U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Powerful City in the Midwest outside of Chi Det and Min
St Louis 42 36.21%
Indianapolis 15 12.93%
Cleveland 31 26.72%
Milwaukee 6 5.17%
Omaha 4 3.45%
Columbus 4 3.45%
Other? Explain 1 0.86%
Cincinnatti 3 2.59%
Louisville 1 0.86%
Kansas City 9 7.76%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 10:17 AM

7,556 posts, read 9,403,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I didn't know that Cleveland Clinic was known or recognized as anything special, and I live in the Midwest. I don't believe it has an international rep (like Mayo does) outside list junkies and industry professionals. So it's a great amenity for Cleveland to have, but no, it doesn't translate to any renown outside the region. Then again, Mayo is not in the Twin Cities and we're not supposed to be comparing TCs anyway and I'm confused as to why this is a topic...
The Cleveland Clinic is VERY, VERY renowned in the medical community worldwide.

Rochester, MN should not be part of this debate, though..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 11:14 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,376,141 times
Hey, I'm just saying that in terms of recognition, your average person in this country will be familiar with Mayo, but likely would not know that there's anything special about Cleveland Clinic. It's a regional draw, or a draw for those involved in the medical field, but it's not something a random guy in Germany will know the first thing about.

And again, great local resource for Cleveland - but it isn't something that has a high profile outside that region, like Lebron or RnR Hall or something like that.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:16 AM

790 posts, read 956,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post

US News and World Reports ranks Mayo Clinic #2 Hospital in the nation behind only Mass General. Cleveland Clinic comes in at #5. I have yet to see a hospital rankings report where Cleveland Clinic is rated higher than Mayo Clinic (Or Johns-Hopkins for that matter) in overall care.

The Honor Roll of Best Hospitals 2015-16 - US News
I'd say being ranked 1, 2, or 3 in any category nationwide is quite impressive and translates to being nationally/internationally known. From the link posted:

Highest rankings in:
Cardiology & Heart Surgery (1st)
Gastroenterology & GI Surgery (2nd)
Nephrology (2nd)
Rheumatology (2nd)
Urology (2nd)
Diabetes & Endocrinology (3rd)
Gynecology (3rd)
Orthopedics (3rd)
Pulmonology (3rd)
Honor Roll rank last year: 4

Old 08-20-2015, 11:21 AM

3,174 posts, read 3,825,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Hey, I'm just saying that in terms of recognition, your average person in this country will be familiar with Mayo, but likely would not know that there's anything special about Cleveland Clinic. It's a regional draw, or a draw for those involved in the medical field, but it's not something a random guy in Germany will know the first thing about.

And again, great local resource for Cleveland - but it isn't something that has a high profile outside that region, like Lebron or RnR Hall or something like that.
Hmm... tell that to the Saudi princes who regularly go there for treatment. People come from all over the country and the world to go to the Cleveland Clinic. It is far more than a regional draw.

Consider that Toby Cosgrove, the CEO of the $6.5 billion healthcare system was asked by president Obama to head the VA.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:57 AM

3,928 posts, read 3,451,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf_1832 View Post
I'd say being ranked 1, 2, or 3 in any category nationwide is quite impressive and translates to being nationally/internationally known. From the link posted:

Highest rankings in:
Cardiology & Heart Surgery (1st)
Gastroenterology & GI Surgery (2nd)
Nephrology (2nd)
Rheumatology (2nd)
Urology (2nd)
Diabetes & Endocrinology (3rd)
Gynecology (3rd)
Orthopedics (3rd)
Pulmonology (3rd)
Honor Roll rank last year: 4
Please tell me in anything that I said, where I said it wasn't known internationally?

Old 08-20-2015, 12:11 PM

Getting back on topic....

One advantage I will say I think Cleveland has over St. Louis is better race relations. Cleveland is less southern, and has had a long history of racial tolerance. Yes, we've had our issues, but we had the first black mayor of a major US city (Carl Stokes in 1968), nationally renowned integration programs in schools (Shaker Heights), and a large black middle class. We haven't experienced riots like the St. Louis area did, despite having incidents of police brutality against Black people. That's largely because Cleveland didn't have the same "powder keg" situation that Ferguson (and Baltimore) did.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:17 PM

757 posts, read 689,022 times
Not sure if St Louis is the most influential city or if it's just the most famous city. That may be why people are voting for it

