U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Birmingham, AL 44 41.51%
Rochester, NY 62 58.49%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 12:28 AM

12,205 posts, read 17,592,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, the Rochester area has never lost people in terms of population and is actually quite a white collar city/area. I understand that this is about an opinion, but given information, the quality of life will depend on the topic. Shopping doesn't seem to be that much different given that the best shopping centers in both aren't that far apart in terms of size and clientele. Food is interesting given the makeup of the cities/areas and the influence on the scenes of both.

Rochester does still have the presence of companies like Xerox, Kodak and Bausch and Lomb, with other companies and the new Photonics investment.

Pittsford would fit in with high end suburbs in any metro in this country, as the median household income for its school district(about 33,000 people) is above $100,000. So, it is no slouch.

Like Mutiny77 mentioned, this is more about getting information to get an apples to apples comparison. Keep in mind that one city/area is the biggest in one state and the other is the 3rd biggest city/metro in its state. So, that may or may not be a factor.
Birmingham is a much better shopping destination because it has a much larger pull than Rochester. Rochester does seem depressing though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 12:47 AM

6,795 posts, read 6,604,483 times
What pull does Birmingham really have for shopping? I'd imagine if people want a real shopping experience in the Southeast, they'd go to Atlanta which is the premier shopping destination of the Southeast(This does not include Florida).

Old 08-21-2015, 02:58 AM

12,205 posts, read 17,592,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
What pull does Birmingham really have for shopping? I'd imagine if people want a real shopping experience in the Southeast, they'd go to Atlanta which is the premier shopping destination of the Southeast(This does not include Florida).
Lol

Old 08-21-2015, 03:04 AM
_OT

2,057 posts, read 1,302,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Wait, how does that sound? If that's the case, if people want a real shopping experience in the Northeast they'd go to New York lol. Let's just forget about all the other surrounding cities...

Old 08-21-2015, 08:05 AM

3,631 posts, read 6,128,830 times
Quote:
Actually, the Rochester area has never lost people in terms of population.
It hasn't ? Roc 's peak population was 332k in the 50's and B-ham's was 340k in the 60's. So both cities have experinced significant decline. Dowtown B-ham does look more dense and impressive ,though I've nevwr been to Roc.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:24 AM

3,362 posts, read 2,264,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
It hasn't ? Roc 's peak population was 332k in the 50's and B-ham's was 340k in the 60's. So both cities have experinced significant decline. Dowtown B-ham does look more dense and impressive ,though I've nevwr been to Roc.
He's talking about Rochester metro, which in fact hasn't ever lost population. And it is the healthiest metro in New York State besides The City...

Rochester just has a small skyline, and while I'd call Birmingham's downtown better overall, it certainly isn't by leaps and bounds...

Old 08-21-2015, 08:59 AM

52,746 posts, read 75,683,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
He's talking about Rochester metro, which in fact hasn't ever lost population. And it is the healthiest metro in New York State besides The City...

Rochester just has a small skyline, and while I'd call Birmingham's downtown better overall, it certainly isn't by leaps and bounds...
^This....

@SouthernBoy205, while Birmingham may have more pull, when looking at the Galleria and Eastview, the Galleria isn't that much bigger than Eastview and they appear to attract the same type of shopper.

Eastview also gets competition from DestinyUSA in Syracuse, which is the 6th biggest shopping center in the country. It isn't uncommon to see Eastview Mall commericials in the Syracuse area and DestinyUSA commericials in the Rochester area and both get their share of Canadian shoppers. So, in that case, Eastview gets quite a few shoppers from other areas as well. There is also an outlet mall(Waterloo Premium Outlets) that isn't too far away and in between Rochester and Syracuse and is in the Rochester CSA. Waterloo Premium Outlets

Rochester, like most, if not all cities, is going to have a range of neighborhoods. Even in the 19th Ward, which is a mostly Black, but still diverse area in the city's SW Quadrant, it can range from lower/working to solidly middle class. 19th Ward - Rochester Wiki Here are some street views of that area: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1290...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1357...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1273...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1263...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1402...8i6656!6m1!1e1

What is kind of interesting about that neighborhood is that it is in between the Wegmans Headquarters in nearby Gates and the University of Rochester, with the Rochester Institute of Technology and Rochester International Airport not too far away. It also has Wilson Magnet, which is the one of the best public options(along with School of the Arts which is where Tweet(the R&B singer) and Taye Diggs went to school) in terms of high schools in the city of Rochester. There have been students moving into rental homes and I wonder if it may be an area that is on the radar for more development. Here is a recent development in that area: Brooks Landing Project - Rochester Wiki

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-21-2015 at 09:15 AM..

