U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 06:26 AM

517 posts, read 356,676 times

Advertisements

You separated these by MSA so Baltimore is not combined with DC and SJ is not combined with SF, and thus I rank them lower. Why did you separate Oakland from SF?

Importance Grade - A+
New York, NY

Importance Grade - A
Los Angeles, CA
(DC would go here if this was by CSA)

Importance Grade - A-
Chicago
DC
Houston
(The Bay and Boston would go here if this was by CSA)

Importance Grade - B+
SF
Boston
DFW
Philadelphia
Atlanta

Importance Grade - B
San Jose, CA
Miami
Seattle
Minneapolis St Paul
Denver
San Diego
Detroit
Phoenix

Importance Grade - B-
Pittsburgh
Milwaukee
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Orlando
Tampa
Charlotte
San Antonio
New Orleans
St Louis
Memphis
Nashville
Baltimore
Honolulu
Austin

I know I am forgetting a lot

Old 08-16-2015, 08:19 AM

3,619 posts, read 1,369,000 times
Washington DC is not A+ on any of these ?????? Politics influence every citizens daily life, the fed influences the economy, the congress passes bills, etc that change the way we live . Washington DC is alot more influential to our lives than media and fashion in NYC, even wall street takes its leads from the fed and politics

Old 08-16-2015, 08:34 AM

135 posts, read 118,717 times
There is zero way Philadelphia is anything lower than at least one or two spots below NYC, let alone not grouped with SF, Boston, Atlanta and DC.

It has some of the top ranked schools/hospitals in the world, aside over 6 million in the MSA and one of the top GDP's.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:47 AM

3,079 posts, read 2,550,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
Washington DC is not A+ on any of these ?????? Politics influence every citizens daily life, the fed influences the economy, the congress passes bills, etc that change the way we live . Washington DC is alot more influential to our lives than media and fashion in NYC, even wall street takes its leads from the fed and politics
This newspaper list is more of a joke than anything else, but your comment immediately reminded me of it.

Understanding U.S. Newspapers and Their Readers

1. The Wall Street Journal is read by the people who run the country.
2. The Washington Post is read by people who think they run the country.
3. The New York Times is read by people who think they should run the country and who are very good at crossword puzzles.

Understanding U.S. Newspapers and Their Readers

Old 08-16-2015, 08:53 AM

31,575 posts, read 53,103,852 times
Quote:
DC is important, but Wall Street pays attention to the federal reserve, interest rates and some economic data, but all of those take their cues from what's happening around the country, not what's specifically happening in and around DC.

In order:

A+
New York
Los Angeles
Chicago
San Francisco
Washington DC
Houston
Boston
Dallas
Atlanta
Miami
Philadelphia

^New York might be the largest, but we have several extremely famous, international cities that are major influencers of the global economy.

A
Seattle
Detroit
Minneapolis

^
Very important economic hubs, the next tier as far as corporate concentration, brand recognition, etc. When the Seattle CSA surpasses 5 Million population, I will consider it an A+ city. Detroit already has 5 Million+ but because the city is in such dissaray, I will keep it an A and not lower, due to it's status as automotive center of the US. Minneapolis is a major hub of large corporations, well above it's size and its companies represent a range of industries.

B+
Denver
Charlotte
Phoenix
San Diego
Pittsburgh
San Antonio
Las Vegas
Orlando
Hartford

^Denver is a major air hub, a major business hub, Charlotte is a banking center, Phoenix has 4 million people, San Diego is a major tourist center and biotech hub, San Antonio, Pittsburgh and Hartford are major corporate cities, Orlando and Las Vegas have international acclaim as tourism meccas.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:11 AM

602 posts, read 555,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
New York should be alone. Richmond, Raleigh, Des Moines, Memphis, Omaha, Tulsa, Toledo, Knoxville, Little Rock etc. are noticebly absent, yet Wichita and Anchorage made the list. Seattle should switch places with Atlanta. Charlotte should be higher as well. Ok! I see Baltimore made the A list lol. Detroit all the way down the list though! Birmingham last! lol Fresno! lol...this better be for laughs

Lol only somebody from California would put Fresno above Cleveland or Jacksonville

Old 08-16-2015, 09:11 AM

7,022 posts, read 12,521,814 times
WOW, I can't believe how low people are ranking Houston!! Do you all like energy? Gasoline to drive your car, natural gas for electricity, petroleum products for practically everything. Major population center, port, and energy hub plus corporate headquarters. It has to be in the top five.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:12 AM

9,701 posts, read 6,669,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
The best one I think is:

NYC

LA

Chicago
San Francisco
DC

Houston
Boston

Dallas
Miami
Atlanta
Philadelphia

Seattle
Minneapolis
Detroit
That's the most accurate list I've seen on this thread, IMO.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:16 AM

602 posts, read 555,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
You separated these by MSA so Baltimore is not combined with DC and SJ is not combined with SF, and thus I rank them lower. Why did you separate Oakland from SF?

Importance Grade - A+
New York, NY

Importance Grade - A
Los Angeles, CA
(DC would go here if this was by CSA)

Importance Grade - A-
Chicago
DC
Houston
(The Bay and Boston would go here if this was by CSA)

Importance Grade - B+
SF
Boston
DFW
Philadelphia
Atlanta

Importance Grade - B
San Jose, CA
Miami
Seattle
Minneapolis St Paul
Denver
San Diego
Detroit
Phoenix

Importance Grade - B-
Pittsburgh
Milwaukee
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Orlando
Tampa
Charlotte
San Antonio
New Orleans
St Louis
Memphis
Nashville
Baltimore
Honolulu
Austin

I know I am forgetting a lot
Your list not making sense Neither Chicago -A? Houston above San Francisco? really? REALLY!?

Old 08-16-2015, 09:19 AM

9,701 posts, read 6,669,821 times
Quote:
NYC isn't important because of "media and fashion". DC is important because of "politics", so you're making a silly analogy. If there were no "media and fashion" in NYC, it would still be, by far, the most important U.S. city. If there were no "politics" in DC then it wouldn't even exist.

And if politics alone made a city the most important, then Canberra would be more important than Sydney, Bonn more important than Frankfurt, Brasilia more important than Sao Paulo, Ottawa more important than Toronto, Bern more important than Zurich, Abuja more important than Lagos, Pretoria more important than Johannesburg, etc. Heck, in the DC area, Annapolis would be more important than Baltimore. Not many people would make such an argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City