U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Powerful City in the Midwest outside of Chi Det and Min
St Louis 42 36.21%
Indianapolis 15 12.93%
Cleveland 31 26.72%
Milwaukee 6 5.17%
Omaha 4 3.45%
Columbus 4 3.45%
Other? Explain 1 0.86%
Cincinnatti 3 2.59%
Louisville 1 0.86%
Kansas City 9 7.76%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 11:57 AM

1,809 posts, read 2,422,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Yes, Mayo draws international patients. I didn't see Rochester, MN as an option above. Perhaps there should be a different type of poll with a smaller metro drawing the most international visitors or something similar.
You were the first one to bring up Mayo, friend. Not me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 11:59 AM

1,809 posts, read 2,422,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
I used Northeast Ohio for Cleveland not MSA. However, I did use MSA for MSP and Detroit. I was responding to the quote at the beginning of my post about Northeast Ohio being more powerful than MSP and Detroit.

As for Kenyon I got that from here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_Ohio
So are we proving each other's points, then?

Old 08-18-2015, 12:14 PM

553 posts, read 446,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
So are we proving each other's points, then?
Yes we are

Old 08-18-2015, 12:40 PM

1,671 posts, read 1,919,220 times
Guys Detroit and the Twin Cities are actually excluded from the thread... that being said, if it's what you want to talk about you're in luck as the OP has an identical thread for the Midwest minus Chicago which is essentially just Detroit vs. the Twin Cities (found here: Most Powerful City in the Midwest.....Not named Chicago just like this thread is honestly just St. Louis vs. Cleveland.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:44 PM

518 posts, read 404,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Guys Detroit and the Twin Cities are actually excluded from the thread... that being said, if it's what you want to talk about you're in luck as the OP has an identical thread for the Midwest minus Chicago which is essentially just Detroit vs. the Twin Cities (found here: Most Powerful City in the Midwest.....Not named Chicago just like this thread is honestly just St. Louis vs. Cleveland.
Agreed. So which city is better, St. Louis or Cleveland?

Old 08-18-2015, 01:29 PM

703 posts, read 892,015 times
I find this a good response in regards in arguing for Cleveland...especially the CSA numbers and TV market numbers.

I would guess internationally, Cleveland's name carries more recognition.

The "name branding" becomes reinforced with the Cleveland Orchestra, Cleveland Clinic, and major professional sports teams (whether or not you believe it, the power of the Lebron-effect is absolutely real). And hosting a National Convention comes in second behind only the Olympics for total media covering an every.

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
For me it's hard to view Cleveland's influence without considering "Northeast Ohio"...meaning Cleveland's CSA. This is by far the largest of any of the cities mentioned.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comb...atistical_Area

Even look at the TV market rankings:

Top 100 Television Markets - Station Index

Name recognition comes from:

1. Cleveland Clinic
2. Having 3 major professional sports teams
3. Cleveland Orchestra (especially in Europe)
4. Pop culture TV shows/movie references (Drew Carey Show, Hot in Cleveland, Ted Mosby's character, The Chew starring Iron Chef Michael Symon... A few Hollywood movies)
5. Rock and Roll HOF
6. Lebron James brings constant national and international attention media coverage
7. Basically large media events, especially the Republican National Convention and debates, Alternative Press Music Awards, RRHOF Induction ceremonies, NBA finals (fingers crossed on a few more years!!).. In the CSA you also get the Pro Football Hall of Fame induction ceremonies, and Akron Bridgestone Invitational WGC
8. Having a National Park (Cuyahoga Valley)
9. Music scene (Kid Cudi, Machine Gun Kelly, Bone thugs and Harmony who rep the city)
10. Nationally known tortuous past of sports futility and economic/industrial collapse before rebirth

I feel St. Louis is the only other city who claims a lot of similar attributes/influence.

Business-wise Cincinnati punches above its weight (fortune 500, etc).

Old 08-18-2015, 01:41 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,162,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf_1832 View Post
I would guess internationally, Cleveland's name carries more recognition.