Old 08-21-2015, 09:40 AM

11,790 posts, read 12,665,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

Fair enough, but the premise of this thread is determine which is better at which, right? I don't get why these types of threads are so popular, but whenever the "popular" city comes up short people start downplaying the other city's advantage. It doesn't matter if Birmingham isn't "leaps and bounds" ahead...just ahead...right?

Quote:
^This....

@SouthernBoy205, while Birmingham may have more pull, when looking at the Galleria and Eastview, the Galleria isn't that much bigger than Eastview and they appear to attract the same type of shopper.
That's fine and all, but you can't talk about Birmingham shopping and not mention the Summit which is the premier shopping destination here. It has many shops that have the one and only Alabama location and is a reference for all lifestyle centers nationwide. We can do outlet shopping too with the Shops at Grand River. There are, of course, several other mall/shopping centers but most of them provide a remix of the standard fare you'll find everywhere with the only standout being Brookwood Village which gets a nod because of its unique construction, location and the renovations it has undergone and (on going) lately.

http://www.thesummitonline.com/birmingham/stores

http://www.shopsofgrandriver.com/finder.php

http://www.shopbrookwoodvillage.com/

Old 08-21-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Fair enough, but the premise of this thread is determine which is better at which, right? I don't get why these types of threads are so popular, but whenever the "popular" city comes up short people start downplaying the other city's advantage. It doesn't matter if Birmingham isn't "leaps and bounds" ahead...just ahead...right?

That's fine and all, but you can't talk about Birmingham shopping and not mention the Summit which is the premier shopping destination here. It has many shops that have the one and only Alabama location and is a reference for all lifestyle centers nationwide. We can do outlet shopping too with the Shops at Grand River. There are, of course, several other mall/shopping centers but most of them provide a remix of the standard fare you'll find everywhere with the only standout being Brookwood Village which gets a nod because of its unique construction, location and the renovations it has undergone and (on going) lately.

Stores | The Summit - Birmingham, AL

The Outlet Shops of Grand River

Brookwood Village :: 780 Brookwood Village Birmingham, AL 35209 :: (205) 871-0406
Those do look nice. Here are the malls in the Rochester area: Wilmorite :

Here are the Rochester city neighborhoods where you may get some other shopping/restaurants: Park Avenue | Rochester NY | Restaurant | Boutique | Salon | Coffee Shop | Deli | Pub | 14607
Park Avenue - Rochester Wiki

South Wedge - Rochester Wiki
South Wedge | Rochester, NY

East End - Rochester Wiki
Rochester's East End | Downtown Entertainment and Living in Rochester, NY

East Avenue Historic District - Rochester Wiki

A few other shopping centers: Towne Center Webster - Rochester Wiki

Pittsford Plaza - Rochester Wiki
Pittsford Plaza Rochester, NY | Pittsford Plaza

More shopping here: Strip Malls - Rochester Wiki

More city neighborhoods: Monroe Village - Rochester Wiki

Swillburg - Rochester Wiki
Welcome to Swillburg! | The Swillburg neighborhood is a cozy, active, triangular shaped 20 block community located in Rochester, New York.

Highland Park Neighborhood - Rochester Wiki
Highland Park Neighborhood Association | "The Finest and Healthiest Part of The City"

Charlotte - Rochester Wiki
Charlotte Community Association

As for sports, this may help in regards to Rochester: Sports - Rochester Wiki

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-21-2015 at 10:15 AM..

Old 08-21-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
^This....

Eastview also gets competition from DestinyUSA in Syracuse, which is the 6th biggest shopping center in the country. It isn't uncommon to see Eastview Mall commericials in the Syracuse area and DestinyUSA commericials in the Rochester area and both get their share of Canadian shoppers. So, in that case, Eastview gets quite a few shoppers from other areas as well. There is also an outlet mall(Waterloo Premium Outlets) that isn't too far away and in between Rochester and Syracuse and is in the Rochester CSA. Waterloo Premium Outlets

Rochester, like most, if not all cities, is going to have a range of neighborhoods. Even in the 19th Ward, which is a mostly Black, but still diverse area in the city's SW Quadrant, it can range from lower/working to solidly middle class. 19th Ward - Rochester Wiki Here are some street views of that area: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1290...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1357...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1273...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1263...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1402...8i6656!6m1!1e1

What is kind of interesting about that neighborhood is that it is in between the Wegmans Headquarters in nearby Gates and the University of Rochester, with the Rochester Institute of Technology and Rochester International Airport not too far away. It also has Wilson Magnet, which is the one of the best public options(along with School of the Arts which is where Tweet(the R&B singer) and Taye Diggs went to school) in terms of high schools in the city of Rochester. There have been students moving into rental homes and I wonder if it may be an area that is on the radar for more development. Here is a recent development in that area: Brooks Landing Project - Rochester Wiki
Just as a suggestion, if looking into this neighborhood, I suggest looking south of Brooks and west of Thurston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or