423 posts, read 18,320,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASJackson814 View Post
Going into this, I thought I was going to say San Francisco since I have experience there & I really like it. But after further thought and research, I'll say Seattle. Seattle because of it's lower cost of living, can no income tax, higher African American percentage (even though in the Bay Area nearby Oakland is better at this, yes I looked up the percentages), higher job growth, percentage of people who are young adults(I searched this), summer weather(SF is particularly a cool/colder city in the summertime).

Even though SF has it's advantages (More known tech industry, better winter weather, less rain, higher Hispanic & Asian population, history, transit, things do do), Seattle still does well in most of these categories and I just can't justify San Francisco's ridiculous cost of living. I'd still rather visit SF though.

Boston, MA or Washington, DC?
Boston, the area is where I'm originally from so it feels more like home, but it also innately has more of a hometown vibe to it than the transient nature of DC.

Annapolis, MD or Newport, RI?

Old 06-22-2019, 10:47 AM

769 posts, read 473,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Boston, the area is where I'm originally from so it feels more like home, but it also innately has more of a hometown vibe to it than the transient nature of DC.

Annapolis, MD or Newport, RI?
Probably Newport, RI. It just sounds a little more relaxed. Never been to either city but I think I'd prefer Boston over DC

Huntington, WV vs. Sandusky, OH

Old 06-22-2019, 03:31 PM

9,423 posts, read 18,320,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
Probably Newport, RI. It just sounds a little more relaxed. Never been to either city but I think I'd prefer Boston over DC

Huntington, WV vs. Sandusky, OH
Sandusky, if only because I love roller coasters and the Lake Erie shoreline looks attractive.

Marblehead, MA or Wellfleet, MA?

Old 06-22-2019, 03:36 PM

769 posts, read 473,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Sandusky, if only because I love roller coasters and the Lake Erie shoreline looks attractive.

Marblehead, MA or Wellfleet, MA?
Good call, Cedar Point is awesome.

Marblehead for sure. Wellfleet is way out there.

Winder, GA vs. Monticello, UT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or