U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 04:10 PM

4 posts, read 6,563 times

Advertisements

I wanted to know which one would you pick to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 07:40 PM

3,462 posts, read 2,575,937 times
This one I think is about as close as it could get to a toss up for me.

Raleigh has more trees/parkland, better suburbs, NHL, better higher ed, closer to East Coast cities, and also not too far from OBX and Smokies

San Antonio has more interesting terrain/geology, is closer to the western NPs or at least Big Bend in this case and is right next door to Austin and Hill Country, has a vibrant heavily travled urban area(s), Riverwalk, Market Square, King William Districts, and more history, plus NBA.

Both have a similar population in their regions, and so I'm guessing the quality of many amenities is similar, they even have similar development patterns. Raleigh has a slight advantage to me on weather, as I could handle a 50 degree January more easily than a 95 degree summer.

I'm withholding complete judgment though until someone more informed than me weighs in on K-12 Ed, Traffic/Transit/Roads, overall feel and sense of community, plus cost of living related to jobs available.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:27 PM

11,543 posts, read 17,884,191 times
Raleigh's going to be more affluent no matter how it's measured. I'd suspect that K-12 education is also superior. Raleigh's adult population is way more educated than San Antonio's and that's probably a good indicator for a lot of related metrics.
Where the money is: A map of the 100 most affluent areas in the United States - The Business Journals
Press Room | The Labor Market 150 Index, presented by CareerBuilder & EMSI
25 Best Cities For Jobs | Glassdoor Blog
Raleigh's probably going be 5 or 6% higher cost of living.
Raleigh's crime rate is lower for both violent and non-violent crimes.
San Antonio's downtown areas are more developed and mature. Raleigh is furiously building its downtown residential scene but the retail is yet to come. It's probably another 5 years before something significant emerges.
Neither city has a transit rail. San Antonio has a bike share, Raleigh doesn't (yet). Neither city lights it up when it comes to leading transit issues but S.A. is a bit ahead. I can't speak about traffic because I haven't driven them both lately to compare.
Both cities are rapidly growing.
San Antonio is more about its central city and Raleigh is more about being the largest city in a multi-core metro area.
Raleigh's is more Democratic in its voting than San Antonio but Obama carried both core counties in 2012, just Wake County (Raleigh) by a larger percentage. Raleigh also has more left leaning neighboring counties while S.A. had no adjacent blue counties in the 2012 election. http://blogs.suntimes.com/politics/e...n-margins.jpeg
San Antonio has way more history and tourism. Raleigh is essentially a new city built around a smaller city core. S.A. traces its history to Spanish missionaries and explorers in the late 17th century while Raleigh was purposely designed to be the state capital of NC in the late 18th century.
Bexar County, TX is nearly double its 1980 population
Wake County, NC is more than triple its 1980 population
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or