Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2015, 09:34 AM

21 posts, read 31,709 times

Advertisements

Hi,
can anyone attest to dating scene for 32 year old woman in DC vs Philly? I'm in Philly now but may move to DC. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 04:41 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,700,565 times
Neither of them are great for dating imho.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:30 PM

650 posts, read 860,840 times
I'm really not sure. I just moved to DC last week, but I moved with my boyfriend. So my knowledge is very limited about DC right now. In general, though, I believe the dating scene in DC is unique. It's pretty bad from what I hear. The dating scene is better in College Park, MD because of the younger crowd. I live in College Park!

As for Philly, I have no idea.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:06 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,411,692 times
I believe this link will be of interest to you - The New, Interactive Singles Map.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:07 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,896,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post
In general, though, I believe the dating scene in DC is unique. It's pretty bad from what I hear.
I can't speak about the dating scene for women, but 100% of my guy friends that have any experience with it say it's terrible. If I'm not mistaken all of my guy and girl friends have left or are making plans to leave. When you get right down to it I'm it might have something to do with COL.

A while ago I tried to contact some women living in Alexandria, VA to get information for a visit and it was overall the worst experience I've had as far as that goes. Which is a shame because at one point it was on the list of possible places to move.

Most people I know say the same thing about Philly, which is, "Great to visit, but I wouldn't live there."

One of my brothers lives in Philly and doesn't like it. Although he was comparing it on a things to do level to NYC and an overall livability level to Pittsburgh. The rest of the people who said that wouldn't really give me a solid reason.

Overall I'd think Philly would be better just from an overall size point of view.

A cousin of mine went to Denver to find her husband and then moved back to Columbus fwiw.

Out west in general seems to have more guys and the east more women in general.

Any other options between DC and Philly?

Old 08-19-2015, 08:57 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,192,212 times
Even people in rural areas meet and fall in love. If a person has trouble dating, they should look at the mirror instead of the map.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:39 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,896,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Even people in rural areas meet and fall in love. If a person has trouble dating, they should look at the mirror instead of the map.
Eh, sometimes. But there are certainly places that are more difficult than others. Usually it's just a case of being the complete opposite of the type of person a city attracts so it feels overwhelmingly negative. Especially if you hit a slump as most people do (assuming they don't settle first).

Thus you create a self fulfilling prophecy and/or downward spiral.

Occasionally the deck will be stacked against you just from the number of available singles of a one gender or the other.

Seattle is an example of the perfect storm when it comes to problems with dating and making friends.

Most of the people from rural areas I know/knew followed one of a few specific paths.

1. Got lucky and made it work with the HS gf/bf. Ended up divorced in the end though.
2. Went to the big bad city for college and met their spouse there before moving back to the small town.
3. Joined the military and met someone overseas who came with them when they returned.
4. Their kids are friends with another kid who's parents get divorced and since they see each other so often they give dating a try.

Very few people, at least from the people I've known, in rural areas meet a stranger at the bar and end up together for longer than a night or two.

In other words the dynamic in rural areas is different than in the city.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:22 PM

135 posts, read 173,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

This.

The dating stuff may be the most overdone thing on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City