U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 06:04 AM

715 posts, read 790,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Only cities that have a strong, LOCAL rap scene, because nationwide these days, companies like Clear Channel make sure most Hip Hop and R&B stations from coast to coast are homogeneous and play the same 7 or 8 artists and songs over and over all day every day.
This.

Because Hot 97.5 used to be THEE SHAT back in the day. When Chris Lova Lova and P00n Daddy did the damn thang.

#ATL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 06:07 AM

715 posts, read 790,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I'm not ignorant of the "culture"; I'm an American and have been exposed to hip hop since basically birth. It's unavoidable. I just don't understand why people find talking to a beat beautiful or moving or enjoyable in any way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Your comments prove otherwise. Anyway, you're going off topic. If you don't like hip hop, make another thread about it.
#dead

Old 08-15-2015, 07:32 AM

52,642 posts, read 75,502,369 times
Another thing is that college radio, many times, may have good shows in regards to less mainstream Hip-Hop and/or putting local talent on display. For instance, I know that this college radio station has shows that does this: 90.9FM WCDB Albany, New York

Another station I'm familiar with: http://impact89fm.org/blog/2015/08/08/the-vibe-8-8-15/

Old 08-15-2015, 01:50 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,037,521 times
Quote:
I legitimately don't understand why, though. It's not even music. It's just spoken poetry with an accompanying beat. Why do people like that?
Is this dude forreal?

Old 08-15-2015, 01:53 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,037,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
It is music, it's a type of art where people express themselves which is hip hop is all about.

Music= vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.

What difference does it make that it's more spoken word than singing? they have "instrumentals" where no one is saying anything at all. It's still called music.

People like it because they can relate, different rap songs make people feel good, have fun, feel sad, feel inspired, or even feel violent. People even dance to it. It's art and music just like anything else.

I don't understand stuff like Bluegrass, Country, or especially that Screamo sh*t. But I still know it's music.

I would like to see you try to freestyle over a beat and see how easy you think it is.
This a thousand times Some people are just plain ignorant and slow toward the culture. Sad really. Anyways, rep points coming your way

Old 08-15-2015, 04:50 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,117,673 times
Quote:
I legitimately don't understand why, though. It's not even music. It's just spoken poetry with an accompanying beat. Why do people like that?
You don't have to understand. People are going to enjoy it no matter what.

You probably like something that people don't. Same concept.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:59 PM

49 posts, read 33,963 times
I don't listen to the radio anymore because payola rules it!

Old 08-15-2015, 09:32 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,914,317 times
Quote:
Ahh. Gotcha. I didn't realize I had to be an anthropologist to understand hip hop. Thanks for schooling me.
You're welcome.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:42 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,914,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_of-Wynnton View Post
I don't listen to the radio anymore because payola rules it!
Even as late as 2001, you could at least hear local or regional music more. On 97.9 the Boxx in Houston, you could hear mostly Houston stuff especially when they mixed. If they didn't play Houston, they played lots of music from the rest of the South with a sprinkle of some west coast in there at times. Same thing with Memphis when I use to hear it online. They played Memphis stuff on their station. I think Hot 107 (I think that was the station) was basically the crunk station where you hear much of the Memphis artists that you wouldn't hear outside of that region. It was good to go to different cities and hear the different scenes. I mean radio was still not good that year but not as bad as it is now. It's unlistenable now.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:56 PM

3,626 posts, read 4,349,804 times
I liked the radio in the early 2000's, it was still at least a good mixture. I still hear local music on the radio but Jesus I never thought it could decline so rapidly so fast. But people don't want to hear that no more though. The only radio getting most local play is Atlanta.

All this stuff is mainstream now days. I know Chicago tries to throw in some local stuff every once in a while. Detroit tries to throw in some local stuff in the regular playlist but it's far and few between as well. Most of the local stuff is playing either when they have a special time dedicated to local artist or while their doing mixes at clubs or something but half of that never gets to regular rotation. I have the IHeartRadio app and I can honestly flip through damn near every station and be nearly the exact same.

It's going to be like this until every city starts demanding local play or different music in general. But that won't happen because most of these stations seem like they only cater to teenagers and what they want to hear. I heard Atlanta really promotes their artist though, that's why their on top of the game right now. So S/O to them, they did what they had to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or