Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Washignton DC America's Real Second City
Washington DC is America's New Second City 20 14.39%
DC will surpass Chicago In Importance but not L.A 24 17.27%
DC will surpass L.A in Importance but not Chicago 2 1.44%
No Way! DC will not pass Neither LA or Chicago 93 66.91%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 01:35 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,653,330 times

Advertisements

The C-D obsession with L.A continues lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 01:38 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,581,321 times
Would anyone really want that? I thought this country was supposed to be decentralized so that the capital WON'T be the most important American city where everything happened.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:32 PM

1,707 posts, read 1,841,633 times
A Couple of Articles

10 Reasons Washington, D.C. Is America's New Second City*|*Erin Ruberry

Move Over, Chicago, D.C. Is America's Second City Now (Or Something): DCist

The Great Reordering of the Urban Hierarchy
http://www.newgeography.com/content/...rban-hierarchy

Old 08-11-2015, 02:55 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,631,261 times
From HuffPost DC and the DCist. Sounds legit.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:03 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,653,330 times
D.c isn't on Chicago level to be honest, Outside of the government center what do people really think about D c ? Any iconic buildings or landmarks outside the important Government centers or Where Dr king Marched ?

A city has to have at least a million population or more to compete with Chicago.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:10 PM

574 posts, read 682,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
From HuffPost DC and the DCist. Sounds legit.
Hilarious! No one is passing LA anytime soon. DC vs Chicago is a lot closer and something we'll have to monitor over the years. I voted that it hasn't passed either city at this point.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:37 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,253,823 times
I certainly have nothing against DC. I see ALL our cities I want to see restored and fully vibrant again. I would also never declare LA as losing status and value as in population of its metropolitan area not booming as some past decades. Manhattan actually lost 9% and 6% of its population on the 70s and 80s and almost went bankrupt also in the 70s. The US government bailed it out. Also Manhattan has still not reached its 1910 population of 2.3 million. But it has recovered to 1.6 million today. Now look at it today..... in full international top city with London.

Right now the Northeast and Southeast. Texas and the Pacific Northwest are in the boom cycle. The Midwest is not. But DOWNTOWN CHICAGO STILL IS. People living there and near neighborhoods are continuing growth, restoration and new infill.

DC as the Capital in many countries would be their largest city. But there are aspects of what Chicago has in GLOBAL STATUS. That DC will NOT SURPASS. Like Chicago having the nations Stock Exchanges with NYC as #1 and Chicago still a Banking hub. SF and Boston are too not DC. I previously posted two global status world ranking and Chicago still maintains a global status today about 7th 8th in the World and is projected to fall.... But to be higher then LA and DC falls much further for their ranking. Asian cities on the rise. Even NYC is projected to fall to #4. AGAIN......DC DID NOT RANK IN A FUTURE GLOBAL STATUS AS TODAY.
Global Cities Outlook, 2015: (future expected ranking)
#1. San Francisco
#2. London
#3. Boston
#4. New York
#5. Zürich
#6. Houston
#7. Munich
#8. Stockholm
#9. Amsterdam
#10. Seoul
#16. Atlanta
#17. CHICAGO
#20. Toronto
#21. Los Angeles

FORTUNE 500 NUMBERS OF METRO'S OVER 3 MILLION
Fortune 500 - Fortune

New York: 88
- Chicago: 31
- San Francisco Bay Area: 30
- Houston: 26
- Dallas/Fort Worth: 21
- Los Angeles: 20
- Atlanta: 18
- Minneapolis-Saint Paul: 17
- Washington DC-Baltimore: 16
- Detroit: 13
- Boston: 13

There is more to overtaking a metro then just population alone. Of course DC can never have a iconic Downtown and skyline as Chicago.

As for future scenarios? If Global warming is real and Oceans rise? The Eastern coastal cities won't fare too well. Also the Water Shortages out west and possibility of a major earthquake. Chicago will suffer from neither issues. The Midwest merely has worst winters that has spool many say they like Chicago and would live there...... but for winter....

I say DC Metro will NOT PASS LA's Metro in population. It could pass Chicago? But I believe it is further away then anytime in the near future. But it is more on paper and a status that is not a defining method to overall stature of cities. ........JUST MY OPINION

Last edited by steeps; 08-11-2015 at 03:50 PM..

Old 08-11-2015, 04:37 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
Hilarious! No one is passing LA anytime soon. DC vs Chicago is a lot closer and something we'll have to monitor over the years. I voted that it hasn't passed either city at this point.
If anything, this should be a poll between SF, DC, and Chicago. LA is too high above all three.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:14 PM

2,830 posts, read 4,557,147 times
Wow, I like DC and all but come on! Chicago will be America's third city for a long time and LA will be the 2nd city our entire lifetime.

DC should go play in the park with Houston where it belongs.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:23 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,392,949 times
I can see a good argument for the Bay Area being our nation's 2nd city, actually more arguments for it than against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City