U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Washignton DC America's Real Second City
Washington DC is America's New Second City 19 13.87%
DC will surpass Chicago In Importance but not L.A 24 17.52%
DC will surpass L.A in Importance but not Chicago 2 1.46%
No Way! DC will not pass Neither LA or Chicago 92 67.15%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 06:08 PM

3,509 posts, read 2,951,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I agree with the people who say none of these cities are comparable to LA. LA will be #2 for a long time. This "Bash on LA"month from mostly SF sympathizers is reaching unsympathetic proportions....

Also, I understand that SF is the center of the larger Bay Area region, over 8 million people. However, is Bay Area and San Francisco really interchangeable as its used on here?
Supposedly, despite the fact that they literally have sports teams that play against each other, competing municipalities with different agendas, and cities with strong identities. While I don't doubt the Bay's overall interconnectivity as one region, I don't think it's as buddy buddy as they make it seem.

Also agree with previous posters that it's randomly now bash L.A. month. Guess Chicago is now old hat. Who's next? I nominate Boston. You guys aren't building like NYC/Toronto, innovating like SF, and have lost cultural influence with Ted 2's failure and Brady's suspension. Lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 06:08 PM

1,078 posts, read 957,102 times
^^^lol

Old 08-11-2015, 06:38 PM

32,259 posts, read 54,960,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
San Francisco posters always running to grab a CSA stats.
So what?

CSA is the largest city-level statistical area.

According to the Office of Management and Budget:
Combined Statistical Areas can be characterized as representing larger regions that reflect broader social and economic interactions, such as wholesaling, commodity distribution, and weekend recreation activities, and are likely to be of considerable interest to regional authorities and the private sector.

It's not some nefarious scheme.

The OMB goes on to say:
A Combined Statistical Area may comprise two or more Metropolitan Statistical Areas, a Metropolitan Statistical Area and a Micropolitan Statistical Area, two or more Micropolitan Statistical Areas, or multiple Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas that have social and economic ties as measured by commuting, but at lower levels than are found among counties within Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:06 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,451,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I agree with the people who say none of these cities are comparable to LA. LA will be #2 for a long time. This "Bash on LA"month from mostly SF sympathizers is reaching unsympathetic proportions....

Also, I understand that SF is the center of the larger Bay Area region, over 8 million people. However, is Bay Area and San Francisco really interchangeable as its used on here?

@the resident, man, even DC CITY can compete or is arguably greater than Chicago in terms of urban amenities and quality of life. People are yet to show me how Chicago, whether City or Metro, is so far ahead of Washington City or Metro. By what metric?
By this metric⤵......I think this picture alone of much of it truly Urban amenities and Urban housing that would keep Chicago well ahead.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:38 PM

553 posts, read 479,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
So what?

CSA is the largest city-level statistical area.

According to the Office of Management and Budget:
Combined Statistical Areas can be characterized as representing larger regions that reflect broader social and economic interactions, such as wholesaling, commodity distribution, and weekend recreation activities, and are likely to be of considerable interest to regional authorities and the private sector.

It's not some nefarious scheme.

The OMB goes on to say:
A Combined Statistical Area may comprise two or more Metropolitan Statistical Areas, a Metropolitan Statistical Area and a Micropolitan Statistical Area, two or more Micropolitan Statistical Areas, or multiple Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas that have social and economic ties as measured by commuting, but at lower levels than are found among counties within Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas.
That's stating the obvious reasons. Its still a broader measurement than the MSA, which I feel is more accurate and the OMB even stated its the standard. I get that its the only way to make San Francisco look good and you always make good points, but you always seem to lean on CSA.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:58 PM

32,259 posts, read 54,960,967 times
DC shrinks a bit when you subtract the taxpayer supported part of their economy.

Private Industry GDP, 2013
New York CSA $1.524 Trillion
Los Angeles CSA $893.456 Billion
San Francisco CSA $606.682 Billion
Chicago CSA $544.679 Billion
Washington DC CSA $512.909 Billion
Houston CSA $487.714 Billion
Boston CSA $456.547 Billion
Dallas CSA $419.167 Billion
Philadephia CSA $386.328 Billion
Atlanta CSA $293.038 Billion
Seattle CSA $269.975 Billion
Miami CSA $266.338 Billion
Detroit CSA $236.439 Billion
Phoenix MSA $188.581 Billion

Old 08-12-2015, 08:29 PM

Location: San Francisco/East Bay and Los Angeles, formerly DC and Boston
2,133 posts, read 3,416,764 times
DC lacks innovation in spite of high levels of education.

The HQ to 1/4 of the market valuation of all U.S. stocks, SF is the 2nd most important region now.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:28 PM

411 posts, read 608,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
DC lacks innovation in spite of high levels of education.

The HQ to 1/4 of the market valuation of all U.S. stocks, SF is the 2nd most important region now.
The "high levels of education" consists of a lot of BAs and MAs in the humanities and social sciences, aiming to go into gov't, think tanks, gov't consulting, etc.; I don't expect a ton of technological innovation from them

SF/SV is the inverse; a lot of STEMs, including PhDs in engineering and computer science

Old 08-14-2015, 09:29 AM

11,660 posts, read 8,255,086 times
Just so's ya know, Chicago is called the Second City because the first one burned down in 1871.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:31 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,377,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Just so's ya know, Chicago is called the Second City because the first one burned down in 1871.
Yup. And it's called the "Windy City" due to gabby politicians - it's average in terms of wind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or