Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 09:46 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Because people seem to be making less major moves across metros, I've lost a little interest in metro domestic migration totals.

Bragging or worrying that your medium sized metro gained or lost a few thousand folks seems trivial.
Any stats to back this up? Not saying you're not telling the truth; I'm just genuinely interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 02:13 AM

366 posts, read 404,620 times
So basically people's argument for SF/SJ working but DC/Baltimore not working is that Baltimore has more of an identity?

Okay...but nobody actually claims that Baltimore is a part of DC though. The whole reason the DC CSA is looked at such a power force but MSA considerably less so is because of the dual metro combination. I have hardly ever heard anybody say it's all DC's doing.

Also, aren't people who are arguing for SJ as part of SF basically saying San Jose is typical suburbia without it's own identity?

Old 08-24-2015, 06:39 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,399,746 times
Whatever Montclair says

Old 08-25-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
So basically people's argument for SF/SJ working but DC/Baltimore not working is that Baltimore has more of an identity?

Okay...but nobody actually claims that Baltimore is a part of DC though. The whole reason the DC CSA is looked at such a power force but MSA considerably less so is because of the dual metro combination. I have hardly ever heard anybody say it's all DC's doing.

Also, aren't people who are arguing for SJ as part of SF basically saying San Jose is typical suburbia without it's own identity?
Whatever argument people use for The Bay CSA, also works for D.C./Baltimore. I honestly think it's just the different jurisdictions thing, as opposed to one state, holding people up. If we're gonna use this inflated metric (and I don't think we should), then there's really not one region where it "works" substantially better than others.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:35 PM

6,737 posts, read 6,727,597 times
Spend a lot of time in both DC and SF, and there's a big difference between the CSAs. SJ has the same techie economy as SF, with Google, Facebook, etc shuttling workers from SF down to the Valley. Key is that pay scales between the two areas are very similar, as are housing costs and education levels. That is definitely not the case in DC-Balt.

If you live in SF, you'll likely have friends who work near SJ, and vice versa. Much, much less likely to see that in DC-Balt, especially with so much of the DC economy growing in the other direction into Virginia. I've lived here (at least part-time) for 18 years and anyone I've met who works in Maryland is off of a metro stop, or a 270 exit less than 10 miles from the DC border. It would be the equivalent of the Bay Area having very few jobs south of SFO.

Also, imagine if the Ravens played on the DC border, think anyone would call them Baltimore? And if the Redskins played near BWI they would lose any right to be called "Washington". No way a team here could pull off the move the Niners did.

Cleveland feels more like Baltimore than DC does. A better analogy for SF-SJ is DC-Dulles Corridor. CSA definition works there, but definitely not here.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:10 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,110,662 times
Good post but don't waste your time, there is only a handful or so of somewhat vocal posters who take issue with this and they clearly don't even know or understand what they are talking about most of the time.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Spend a lot of time in both DC and SF, and there's a big difference between the CSAs. SJ has the same techie economy as SF, with Google, Facebook, etc shuttling workers from SF down to the Valley. Key is that pay scales between the two areas are very similar, as are housing costs and education levels. That is definitely not the case in DC-Balt.

If you live in SF, you'll likely have friends who work near SJ, and vice versa. Much, much less likely to see that in DC-Balt, especially with so much of the DC economy growing in the other direction into Virginia. I've lived here (at least part-time) for 18 years and anyone I've met who works in Maryland is off of a metro stop, or a 270 exit less than 10 miles from the DC border. It would be the equivalent of the Bay Area having very few jobs south of SFO.

Also, imagine if the Ravens played on the DC border, think anyone would call them Baltimore? And if the Redskins played near BWI they would lose any right to be called "Washington". No way a team here could pull off the move the Niners did.

Cleveland feels more like Baltimore than DC does. A better analogy for SF-SJ is DC-Dulles Corridor. CSA definition works there, but definitely not here.
Culturally they're distinct, yes, but on geographic and commuting patterns, it's all one big metro, at this point. It makes no sense to single out the Bay as the only "correct" CSA, if we're gonna use this ridiculous, inflated metric, when Baltimore and D.C. are literally closer geographically.

So yes, the Bay is much more culturally unified (though not completely. It's still Oakland sports teams vs San Francisco teams in the two most popular sports). It's also more economically similar than D.C./Baltimore (though Baltimore is more white collar these days).

But if we're going off pure geography, D.C. and Baltimore are already one. It's already Baltimore Washington International. And culturally, they do share some attributes. I greatly foresee the day when they're actually part of the same MSA, a less inflated metric in my eyes.

And apparently, I'm not the only one who does.

Washington Capitals, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis says Baltimore will become part of a D.C. supercity - Washington Business Journal

Old 08-25-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Good post but don't waste your time, there is only a handful or so of somewhat vocal posters who take issue with this and they clearly don't even know or understand what they are talking about most of the time.
Shots fired?

Old 08-25-2015, 09:57 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Whatever Montclair says
That guy needs a girlfriend bad or a job lol

Old 08-26-2015, 09:11 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
That guy needs a girlfriend bad or a job lol
Not to be a gossiper, but I think he might be gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City