Old 08-20-2015, 12:19 PM

2,410 posts, read 2,825,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
For me it's hard to view Cleveland's influence without considering "Northeast Ohio"...meaning Cleveland's CSA. This is by far the largest of any of the cities mentioned.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comb...atistical_Area

Even look at the TV market rankings:

Top 100 Television Markets - Station Index

Name recognition comes from:

1. Cleveland Clinic
2. Having 3 major professional sports teams
3. Cleveland Orchestra (especially in Europe)
4. Pop culture TV shows/movie references (Drew Carey Show, Hot in Cleveland, Ted Mosby's character, The Chew starring Iron Chef Michael Symon... A few Hollywood movies)
5. Rock and Roll HOF
6. Lebron James brings constant national and international attention media coverage
7. Basically large media events, especially the Republican National Convention and debates, Alternative Press Music Awards, RRHOF Induction ceremonies, NBA finals (fingers crossed on a few more years!!).. In the CSA you also get the Pro Football Hall of Fame induction ceremonies, and Akron Bridgestone Invitational WGC
8. Having a National Park (Cuyahoga Valley)
9. Music scene (Kid Cudi, Machine Gun Kelly, Bone thugs and Harmony who rep the city)
10. Nationally known tortuous past of sports futility and economic/industrial collapse before rebirth

I feel St. Louis is the only other city who claims a lot of similar attributes/influence.

Business-wise Cincinnati punches above its weight (fortune 500, etc).
Also, even though the company is long gone, Cleveland is well known as the city that birthed John D. Rockerfeller's Standard Oil Co.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:01 PM

888 posts, read 1,071,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Getting back on topic....

One advantage I will say I think Cleveland has over St. Louis is better race relations. Cleveland is less southern, and has had a long history of racial tolerance. Yes, we've had our issues, but we had the first black mayor of a major US city (Carl Stokes in 1968), nationally renowned integration programs in schools (Shaker Heights), and a large black middle class. We haven't experienced riots like the St. Louis area did, despite having incidents of police brutality against Black people. That's largely because Cleveland didn't have the same "powder keg" situation that Ferguson (and Baltimore) did.
This is completely unfounded. According to many sources, Cleveland is even more racially segregated than St. Louis: http://www.twcc.com/entertainment/ga...gated-cities#9
http://www.salon.com/2011/03/29/most...s/slide_show/1

No arguing the north/south identity crisis that STL has vs. Cleveland, but it's not so relevant in this discussion. Major Southern cities in general have much better race relations and less segregation than northern cities in today's society. Socially, racially and economically and politically, St. Louis is much more of a northern city than southern. I would argue that the city with the WORST race relations is Chicago, but that's neither here nor there for this topic. There is no evidence that Cleveland's race relations are any better than STL, that's just ridiculous. I'll remind you of the Hough riots in the 1960s.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
This is completely unfounded. According to many sources, Cleveland is even more racially segregated than St. Louis: America's Most Segregated Cities
The 10 most segregated urban areas in America | Slide Show - Salon.com

No arguing the north/south identity crisis that STL has vs. Cleveland, but it's not so relevant in this discussion. Major Southern cities in general have much better race relations and less segregation than northern cities in today's society. Socially, racially and economically and politically, St. Louis is much more of a northern city than southern. I would argue that the city with the WORST race relations is Chicago, but that's neither here nor there for this topic. There is no evidence that Cleveland's race relations are any better than STL, that's just ridiculous. I'll remind you of the Hough riots in the 1960s.
We're talking about today, not the 60s. Cleveland has had several high profile incidents involving white officers and Black victims of police violence, but we haven't seen riots. Why do you think that is?

Your links are a perfect example of statistics not telling the whole story. The main reason Cleveland looks so segregated on paper is because Cleveland is divided in half, both geographically and culturally, by the Cuyahoga River, and this is mostly due to historical patterns of settlement. There are very few Blacks, Jews, or Italians on the West Side. There's 1 synagogue on the West Side, and 38 on the East Side (http://beltmag.com/next-year-tremont/). That's not due to racism, but rather where people's families settled. Sure, block busting and redlining took place here in the 60s, just like most other large cities in those days, I won't deny that segregation and racism have been, and continue to be, problems here. But Blacks migrating north in the 50s and 60s mostly moved to the East Side by choice, because that's where most of the jobs were, and that's where their community was. Today, most East Side suburbs are racially mixed, and people don't have a problem with it. There are well-respected Black people in positions of power throughout the region. Are we a racial paradise? No, of course not, but we're far from a racial powder keg.

Last edited by Cleverfield; 08-20-2015 at 02:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City