U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 07:12 AM

777 posts, read 1,030,385 times

Advertisements

In 2005 Richmond Va was listed as the 5th most dangerous city in the US, now its not even ranked that says a lot just by itself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 08:27 AM

3,311 posts, read 2,238,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
In 2005 Richmond Va was listed as the 5th most dangerous city in the US, now its not even ranked that says a lot just by itself
I can agree with people saying New Orleans, just because of how tragic the fall was, and how dramatic the comeback has been. Still, Richmond has comeback in similar fashion with one caveat New Orleans has yet to solve, and that's the crime issue you mentioned...

I grew up here. I remember Cloverleaf Mall. I remember when Church Hill was a kill zone rather than the trendy neighborhood it is now. My mom had a friend who lived in Jackson Ward--that hood was rough! I remember when VCU was nowhere near as big as it is today. Richmond has always had culture, and now it is being reputed nationally for its food and craft beer scenes. Downtown is BEAUTIFUL now--who said that about Downtown Richmond prior to '05?

There's no right or wrong answer here, but one things for sure, any list of most improved cities NATIONALLY over the last decade has to include Rich. When I say "improved" I mean more than just a lot of people moving there. A lot of cities have that. Rich is the fastest growing city in The Commonwealth besides Alexandria, but that's Alexandria and we know it is basically "South" DC. Greater Richmond and Richmond city are outgrowing Hampton Roads metro and every city in Hampton Roads. What Richmond has that New Orleans doesn't is competition in-state; it's easier to be the best when you've always been the bigger and better city in your state....

New Orleans and Richmond probably tie here. It's hard to say another city in the South has improved as much as either...

To the people who vote Carolina cities, here's my take. Carolina cities are in an era of unending growth, but aren't really "coming back" from anything. That's how I define "most improved"--what hard times has a city gone through that it's coming back from? Everybody went through the Recession, so I'm clear in that is not wat I'm talking about. All that said, Carolina cities (esp. Charlotte, Raleigh, Charleston) are evolving and improving the amenities and quality of life constantly. They are beautiful cities and all great places to live. But to me, maybe only to me lol, there isn't a city in Carolina that qualifies for this discussion, in this context...

Old 08-14-2015, 08:41 AM

27,716 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
To the people who vote Carolina cities, here's my take. Carolina cities are in an era of unending growth, but aren't really "coming back" from anything. That's how I define "most improved"--what hard times has a city gone through that it's coming back from? Everybody went through the Recession, so I'm clear in that is not wat I'm talking about. All that said, Carolina cities (esp. Charlotte, Raleigh, Charleston) are evolving and improving the amenities and quality of life constantly. They are beautiful cities and all great places to live. But to me, maybe only to me lol, there isn't a city in Carolina that qualifies for this discussion, in this context...
Well I suppose it depends on how far we're going back. The 90's were particularly unkind to Charleston with the devastation from Hugo in the fall of '89 and the closure of the Navy base in '96. Charleston has since bounced back in a big way, but that started happening before most of the troubles that many of cities being mentioned have experienced.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:36 AM

3,461 posts, read 2,574,299 times
I think I agree with people about other cities above Orlando, perception being the key word. While there have been some kind words written about Orlando's bungalow neighborhoods and improvements, I think it still suffers from the perception that all it is is theme parks. I think I remember reading (and perhaps it was wrong), but over half of potential employers that traveled to Orlando for conventions weren't even aware that Orlando had a traditional CBD. Now you could argue how about crazy they are, considering that even somewhat looking down or around when arriving at the airport would show a view of the skyline, but the fact remains that many feel it's a Disney city.

New Orleans I don't think I thought any differently about ten years ago. I can tell you that I definitely have a more positive impression of Houston and Richmond than I would've ten years ago, but part of that is I do research on cities.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:08 AM

777 posts, read 1,030,385 times
Not to mention Richmond was the murder capitol back in the 90s, RVA shares a lot of similarities with NOLA that I didn't realize

Old 08-17-2015, 08:23 AM

89 posts, read 78,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Not to mention Richmond was the murder capitol back in the 90s, RVA shares a lot of similarities with NOLA that I didn't realize
I've shared this sentiment with sooooo many people. It wasn't till my first visit to New Orleans that I realized how similar these two place as are.

I agree, though. In the last decade, Richmond has slashed crime like few cities have, and downtown and the surrounding neighborhoods have really blossomed.

Consider decades of population decreases, and yet in a few short years we've had tens of thousands of new residents (city proper).

A Bus Rapid Transit line is on track to be completed in 2017; though, innercity rail and downtown retail is what we are lacking (but a Whole Foods is in progress and that may be the start if something huge).

My vote: RVA and NOLA

Old 08-17-2015, 08:29 AM

89 posts, read 78,380 times
Its also worth mentioning that, after experiencing record-breaking tourism as a town that has never had a tourist-driven economy, the downtown Hilton Garden is being renovated and rebranded as a Hilton, a Courtyard by Marriott and Martiott Residence Inn opened in February, a Hampton Inn and Extended Stay hotel is renovating a 17-story abandoned tower (both open this fall), and a boutique hotel, Quirk, opens next month.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:02 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,423,789 times
I would say Greenville. Most people don't realize how bad Greenville was prior to its growth and downtown rebuild because most probably knew little to nothing about Greenville. From tremendous growth and pioneering downtown revitalization, Greenville has gone from little more than an overgrown mill town to what it is today and its pretty remarkable to think that.

I would also say that I feel like Columbia should be up there as well. They are making enormous strides with downtown Columbia and though there is still plenty of work to do, numerous projects underway or on the horizon are helping that.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:33 PM

7,258 posts, read 3,277,493 times
Austin, Atlanta, Nashville, and Charlotte

Old 08-18-2015, 12:27 AM

4,270 posts, read 3,333,628 times
In the last 30 years: Charlotte

In the last 20 years: Atlanta

In the last 10 years: Austin

In the future: New Orleans, Nashville

Honorable mentions: Chattanooga, Greenville, Asheville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or