U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which is better?
King Street (Alexandria, VA) 10 45.45%
King Street (Charleston, SC) 12 54.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2015, 09:32 PM
 
27,752 posts, read 24,774,360 times
Reputation: 16474

Advertisements

It's the battle of the King Streets--the main drag in two of the most historic cities in the Southern U.S.

Which one wins in terms of retail/restaurant selection, architecture, pedestrian activity, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-18-2015, 09:14 AM
 
27,752 posts, read 24,774,360 times
Reputation: 16474
Here are a few pictures of King Street, Charleston, SC. If anyone has any of Alexandria's, feel free to post them.









Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2015, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,612 posts, read 24,808,715 times
Reputation: 11185
Charleston. I think this one is pretty easy.

King Street Charleston is longer and more charming imo. It probably has more 18th Century buildings than any thoroughfare in the United States. It's also the drag among all drags in the metro and is a major tourist draw. The DC area equivalent (in terms of tourist appeal) is M Street. Old Town, while fairly active, is more like a nice little area of the metro that you forget is there sometimes. From a tourism/shopping perspective, it is greatly overshadowed by M Street, and many tourists will never even know of its existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2015, 04:09 AM
 
1,333 posts, read 1,155,455 times
Reputation: 1149
The buildings on King St. in Charleston are interesting, but I was surprised at how many of the stores are stores they have everywhere else.

Although I do like the red brick of Alexandria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2015, 06:40 AM
 
Location: alexandria, VA
6,896 posts, read 3,617,660 times
Reputation: 4057
I haven't been to Charleston but from the pics King Street looks very impressive. Alexandria is my home town so I'm familiar with its' King Street. A very nice Street too. It used to have a pretty good music scene too with a half dozen or more bars and restaurants with live music. Not so much anymore but still a few spots. Some day I'd like to visit Charleston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2015, 06:54 AM
 
27,752 posts, read 24,774,360 times
Reputation: 16474
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Charleston. I think this one is pretty easy.

King Street Charleston is longer and more charming imo. It probably has more 18th Century buildings than any thoroughfare in the United States. It's also the drag among all drags in the metro and is a major tourist draw. The DC area equivalent (in terms of tourist appeal) is M Street. Old Town, while fairly active, is more like a nice little area of the metro that you forget is there sometimes. From a tourism/shopping perspective, it is greatly overshadowed by M Street, and many tourists will never even know of its existence.
King Street in Alexandria from the Potomac to the Metro station is practically the same length as the commercial stretch of King in Charleston from Broad to I-26, and most people don't venture much beyond King in Charleston past Calhoun and certainly not as far up to I-26. So I think the most active stretches of each street are comparable in length.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2016, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Dublin, OH
2,359 posts, read 3,301,623 times
Reputation: 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
King Street in Alexandria from the Potomac to the Metro station is practically the same length as the commercial stretch of King in Charleston from Broad to I-26, and most people don't venture much beyond King in Charleston past Calhoun and certainly not as far up to I-26. So I think the most active stretches of each street are comparable in length.
I think Upper King Street is the area that is changing the most on the Charleston peninsula though...more of the mom and pop type shops are up there and lots of new residential apartments going in up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2016, 04:56 PM
 
1,487 posts, read 1,137,572 times
Reputation: 1415
King St in Alexandria is a congested, traffic clogged nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2016, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,215 posts, read 25,914,317 times
Reputation: 8968
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
King St in Alexandria is a congested, traffic clogged nightmare.
That's why it's best to walk it. Charming area but I never been to the one in Charleston so I won't vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2016, 05:17 PM
 
27,752 posts, read 24,774,360 times
Reputation: 16474
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I think Upper King Street is the area that is changing the most on the Charleston peninsula though...more of the mom and pop type shops are up there and lots of new residential apartments going in up there.
Yeah it's definitely changing but I do like the more local flavor of that section of King. Hope it doesn't lose too much of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top