U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 10:12 AM

21,945 posts, read 30,810,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
My own view of it is:

1-5 low-rise
6-19 mid-rise
20-49 high-rise
50-99 skyscraper
100+ supertall

wouldnt height be better than floors given the stark differences in floor height among commercial and reidential
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 10:21 AM

3,231 posts, read 3,477,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
wouldnt height be better than floors given the stark differences in floor height among commercial and reidential
Yes, it goes by height, not floor count. The floor count varies depending on the tower use/design.

Supertall over 1,000ft
Skyscraper 650 - 999ft
Highrise 300 - 649ft

Old 08-18-2015, 10:56 AM

632 posts, read 718,209 times
1. New York-although it's already more developed than any other city in the U.S., both lower Manhattan and Midtown Manhattan growth is enormous compared to any other city.
2. Los Angeles
3. DC
4. Atlanta (Midtown)
5. Seattle

Old 08-19-2015, 02:34 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,201 times
MY Reasoning for Commenting on CHICAGO SHOULD BE ON THE LIST Is how Areas right downtown along the River. Despite a otherwise park, harbor and beach lakefront. I even remember was still a blemish in the 80s former Docks, industry, Railroad beds and Trucking areas.

The New East side was still just evolving and Near North's Streeterville was still with aspects of rustbelt abandonment.

Chicago's former area that became its New East Side on right and Near North(Streeterville)
Also for PERSPECTIVE FOR THE NEXT BELOW THIS TODAY picture.

This Long Area into the Lake Became its Navy Pier �� Entertainment Area.

The Picture is the VIEW FROM THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION OF ABOVE FORMERLY HOW IT LOOKED.
You can see Navy Pier and Chicago's Water Filtration plant in the Foreground.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:15 PM

My 5 list

Chicago- Still improving. Especially last 15 years. My favorite and keeps impressing. Despite any issues it has. I gave PROOF by pictures. Before and after.
Philly- Gentrification finally came to Center City. Now it is seen all through Downtown and finally a real Skyline.
DC- Continues to Gentrify and many boast of all the new construction. Despite no Skyscrapers.
Cleveland- Making strides as it can. Can't seem to get new Skyscrapers. But doing good things otherwise.
Nashville- Capital of Country and more. Keeping all its original identity. But with many improvements.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:34 PM

3,141 posts, read 3,624,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
My 5 list

Chicago- Still improving. Especially last 15 years. My favorite and keeps impressing. Despite any issues it has. I gave PROOF by pictures. Before and after.
Philly- Gentrification finally came to Center City. Now it is seen all through Downtown and finally a real Skyline.
DC- Continues to Gentrify and many boast of all the new construction. Despite no Skyscrapers.
Cleveland- Making strides as it can. Can't seem to get new Skyscrapers. But doing good things otherwise.
Nashville- Capital of Country and more. Keeping all its original identity. But with many improvements.
Regarding Cleveland, while it may not qualify as a skyscraper, we do have a 374 foot, 28 story Hilton hotel currently being built, and we have this on the way: way:First look: nuCLEus project renderings show 54-story tower in downtown Cleveland (gallery) | cleveland.com

Old 08-20-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Regarding Cleveland, while it may not qualify as a skyscraper, we do have a 374 foot, 28 story Hilton hotel currently being built, and we have this on the way: way:First look: nuCLEus project renderings show 54-story tower in downtown Cleveland (gallery) | cleveland.com
Wow that looks great. Odd but nice Building. Will certainly be a boost to kickstart a new Skyline and 54 stories is not small.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:03 PM

1,707 posts, read 947,712 times
1. LA
2. Denver
3. Miami
4. Philadelphia
5. Atlanta

But seriously, I don't think anyone is necessarily correct. A lot of cities could be interpreted as up and coming. Regardless, A big shout out to LA as they have really pushed hard to get the the DT area into major transition mode. Orlando's Downtown was also in a scene of transition when I was there in May.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
1. LA
2. Denver
3. Miami
4. Philadelphia
5. Atlanta

But seriously, I don't think anyone is necessarily correct. A lot of cities could be interpreted as up and coming. Regardless, A big shout out to LA as they have really pushed hard to get the the DT area into major transition mode. Orlando's Downtown was also in a scene of transition when I was there in May.
LA will be on my future list. Most activity is too new. Not enough finished.... I want to see more done.....

Old 08-21-2015, 09:33 AM

87 posts, read 182,730 times
Rather than a sarcastic and snide comment, I will provide an ernest answer to the question.
In what I have experienced, these are the cities which are having a downtown renaissance:
Denver
Seattle
Philadelphia
Cincinnati
Portland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or