U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Birmingham, AL 44 41.51%
Rochester, NY 62 58.49%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 07:01 PM

9,342 posts, read 9,476,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
There are several that I know of that you describe.
Really, Several? its comparable to Pike Place or Cleveland's West Side Market? I would be surprised if a city the size of Birmingham had several of these kinds of places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 08:30 PM

28,906 posts, read 46,582,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Really, Several? its comparable to Pike Place or Cleveland's West Side Market? I would be surprised if a city the size of Birmingham had several of these kinds of places.
Wait. I thought we were talking about Rochester, not Cleveland and Seattle. So let's try not to move the goalposts, please. While I have been to Rochester during my consulting days with Xerox (Nice town, by the way) I haven't visited the local farmer's markets. But we have Pepper Place and at least one other just in the city itself, with several more out in the suburbs. They are large, with live music, cooking classes, trades, bands, etc., chiefly because Birmingham has a very strong farm-to-table movement that feeds its restaurant scene. Help me understand why you're so surprised, given that the metro area has about 100,000 more people than Rochester's.

In fact, just because your entire criteria seems to hinge on farmers markets, I guess I need to point out that two Birmingham markets made The Daily List's 100 best Farmer's Markets, whatever that means. Heck, who would have thought somebody would make a list anyway? And, actually, something like the Pike's Street Market is being built in downtown Birmingham right now.

http://www.thedailymeal.com/101-best...ets-in-america

THE MARKET AT PEPPER PLACE

Oh, one other thing I noticed in one of your earlier posts. Do you really think our restaurant scene consists of soul food restaurants and barbecue joints? http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...nd-coming.html

Last edited by cpg35223; 06-14-2016 at 09:05 PM..

Old 06-14-2016, 11:00 PM

4,961 posts, read 4,022,556 times
Downtown: Rochester
Nightlife: Rochester
Schools (K-12): Rochester
Schools (College): Rochester
Suburbs: Birmingham
Shopping: Birmingham
Dining: Birmingham
Crime: Rochester
Cost of Living: Birmingham
Sports: Rochester
Transportation: Rochester
Infrastructure: Rochester

Rochester would be my choice because it appears to be better all around. I like the setting of the city.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:02 AM

56,252 posts, read 80,408,935 times
Quote:
Does Birmingham have a match for the Rochester Public Market? Its a pretty large farmers market with some other things, like clothes and knick naks and such. They have bandstands and food truck rodeos on select days, and other things.
Here are some other farmers markets in the Rochester area: Rochester area farmers markets | democratandchronicle.com

Old 06-15-2016, 03:11 AM

56,252 posts, read 80,408,935 times
Quote:
Wait. I thought we were talking about Rochester, not Cleveland and Seattle. So let's try not to move the goalposts, please. While I have been to Rochester during my consulting days with Xerox (Nice town, by the way) I haven't visited the local farmer's markets. But we have Pepper Place and at least one other just in the city itself, with several more out in the suburbs. They are large, with live music, cooking classes, trades, bands, etc., chiefly because Birmingham has a very strong farm-to-table movement that feeds its restaurant scene. Help me understand why you're so surprised, given that the metro area has about 100,000 more people than Rochester's.

In fact, just because your entire criteria seems to hinge on farmers markets, I guess I need to point out that two Birmingham markets made The Daily List's 100 best Farmer's Markets, whatever that means. Heck, who would have thought somebody would make a list anyway? And, actually, something like the Pike's Street Market is being built in downtown Birmingham right now.

101 Best Farmers Markets in America for 2015

Oh, one other thing I noticed in one of your earlier posts. Do you really think our restaurant scene consists of soul food restaurants and barbecue joints? http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...nd-coming.html
I think he meant if you want that type of food, that Birmingham would be better in that regard. With that said, I'm sure it has more than that and Rochester does have its share of Soul Food, Caribbean and BBQ spots as well: Southern Cuisine - Rochester Wiki

Caribbean Food - Rochester Wiki

BBQ - Rochester Wiki

People may not realize that Rochester has one of the highest Black percentages for a major/mid-major city in the Northeast at around 42% or so. Only Newark and Philadelphia, with maybe a few smaller cities, having a higher percentage. So, finding that type of cuisine shouldn't really be that big of a surprise.

Here are some more good choices: Restaurants - Rochester Wiki

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-15-2016 at 03:48 AM..

Old 06-15-2016, 05:45 AM

Quote:

101 Best Farmers Markets in America for 2015

No, I said Birmingham would have the clear edge in Southern soul food, not that that was the only food around. Everything else I would assume would be pretty close, not that I've fully sampled either city, but they seem similar.
I am aware Birmingham is a mid-sized city.
It is actually quite unique in the south in its industrial past. Other than some much smaller Piedmont cities, most other older southern cities are Rivertowns (New Orleans, Memphis), or port towns (Savannah, Charleston).

Last edited by btownboss4; 06-15-2016 at 06:30 AM..

Old 06-15-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
If you want to call some one immature you should at least spell it right.

As I said I grew up in the borderline south. I like southern cooking just fine. But in general it leads to weakness in the myriad of other cuisines. Sorry about that but pretty broadly true.

That opinion is based on 40 years of extensively traveling the country.
Eating in Olive Gardens doesn't count.

Look, I get it. I've been to Rochester. Eaten at some really good restaurants. Would I compare it to Birmingham? No.

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...nd-coming.html

Last edited by cpg35223; 06-15-2016 at 12:19 PM..

Old 06-15-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Eating in Olive Gardens doesn't count.

Look, I get it. I've been to Rochester. Eaten at some really good restaurants. Would I compare it to Birmingham? No.

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...nd-coming.html
Other than southern food where does Birmingham surpass Rochester?

Old 06-15-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Other than southern food where does Birmingham surpass Rochester?
Well, besides the fact that we have two or three chefs from different restaurants as perennial finalists the Beard awards? And they're not running barbecue stands.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Well, besides the fact that we have two or three chefs from different restaurants as perennial finalists the Beard awards? And they're not running barbecue stands.
Again, what cuisine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or