Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Powerful City in the Midwest outside of Chi Det and Min
St Louis 41 35.65%
Indianapolis 15 13.04%
Cleveland 31 26.96%
Milwaukee 6 5.22%
Omaha 4 3.48%
Columbus 4 3.48%
Other? Explain 1 0.87%
Cincinnatti 3 2.61%
Louisville 1 0.87%
Kansas City 9 7.83%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 07:04 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,426,906 times

Advertisements

Why do people think Cleveland is more influential than STL? Just curious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 11:27 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,093,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Correct. You asked if I thought Mayo received international patients and I answered you.

I don't think there is a misunderstanding, but if so, please specify what I wrote that was confusing.

MSR
Yes, Mayo draws international patients. I didn't see Rochester, MN as an option above. Perhaps there should be a different type of poll with a smaller metro drawing the most international visitors or something similar.

My point being:

#1. If you did not consider Mayo to be an asset to MSP, I am not sure why you brought it into a conversation where you later said it did not belong.

#2. My insinuation from your earlier post was that Cleveland Clinic's ability to draw international patients was some sort of asset or metric by which one could judge the hospital's quality. No such mention was made for Mayo. If you did not intend to contrast the Cleveland Clinic with the Mayo Clinic, then I am still a bit perplexed about why you mentioned Mayo in that same post to begin with?

Old 08-19-2015, 07:20 AM

538 posts, read 658,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
Bigger CSA, closer to big east coast cities, LBJ (though the Cardinals give STL great exposure)

Reasons for STL would be the Arch and more fortune 500s

Old 08-19-2015, 08:40 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,052,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
According to the poll results the majority of people don't.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:34 AM

I would also add larger MSA for STL and rock and roll HOF for Cleveland

Old 08-19-2015, 11:26 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,660,000 times
I would add for Cleveland more cultural and historical clout than St. Louis has (though St. Louis punches above weight in both regards also). Also a more renowned food scene in various ways (West Side Market and Michael Symon). A location closer to the East Coast as others have mentioned. I know Cleveland region has 19 fortune 1,000 companies (9 in 500). Any numbers on Fortune 500/1000 for St. Louis region, as well as St. Louis CSA's GDP vs Cleveland's? I know St. Louis MSA GDP is higher, but I know Cleveland's CSA is 170 Billion vs 145 Billion for St. Louis MSA. By all means, Akron and Cleveland should be one CSA. I think Cleveland is renowned for park conservation in and around the city, plus having one of the few NPs east of the Mississippi, though one could make a case that St. Louis has more natural splendor within 2 hours than does Cleveland. As pointed out, Cleveland has a larger television market than does St. Louis. It's an interesting comparison, though I think we can agree both are awesome cities.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:30 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,653,601 times
I think comparing the clout of STL and Cleveland is splitting hairs. The two cities/metros are among the most similar in the nation, and they both have strengths/weaknesses in different areas. To say one is clearly superior to the other in most categories only exposes bias. They are on par in virtually everything.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
I think comparing the clout of STL and Cleveland is splitting hairs. The two cities/metros are among the most similar in the nation, and they both have strengths/weaknesses in different areas. To say one is clearly superior to the other in most categories only exposes bias. They are on par in virtually everything.
Could not agree more. Even though I live in Cleveland, I am rooting for STL

Old 08-19-2015, 12:05 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,052,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
I would add for Cleveland more cultural and historical clout than St. Louis has (though St. Louis punches above weight in both regards also). Also a more renowned food scene in various ways (West Side Market and Michael Symon). A location closer to the East Coast as others have mentioned. I know Cleveland region has 19 fortune 1,000 companies (9 in 500). Any numbers on Fortune 500/1000 for St. Louis region, as well as St. Louis CSA's GDP vs Cleveland's? I know St. Louis MSA GDP is higher, but I know Cleveland's CSA is 170 Billion vs 145 Billion for St. Louis MSA. By all means, Akron and Cleveland should be one CSA. I think Cleveland is renowned for park conservation in and around the city, plus having one of the few NPs east of the Mississippi, though one could make a case that St. Louis has more natural splendor within 2 hours than does Cleveland. As pointed out, Cleveland has a larger television market than does St. Louis. It's an interesting comparison, though I think we can agree both are awesome cities.
I agree with the splitting hairs argument. The one thing that struck me as a neutral party in this is your comment about history I think that shows the home town bias. I don't think there's any quantifiable evidence that Cleveland has a more storied history than St Louis. I think St Louis' role as the "gateway to the west" is quite significant. It was one of the most populated cities early on given it's strategic location. I can't remember learning about Clevelands historical role as a kid like I do STL. Although in general this is an unanswerable argument from a factual standpoint anyway so I'm not sure it matters.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:06 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,653,601 times
Sorry Clevelander1991, but Cleveland does not have more historical clout than St. Louis, no matter how you slice it. Lewis and Clark started here, "St. Louis Blues" is the 2nd most recorded song in history, it hosted the largest World's Fair in history and the first Olympics on US soil, and has existed under three flags (France, Spain and the USA). I could go on and on. Cleveland was a little town when St. Louis was already a mature, bustling metropolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City