Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Washignton DC America's Real Second City
Washington DC is America's New Second City 20 14.39%
DC will surpass Chicago In Importance but not L.A 24 17.27%
DC will surpass L.A in Importance but not Chicago 2 1.44%
No Way! DC will not pass Neither LA or Chicago 93 66.91%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 05:29 PM

574 posts, read 688,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
I can see a good argument for the Bay Area being our nation's 2nd city, actually more arguments for it than against it.
I like how you're raveling the "bay area" into one "city", but if you do combine it all it can go toe to toe with with Chicago and DC CSAs. I don't think either city/MSA/CSA can compete with LA, just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
If anything, this should be a poll between SF, DC, and Chicago. LA is too high above all three.
I agree

Old 08-11-2015, 05:40 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Wow, I like DC and all but come on! Chicago will be America's third city for a long time and LA will be the 2nd city our entire lifetime.

DC should go play in the park with Houston where it belongs.
Definitely not! First of all, in the eyes of most regular people and think tanks, Houston is in the same arena as Atlanta, Philly, Miami, and debatable Boston and Seattle and Dallas. DC is a clearly a stronger city pound for pound than any of these cities. Most regular people and scholars who study this type of thing are in clear agreement. Is Houston even definitively ahead of Boston or Atlanta?

Second of all, while I agree that Chicago is still the third city currently, I do not agree that it will be so for a "long time". It is already slipping, and within the next decade to 15 years, barring some unforeseen momentum, it will fall behind either SF, DC, or both. DC in its current state is DEFINITELY comparable to Chicago, as is SF---Chicago is not so far ahead of either that it isn't a rational debate. 10-15 years, Washington is growing into a level of notoriety that will surpass Chi. 10-15 years...

The DC hate on this site is real! Why do y'all hate The District so much? Without a doubt a Top 5 city, one of the most unique cities in this nation, one of the most powerful cities in the world, and CvC hates it with a passion...

Old 08-11-2015, 05:42 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkup View Post
DC will decline with slower growth, if not an actual decline, in federal spending in the coming years

If any cities can challenge LA/Chicago, it's SF/Houston
Keep dreaming, decline?? Ha!

Old 08-11-2015, 05:45 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
I like how you're raveling the "bay area" into one "city", but if you do combine it all it can go toe to toe with with Chicago and DC CSAs.
What the heck are you talking about? You do realize that the Bay Area CSA has 1-1.3 Million LESS PEOPLE THEN EITHER THE DC OR CHICAGO CSA AND THE BAY AREA STILL HAS A LARGER GDP THAN EITHER OF THEM

Toe to toe my eye. Both of them can sit down and st.fu

Old 08-11-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
D.c isn't on Chicago level to be honest, Outside of the government center what do people really think about D c ? Any iconic buildings or landmarks outside the important Government centers or Where Dr king Marched ?

A city has to have at least a million population or more to compete with Chicago.
No but DC metro is on par if not greater than Chicago metro as far as packing a punch for its weight.

And I'm sorry what iconic buildings should we be aware of in Chicago outside of the loop?

Last edited by the resident09; 08-11-2015 at 05:55 PM..

Old 08-11-2015, 05:50 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
I agree with the people who say none of these cities are comparable to LA. LA will be #2 for a long time. This "Bash on LA"month from mostly SF sympathizers is reaching unsympathetic proportions....

Also, I understand that SF is the center of the larger Bay Area region, over 8 million people. However, is Bay Area and San Francisco really interchangeable as its used on here?

@the resident, man, even DC CITY can compete or is arguably greater than Chicago in terms of urban amenities and quality of life. People are yet to show me how Chicago, whether City or Metro, is so far ahead of Washington City or Metro. By what metric?

Old 08-11-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
What the heck are you talking about? You do realize that the Bay Area CSA has 1-1.3 Million LESS PEOPLE THEN EITHER THE DC OR CHICAGO CSA AND THE BAY AREA STILL HAS A LARGER GDP THAN EITHER OF THEM

Toe to toe my eye. Both of them can sit down and st.fu
San Francisco posters always running to grab a CSA stats. Is CSA even the most relevant level to measure cities and their true economic sizes?

Old 08-11-2015, 05:56 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,404,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I agree with the people who say none of these cities are comparable to LA. LA will be #2 for a long time. This "Bash on LA"month from mostly SF sympathizers is reaching unsympathetic proportions....

Also, I understand that SF is the center of the larger Bay Area region, over 8 million people. However, is Bay Area and San Francisco really interchangeable as its used on here?
Why wouldn't it be when the area is continuous, same media, commute patterns, and takes up less space than the Chicago MSA with higher overall density?

Old 08-11-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
@the resident, man, even DC CITY can compete or is arguably greater than Chicago in terms of urban amenities and quality of life. People are yet to show me how Chicago, whether City or Metro, is so far ahead of Washington City or Metro. By what metric?
Exactly other than actual size, DC has already passed Chicago on a lot of fronts. Now Chicago still remains a titan as a financial center in that regard will stay 2nd to NY. The potential of Washington DC is much greater though. The little white elephant in the room needs to be stated here...Don't let DC become a state or come close to gaining statehood, because then all bets are off. The city would be forced to create even more private industry to sustain itself, which is a good thing. The city would probably pass Chicago and LA if that happens. The federal government is actually holding the city back and the city is STILL making strides in private industry and cementing itself amongst the elites. If the government would allow statehood to DC it would even further ramp up the private sector and allow it to even more so become a business hub beyond government, ON TOP of being the center of government. The moment they let the chains off, DC (City Proper) will run pass everyone but NY.

The federal government has frozen its footprint. This is a good thing for D.C.'s economy. - Washington Business Journal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City