U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Birmingham, AL 44 41.51%
Rochester, NY 62 58.49%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 09:04 AM

52,659 posts, read 75,524,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not necessarily. The difference is that the Pittsford area covers a range of suburban and rural areas, along with having 2 colleges in that area, while still having a high median household income. If you look at median home prices for each, it appears that is would be easier to obtain and/or stay in your home in the Pittsford area. Pittsford Central School District - USA.comô

Mountain Brook City School District - USA.comô

Then, you have to consider that the Rochester metro has a higher median household income than the Birmingham metro by about $8000.
Here are the most affluent census tracts for both areas. Pittsford: Census Tract 012306 in Monroe County, New York

Mountain Brook: Census Tract 010802 in Jefferson County, Alabama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 01:41 PM

161 posts, read 262,694 times
I think this is a good comparison of cities but I think you could just as easily have compared neighboring Buffalo to Birmingham. Although Buffalo would blow Bham away in the sports and downtown entertainment areas.

One thing overlooked about Birmingham is its impressive corporate history and in particular its strong history as a banking center. Many people don't realize that as recently as 10 years ago Birmingham was second in the Southeast behind only Charlotte in the amount of banking assets headquartered in a city (even ahead of Atlanta). In other words, when you add up all the assets of banks headquartered in the city. In fact, before all the mega bank mergers of the late 2000s, Birmingham was home to 3 Fortune 500 bank headquarters and a fourth just outside the Fortune 500. As recently as the early 2000s, there were 7 Fortune 500 headquarters based in Birmingham. (Regions, Healthsouth, AmSouth, Caremark, Protective Life, Southtrust, Saks Inc). No one has mentioned in the thread so far so I just thought I'd point that out. Not arguing one way or the other, but I did think it was neat that not that long ago Birmingham had nearly as many Fortune 500 headquarters as much much larger metro areas.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:27 PM

52,659 posts, read 75,524,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
I think this is a good comparison of cities but I think you could just as easily have compared neighboring Buffalo to Birmingham. Although Buffalo would blow Bham away in the sports and downtown entertainment areas.

One thing overlooked about Birmingham is its impressive corporate history and in particular its strong history as a banking center. Many people don't realize that as recently as 10 years ago Birmingham was second in the Southeast behind only Charlotte in the amount of banking assets headquartered in a city (even ahead of Atlanta). In other words, when you add up all the assets of banks headquartered in the city. In fact, before all the mega bank mergers of the late 2000s, Birmingham was home to 3 Fortune 500 bank headquarters and a fourth just outside the Fortune 500. As recently as the early 2000s, there were 7 Fortune 500 headquarters based in Birmingham. (Regions, Healthsouth, AmSouth, Caremark, Protective Life, Southtrust, Saks Inc). No one has mentioned in the thread so far so I just thought I'd point that out. Not arguing one way or the other, but I did think it was neat that not that long ago Birmingham had nearly as many Fortune 500 headquarters as much much larger metro areas.
Very true and in a way, Birmingham seem like a Southern "Rust Belt" metro given its history in regards to steel production, along with having big companies move out of the area.

The only difference I see between Rochester and Buffalo is that Rochester has more of a white collar history.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:59 AM

240 posts, read 234,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post

Saks home office in NYC.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:44 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,645,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricelageorge View Post
Saks home office in NYC.
He knows that. It used to be in Birmingham.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:59 PM

8,646 posts, read 8,784,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_88 View Post
Downtown
Nightlife
Schools (K-12)
Schools (College)
Suburbs
Shopping
Dining
Crime
Cost of Living
Sports
Nightlife, I am really not sure
Schools: Rochester, generally Northeastern States have better public schools than the south
Colleges: RIT/UR is hard to beat for any comparable city not hosting a flagship state university
Shopping: I can't imagine they are much different
Dining: Rochester has Garbage Plates, but if you like deep fried soul food, obviously Birmingham, but Rochester has really good barbecue for a Northern City.
Crime: I believe Rochester is safer
COL: Birmingham is cheaper
Sports: Draw- both have similar minor league sports, Bham has better College football, Rochester has college Hockey, and MLL/NLL lacrosse though. So it depends on what sports you like.
Bonus: Birmingham has great hills/mountains, but Rochester has the a beauty in the Genesse River Gorge, as well as the Lake Ontario shoreline.
Also does Birmingham have an answer to the Strong or Eastman House?

Old 06-14-2016, 04:19 PM

104 posts, read 215,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Also does Birmingham have an answer to the Strong or Eastman House?
The notable museums in Birmingham are McWane (a science museum along with some fossils), Birmingham Museum of Art, and the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute. The Barber Motorsports Museum is also noteworthy, but it's a bit out of the way comparatively.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:11 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,227,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemean View Post
The notable museums in Birmingham are McWane (a science museum along with some fossils), Birmingham Museum of Art, and the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute. The Barber Motorsports Museum is also noteworthy, but it's a bit out of the way comparatively.
Not to mention Sloss Furnaces (The world's only industrial museum), Vulcan, the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, Southern Museum of Flight, and a host of other attractions.

But the Barber Motorsports Museum is a jaw-dropping place, featuring the world's largest collection of motorcycles. People literally come from around the world to see it.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:14 PM

8,646 posts, read 8,784,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Not to mention Sloss Furnaces (The world's only industrial museum), Vulcan, the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, Southern Museum of Flight, and a host of other attractions.

But the Barber Motorsports Museum is a jaw-dropping place, featuring the world's largest collection of motorcycles. People literally come from around the world to see it.

Does Birmingham have a match for the Rochester Public Market? Its a pretty large farmers market with some other things, like clothes and knick naks and such. They have bandstands and food truck rodeos on select days, and other things.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:57 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,227,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Does Birmingham have a match for the Rochester Public Market? Its a pretty large farmers market with some other things, like clothes and knick naks and such. They have bandstands and food truck rodeos on select days, and other things.
There are several that I know of that you describe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or