Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 03:54 PM

150 posts, read 253,779 times

Advertisements

For us, moving from San Francisco/Silicon Valley to Albuquerque has been transformative. We highly recommend it for downshifting professionals from places like the Bay Area or Manhattan/Brooklyn seeking a simpler, nonmaterialistic way of life.

With their extreme politics and varying degrees of cowboy macho, Texas and Arizona are just not on our radar. New Mexico is not extremist. Native Americans and descendants of European Spaniards have a fascinating and unique history here in ABQ, and are both numerous to the present day, exerting as large an effect on the culture here as Anglo or Mexican culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 02:55 AM

33 posts, read 34,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Take it from me,Texas is Texas. It's not a Southern state, nor is it a Southwestern state. It's the West. I've lived in several cities in Texas, and others I have talked to that have lived there say the same thing. We're talking politics and culture here, not necessarily ethnicity, and certainly not history. I'm talking about what its like today.

Arizona, where I have also lived, is far too conservative, right wing and Anglo for me to ever, ever consider it a Southwestern state as well. It just doesn't have that feeling.

New Mexico and Colorado are Southwestern states, and in my mind New Mexico is the epitome of what the Southwest is about. There really is no sense in describing why, because it isn't a verbal thing. Go there and live, and you will know exactly what I'm talking about. Of course, it depends on where you're talking about in New Mexico too. Las Cruces, where we lived for four years before moving here to Florida (which is NOT a Southern state by any stretch of the term), didn't have that Southwest feeling, but that may be because I lived in Albuquerque for so long before we moved to LC. It could also be because LC is so close to Mexico. There is almost no Native American culture or peoples in LC., just as there are very few similarities between Albuq and LC, especially the food. We considered the food in LC to be peasant Mexican food, w/ lots of lard in the beans, lots of cheese slathered on the burritos, etc. The food in Albuq was some of the best food I ever ate in my life outside of New Orleans, and I miss it a lot. If not for the crime and the cold winters, it would be someplace I might like to return to. When we left LC, we were done w/ it.
Geography dictates whether or not a state is southwestern or southern not "feel". Florida is the southernmost state in the United states. How can you say that Florida is not southern?

Old 12-08-2016, 09:01 AM

520 posts, read 611,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebpro5 View Post
Geography dictates whether or not a state is southwestern or southern not "feel". Florida is the southernmost state in the United states. How can you say that Florida is not southern?
Actually, Hawaii is.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:00 PM

8,624 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
For us, moving from San Francisco/Silicon Valley to Albuquerque has been transformative. We highly recommend it for downshifting professionals from places like the Bay Area or Manhattan/Brooklyn seeking a simpler, nonmaterialistic way of life.

With their extreme politics and varying degrees of cowboy macho, Texas and Arizona are just not on our radar. New Mexico is not extremist. Native Americans and descendants of European Spaniards have a fascinating and unique history here in ABQ, and are both numerous to the present day, exerting as large an effect on the culture here as Anglo or Mexican culture.
That's quite subjective. San Francisco embraces extreme politics.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:38 PM

33 posts, read 34,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
Actually, Hawaii is.
The contiguous United States of America.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:47 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post

Excellent post, couldn't have said it better.

Nicer weather too, less extreme heat too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City