U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Birmingham, AL 44 41.51%
Rochester, NY 62 58.49%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 07:23 AM

28,906 posts, read 45,227,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Something I found interesting is Birmingham is only 10 degrees warmer in the summer (July) (90 vs 80) while 20 degrees warmer in the Winter (January) (52 vs 32).
Also Birmingham is sunnier, surprising considering it is in a rather deep valley, strong sun must burn off clouds.
It's really not in a deep valley. It's more of a five-mile wide depression between two long ridge lines. Now when you get to the suburbs north and south of town, the variations in terrain do indeed become far more pronounced.

That's why snowfall and ice storms are so paralyzing in the 'Ham, by the way. First, because they are so rare, we really don't have the equipment to deal with it. The typical snowfall here is an inch every other year, which mostly melts by midday. We literally hang out at home, drink coffee or bloody Marys until it melts, then go to work. Because you don't want a million Southerners who are inexperienced at winter driving (And without snow tires) to navigate in that mess.

The terrain is a big complicating factor for that. Because we have these hills and ridge lines, there are a limited number of arteries leaving town. Combine ice, steep grades, and a lot of drivers inexperienced driving in winter conditions on a limited number of roads and you can imagine the results.

So when we get a freak ice storm every ten years or so, it's traumatic. Two years ago, we had two inches of ice fall unexpectedly in the middle of a work day. The weather service had totally muffed the forecast, so it was took us all by surprise. I was in a meeting when it began falling at 9:30. Because we had people in from out of town, we couldn't stop. By 12:30 when the meeting wrapped up, it was like the zombie apocalypse. I was the lucky one with a 4WD, so I managed to make it to my BIL's house eight miles away. But my wife was picking up our son from school and took five hours to drive two miles.

Of course, the real head scratcher in all this was Atlanta. Atlanta typically gets our weather four-five hours later. So you have to wonder why the people of Atlanta didn't see a crippling ice storm hit Birmingham and send everyone home before it arrived. The traffic snarls were horrific. I think there are people who still haven't made it home.

Then there was March, 1993. Twenty inches on my front walk. You can well-nigh imagine the effect it had here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 08:59 AM

52,659 posts, read 75,524,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Syracuse is because of their sports teams. But I don't see how someone can make a determination about everyday people. I've met people from all over (including overseas) who have attended RIT or UofR and that's why they know of Rochester. I've met plenty of people who know of Rochester because of those schools but have not attended. And while that's all anecdotal, how else do you measure what everyday people think?

To be honest, I don't think of South Bend or Columbus as university cities. Maybe that's because I don't care about college sports all that much? Still, sports schools aren't necessarily good schools.
I think it is also because of its Communications school(Newhouse), which is (arguably) the best in the country. It also has a highly ranked Architecture program and Library Science program, with its Business school(Whitman) climbing up the ranks as well. Its Visual and Performing Arts(VPA) school has some good programs with some famous people graduating from there too.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Parkside, Five Points, Lakeview, The Highlands, Avondale, Woodlawn, Forest Park, UAB Area, Crestwood, etc. As far as Suburbs go, you have Trussville, Leeds, Hoover, Homewood, Mountain Brook, etc. Homewood actually being the most interesting, having the most diverse businesses, Hoover having the most things to do.

Actually, Birmingham is pretty comparable to most cities in NY outside of NYC, but like you said, Birmingham acts as the larger city; as far as Development, and proposed projects go.
This map seems to give a good illustration of where these neighborhoods are located: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...BHUeFtq1c8Pk-M

Old 06-22-2016, 12:40 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,227,864 times
Here's another good map.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:49 PM
_OT

2,051 posts, read 1,295,791 times
Quote:
Something I found interesting is Birmingham is only 10 degrees warmer in the summer (July) (90 vs 80) while 20 degrees warmer in the Winter (January) (52 vs 32).
Also Birmingham is sunnier, surprising considering it is in a rather deep valley, strong sun must burn off clouds.
When you add in the humidity, that 90 degrees could feel like 100, just think about when it actually reaches 100. Rochester might have more sustainable summer weather; in Birmingham, you wear anything Black, you're committing suicide.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:52 PM
_OT

2,051 posts, read 1,295,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Here's another good map.
LMAO

My laugh for today

Old 06-23-2016, 06:15 AM

8,646 posts, read 8,781,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think it is also because of its Communications school(Newhouse), which is (arguably) the best in the country. It also has a highly ranked Architecture program and Library Science program, with its Business school(Whitman) climbing up the ranks as well. Its Visual and Performing Arts(VPA) school has some good programs with some famous people graduating from there too.
While Syracuse, Notre Dame, and Ohio State are great schools, they do get more public (not industry) recognition for their sports teams.
While RIT Hockey is the only DI program in the state (not in a power conference), the only Hockey teams outside the Great Lakes and New England is UAB (!!) and Arizona State, so they don't get the same exposure as the all-DI schools.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
While Syracuse, Notre Dame, and Ohio State are great schools, they do get more public (not industry) recognition for their sports teams.
While RIT Hockey is the only DI program in the state (not in a power conference), the only Hockey teams outside the Great Lakes and New England is UAB (!!) and Arizona State, so they don't get the same exposure as the all-DI schools.
NYS also has St. Lawrence, Clarkson, RPI, Union, Canisius, Niagara, Colgate and Cornell which play D1 Hockey. The first 4 are D3 schools in other sports.

I think you meant that Alabama-Huntsville has D1 Hockey instead of UAB.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-23-2016 at 12:20 PM..

Old 06-23-2016, 11:36 AM

8,646 posts, read 8,781,877 times
Quote:
NYS also has St. Lawrence, Clarkson, RPI, Union, Canisius, Niagara, Colgate and Cornell which play D1 Hockey. The first 4 are D3 schools in other sports.

I think you meant Alabama-Huntsville has D1 Hockey instead of UAB.
meant metro, not state.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:03 PM

7 posts, read 3,830 times
Quote:
What are the nationally regarded school districts in the Birmingham area? In Rochester, Brighton, Pittsford, Honeoye Falls-Lima, Penfield and Fairport come to mind immediately.

What other major metros are close to Birmingham? Toronto can still have an influence, as it is not unusual for Upstate NY areas to get Canadian radio and TV stations or even have family in Upstate NY metro areas.

Birmingham is a bigger city in terms of land, but Rochester also has vibrancy in its SE Quadrant neighborhoods: Southeast Quadrant - Rochester Wiki Rochester also has multiple walkable suburbs and some with their own scenes like Brockport, Fairport, Pittsford, Webster, Spencerport, etc.

Keep in mind that I agree that they are similar. So, this isn't a knock on Birmingham either, but there may be some things being left out on the Rochester end. That's all.

In terms of school districts in Birmingham, outside of the City of Birmingham School District; we have many schools such as Homewood, Mountain Brook, Hoover, Ramsay (bham city), Vestavia Hills, Oak Mountain, and Hewitt Trussville that have been nationally recognized for their achievements. We also have one school that consistently ranks in the top 20 nationally, JCIB (Jefferson County International Baccalaureate). I attend this school, so that's why I'm speaking of it separately, and putting so much emphasis on it. This year, JCIB was ranked #8 in the nation by Washington Post (https://apps.washingtonpost.com/loca...list/national/), and also ranked 13th on the best high schools list (The 50 Best Public High Schools in the U.S. | The Best Schools).

Also other metros that are close to Birmingham are Memphis, Atlanta, Memphis. and New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or