Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 01:13 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,105,996 times

Advertisements

I can't speak for now (haven't listened to the radio besides for sports since like ~2002) but the Bay Area was always pretty consistent in playing local artists. I would be surprised if that has changed, given the Bay's self sufficient underground culture/history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 05:47 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,745,696 times
I saw that Radio One changed their Old School Hip Hop radio in Houston from Old School Hip Hop to Top 40. Wonder why that happened? Im sure the playlist was probably more East Coast music than Houston music. Can't have people in DC or NYC giving Houston a playlist that isn't at least 70% DJ Screw, Scarface, UGK, Paul Wall, Chamillionaire, etc, etc, etc. I wish these program directors would figure out play the same Old School songs on all the Boom stations. They have to change it up depending on the city

KROI/Houston Flips To Top 40 'Radio Now 92.1' | AllAccess.com

Old 01-06-2017, 10:22 AM

9,675 posts, read 9,348,789 times
Definitely not Nashville.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:32 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,669,065 times
Lol.

Do they even have pirate radio stations left? Pirate stations are where real Hip-hop heads listened to.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:37 AM

92,992 posts, read 123,506,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Lol.

Do they even have pirate radio stations left? Pirate stations are where real Hip-hop heads listened to.
Or college or community radio that may have some good shows. This community station from Rochester has a good show on Friday evenings: http://www.1009wxir.com

This college radio station from Albany also has some good genre based shows: 90.9FM WCDB Albany, New York

Old 01-06-2017, 01:00 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,560,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Lol.

boston has a lot of pirates for some reason. i made a thread asking why ?:
which cities also have a lot of pirate radio stations ?

Old 01-06-2017, 05:39 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,794,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
I saw that Radio One changed their Old School Hip Hop radio in Houston from Old School Hip Hop to Top 40. Wonder why that happened? Im sure the playlist was probably more East Coast music than Houston music. Can't have people in DC or NYC giving Houston a playlist that isn't at least 70% DJ Screw, Scarface, UGK, Paul Wall, Chamillionaire, etc, etc, etc. I wish these program directors would figure out play the same Old School songs on all the Boom stations. They have to change it up depending on the city

KROI/Houston Flips To Top 40 'Radio Now 92.1' | AllAccess.com
It makes sense.

First, "Old School" hip-hop stations are running into a problem of not having enough material to draw from to have a varied playlist while sticking to songs that everyone knows and not going too obscure. Classic rock stations have four decades of material to draw from that is much more varied than the two or so decades that hip-hop has been mainstream. My area doesn't have a mainstream hip-hop station but there is an old school station and they have recently added stuff from the late 2000s to their playlist. To me, that makes it seem like they are grasping for straws.

Second, I am not sure how it is today as much with the homogenization of FM radio nationwide, but in the mid 2000s, a hip-hop station in San Francisco would sound nothing like one in Dallas which wouldn't sound anything like one in Miami. There was distinct regional differences in hip-hop.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:22 AM

9,675 posts, read 9,348,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Second, I am not sure how it is today as much with the homogenization of FM radio nationwide, but in the mid 2000s, a hip-hop station in San Francisco would sound nothing like one in Dallas which wouldn't sound anything like one in Miami. There was distinct regional differences in hip-hop.
I agree. There has been some major whitewashing and homogenization of hip hop nationally. It used to be that the major hip hop songs had an rnb or pop hook, whereas now the hip hop or pop hop is the hook in most songs today. There were distinct cultural differences, sounds, etc., but now we have these little runtz running around not even pronouncing their words making no sense and having no message.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:10 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,745,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It makes sense.

First, "Old School" hip-hop stations are running into a problem of not having enough material to draw from to have a varied playlist while sticking to songs that everyone knows and not going too obscure. Classic rock stations have four decades of material to draw from that is much more varied than the two or so decades that hip-hop has been mainstream. My area doesn't have a mainstream hip-hop station but there is an old school station and they have recently added stuff from the late 2000s to their playlist. To me, that makes it seem like they are grasping for straws.

Its still much more old school hip hop that they can play. Instead they play the same stuff. How about digging in the crates sometime? Master P has way more hits than "Make'em Say Huh" but they still continue to play it like its the only hit he has. If they would pick the playlist by gathering some local djs/etc from Houston to choose those songs that they do not know about at their HQ's in DC but are hits in Houston im sure that station would have continued to have high ratings. Because the ratings were good initially and then they started decreasing and im sure that happened because they played the same generic east coast shyt all-day

Old 01-07-2017, 10:30 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,560,003 times
^ radio-1's pitbulls used to shuffle around their jugglers (funkmaster flex, roy barboza, khalid, touchtone,...) among their national affiliates during their memorial/veterans/labor day mix marathons. each city had a different flavor that would be introduced to another market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City