U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 10:01 AM

21,282 posts, read 20,911,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post
Providence. Salt Lake has too much of a Mormon influence.
Perhaps you could be more specific. How does a "Mormon influence" lessen the chances for a city to have a bright future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 10:03 AM

21,282 posts, read 20,911,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
So SLC is better because of stop overs?
Nobody said that. Delta airlines' western hub is in Salt Lake City, and Delta offers daily non-stop flights from Salt Lake City to Paris and from Salt Lake City to Amsterdam. For people living anywhere in western U.S. (outside of California, perhaps), this is a huge deal.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:07 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,519,213 times
lol Salt lake city

Old 08-19-2015, 02:16 PM

1,765 posts, read 1,984,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
lol Salt lake city
LOL +1

SLC by far...

Also, right now SLC is a tier higher in the Global City rankings than Providence. Not to knock Providence, I actually like the town. My opinion is that at this point, SLC is better positioned to continue the high growth rate it's had for many years. It also has one of the most highly educated work forces in the country. And that "Mormon influence" that's been thrown around is actually benefit, not a deficit. BTW, I'm not LDS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

Last edited by Kar54; 08-19-2015 at 02:48 PM..

Old 08-19-2015, 02:45 PM

1,325 posts, read 680,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Nobody said that. Delta airlines' western hub is in Salt Lake City, and Delta offers daily non-stop flights from Salt Lake City to Paris and from Salt Lake City to Amsterdam. For people living anywhere in western U.S. (outside of California, perhaps), this is a huge deal.
But the hub is also for stop overs. The hub offers non stops its great for the city, but I fly from Boston Delta to my buddy in Cinci, I have a stop over in Philly and get on a 2X2 seat plane. Philly's a great city but I don't do anything there but sit at the terminal. Atlanta has a busier airport than New York but I doubt Atlanta has more tourism than New York.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:55 PM

8,440 posts, read 10,730,757 times
Quote:
So SLC is better because of stop overs?
Maybe. It depends on the people and what they see There is one moving walking way that allows travelers to see the Wasatch Mtns. That is a plus for many. Plus, the busy airport does give the vibe of tech and new business.

An international airport is an asset to any city.

I didn't even mention Mrs. Fields and Overstock Headquarters.

MSR

Old 08-19-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
LOL +1

SLC by far...

Also, right now SLC is a tier higher in the Global City rankings than Providence. Not to knock Providence, I actually like the town. My opinion is that at this point, SLC is better positioned to continue the high growth rate it's had for many years. It also has one of the most highly educated work forces in the country. And that "Mormon influence" that's been thrown around is actually benefit, not a deficit. BTW, I'm not LDS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city
I like your post Kar54. Businesses do locate in UT because of the long-held LDS work ethics. Plus many who require high security clearances recruit sometimes twice a year from BYU and Utah. I can't really say much, given a relative's work. Salt Lake County draws a lot of Catholics and others. I know this is a city discussion, but SL County gives new meaning to overlapping metros. One city stops and the next starts in the same block.

But I can say the Bluffale NSA complex location was chosen for many reasons. In turn, I believe Bluffdale brings more high tech in and more tech jobs.

I had someone I use to work with who requested coming from Providence to SLC for work every other month.

MSR

Old 08-19-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
But the hub is also for stop overs. The hub offers non stops its great for the city, but I fly from Boston Delta to my buddy in Cinci, I have a stop over in Philly and get on a 2X2 seat plane. Philly's a great city but I don't do anything there but sit at the terminal. Atlanta has a busier airport than New York but I doubt Atlanta has more tourism than New York.
Have you flown to SLC recently either as a destination or hub?

Wow, that's a big change. Philly isn't a Delta Hub. Cincinnati has been a Delta hub, but somethings seem fuzzy there now.

MSR

Old 08-19-2015, 06:01 PM

54 posts, read 61,348 times
SLC, no question. People should take the entire Wasatch Front into account rather than only the city proper when making judgments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
But I can say the Bluffale NSA complex location was chosen for many reasons. In turn, I believe Bluffdale brings more high tech in and more tech jobs.
The NSA facility in Bluffdale offers very few jobs (aside from the initial jobs created for construction). It is a remotely-accessed data center which means it's nothing more than a giant hard drive which can be controlled from anywhere else in the country. I've heard it only has a couple dozen people who actually work there.

With its ridiculous strains on water (recent estimates say it uses 3 million gallons a day), I'd say it does very little to add to the local economy and actually limits potential resources other companies can use. There is also major controversy regarding the ethics of the NSA, obviously. Adobe, Micron, etc. are the initial companies that started the tech growth in the South Valley-Lehi area.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:45 PM

6,272 posts, read 15,530,116 times
If you have to take the whole Wasatch Front into account for SLC, then you have to take the whole CSA that Providence is part of and take Boston into account too. This gets out of hand pretty quickly when you pile things on. City only or MSA only would be fair, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or