Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2015, 10:31 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,151,102 times

Advertisements

Portland. Richmond seems pretty cool, nice downtown and hipster vibe, but Portland would at least allow for carless living.

Portland, OR or Portland, ME?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 10:50 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,204,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Portland. Richmond seems pretty cool, nice downtown and hipster vibe, but Portland would at least allow for carless living.

I think one would be able to go without a car at least in Richmond's core neighborhoods such as The Fan, Jackson Ward, Carytown, Museum District, Downtown, etc.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:05 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I think one would be able to go without a car at least in Richmond's core neighborhoods such as The Fan, Jackson Ward, Carytown, Museum District, Downtown, etc.
I could probably survive in those parts of Richmond without a car, but I think I'd really want to have one there. It's not like a big city where owning a car is a hassle and living car-free is easier than having one.

Quote:

In my 30s (now), Portland, Ore. When I retire, Portland, Me.

Baton Rouge, La. or Des Moines, Ia.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:12 PM

44 posts, read 192,601 times
Quote:

Portland, Oregon. It is much larger, more diverse and the winters are a lot more easy to take than in Maine. Don't get me wrong, Portland, ME is nice.. it's a friendly and touristy waterfront haven with a lot of restaurants and coffee shops. Reminds me of a bed & breakfast town in New England. But Portland, OR is a better place to live, at least IMO.

Tampa or Raleigh?

Old 08-08-2015, 11:20 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,426,906 times
Tampa Bay; young population, lots of jobs, beach life

San Antonio or Nashville?

Old 08-08-2015, 11:24 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,692,937 times
San Antonio. Just a fun/underrated city

San Diego or Seattle?

Old 08-09-2015, 12:10 AM

44 posts, read 192,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Agreed. The neighborhoods within the city core are very walkable and the people who live there regularly use city transportation to get around, especially for those who work in downtown. Richmond often gets overlooked but the city is very dense, hip, diverse and walkable. There are blocks of row houses that extend from Carytown, The Fan District into the industrial areas in the east side. Like Portland or Austin, Richmond most definitely has its fair share of hipsters and a yuppy transient population. It is truly an underrated city.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:59 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,107,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Baton Rouge, La. or Des Moines, Ia.
Since you were ignored :

Baton Rouge, I don't know much about either other than they are state capitals but LA interests me more than IA. I haven't a clue which one I would personally prefer to live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
San Diego or Seattle?
Oooh tough one, I love both and would be happy living in either but I'll go with Seattle. I have a lot of experience with both but my sister lived in Seattle for ~10 years so I probably have more practical experience there. Plus when I was younger Seattle was probably my second favorite city.

Sacramento, CA or Austin, TX?

Old 08-09-2015, 06:41 AM

183 posts, read 249,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post

Sacramento, CA or Austin, TX?
Austin. A lot of positive vibe and economic momentum. One of the most recession-proof cities in the U.S.

Washington DC or Boston?

Old 08-09-2015, 07:19 AM

3,882 posts, read 4,533,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
Austin. A lot of positive vibe and economic momentum. One of the most recession-proof cities in the U.S.

Washington DC or Boston?
Boston... love the history and look of the city

Houston or Milwaukee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City