The "name branding" becomes reinforced with the Cleveland Orchestra, Cleveland Clinic, and major professional sports teams
Maybe - but the things you listed are somewhat known domestically, but not much internationally.

I voted for Cleveland, but certainly not based on international brand/name recognition. Neither St Louis nor Cleveland have much of that, you have to look at their postitions nationally and within the Midwest.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:01 PM

3,844 posts, read 7,805,071 times
^ When I was in Vienna, I was speaking to a local and told him I was from Cleveland. He remarked "oh, you have a fine orchestra." And I replied "and also Lebron James!" He shrugged and saying he never heard of him. I explained basketball and he still shrugged.

Many people in Europe have heard of Cleveland because of its orchestra... Often regarded as top 10 worldwide every year.

The Cleveland Clinic has its own brand as well opening up locations in Las Vegas, Florida, and Abu Dhabi.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:10 PM

1,671 posts, read 1,919,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
Agreed. So which city is better, St. Louis or Cleveland?
I'll start this as a work in progress post as I'm getting tired over here.

It depends, but from my perspective (biased I guess since I've lived in St. Louis and not Cleveland, but not too bad I hope since Cleveland is a city I could see myself in based on visits/info) I'd say St. Louis overall, and I'll break down the OP's criteria since most of it is actually mostlyobjective facts:

In a bit more Fairer comparison since all the Midwest Cities outside of Chicago Detroit or Minneapolis are similarly sized . What's the Strongest city in the MidWest not named Chicago Detroit or Minneapolis

-Besides Chicago Detroit and Minneapolis the Most Famous City Nationally in the MidWest is__________________

St. Louis/Cleveland, but this is one of the more subjective questions. I picked these two due to many factors, especially the sizes of their populations and economies both historically and present, the connections these things entail (major companies, research universities, hospitals, cultural institutions, historic neighborhoods, architecture,sports, etc.) and the overall impact on the development of the US. I think I'd go with St. Louis overall in these categories as it's both bigger and includes as a bonus an instantly recognizable national monument which Cleveland lacks: the Gateway Arch.

For the populations:

MSA/
St. Louis 2,806,207
Cincy 2,149,449
KC 2,071,133
Cleveland 2,063,598
Columbus 1,994,536
Indy 1,971,274
Milwaukee 1,572,245
Omaha 904,421

-Besides Chicago Detroit and Minneapolis the Most Famous City INTERNATIONALLY in the MidWest is___________

See above.

-Largest GDP

Current GDP by MSA (Millions of dollars 2014):

St. Louis: 145,958
Indy: 126,472
Cleveland: 122, 878
Cincy: 119,090
KC: 117,321
Columbus: 114,253
Milwaukee: 94,374

-Fastest Growing economy and Job Creation

I'd imagine it's Indy and Columbus here, but I'll have to come back and fill in numbers (anyone want to help?)

-Most Tourism

Need to check this as well.

-Most Population Growth

Columbus +4.87%
Indy +4.42%
KC +3.08%
Cincy +1.65%
Milwaukee +1.05%
St. Louis +.66%
Cleveland -.66%

-Best Sports

St. Louis and Cleveland both have 3 out of the big 4 pro sports, with St. Louis seeming to be the stronger sports town.

-Prestigious Schools

Need to check rankings on a few of the smaller ones still.

-Most number of Fortune 500 HQ's

Off the top of my currently tired head I think these two have the most, will fill out the rest.

Cincy: 10
St. Louis 9

-Best City Positioned for the future

Subjective, but will fill out my thoughts later I guess.

Most Powerful City in the Midwest Not Named Chicago Detroit or Minneapolis is____________
Rate this post positively

Old 08-18-2015, 04:24 PM

8,440 posts, read 10,717,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
You were the first one to bring up Mayo, friend. Not me.
Correct. You asked if I thought Mayo received international patients and I answered you.

I don't think there is a misunderstanding, but if so, please specify what I wrote that was confusing.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City